Wifi boosters: peoples experiences, what can you pick up ? (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This year we want to get the benefit of having a MH more than last year as we were and still are learning. This means that we'll be less on campsites and mainly using aires and France Passion sites, plus some wild camping.

But still we'd like to be able to use wifi based devices like iPhones, iPads and a laptop. A wifi booster springs to mind but honestly what can you connect to that's free and accessible when you're out and about ? When I use my laptop in a hotel I sometimes get 5-10 wifi access points of which non are any good to me, will I end up with the same result in this case ? just a long list of secure networks that are neither use nor ornament ?

We travel across Europe so roaming charges kill any GSM connections.

What's peoples experience with these before I buy another "toy":Doh:

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
I believe (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) but a wifi booster will give you the same result as you describe from a hotel room. All it will do is 'boost' the signal that you maybe near. The signal if secure will still be secure but a booster may pick up & boost an unsecure signal. If you are travelling the UK there are loads of wifi areas around retail parks where a booster will pick up a number of free wifi signals. McDonalds offer free wifi ( I would only buy a coffee) you may also find many of pubs & coffee shops offering free wifi, but if travelling Europe you may need to go down the P.A.Y.G wifi dongle route.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I believe (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) but a wifi booster will give you the same result as you describe from a hotel room. All it will do is 'boost' the signal that you maybe near. The signal if secure will still be secure but a booster may pick up & boost an unsecure signal. If you are travelling the UK there are loads of wifi areas around retail parks where a booster will pick up a number of free wifi signals. McDonalds offer free wifi ( I would only buy a coffee) you may also find many of pubs & coffee shops offering free wifi, but if travelling Europe you may need to go down the P.A.Y.G wifi dongle route.

Tried it, if you want to spend your time hunting down freebies or parked up only in a certain area because there is a freebie , great but really, you have to get a dongle/mifi with a data sim card and be free.

You could use a vodaphone data set up --£3 per per day all in ,and use your phone as a hotspot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Tried it, if you want to spend your time hunting down freebies or parked up only in a certain area because there is a freebie , great but really, you have to get a dongle/mifi with a data sim card and be free.

You could use a vodaphone data set up --£3 per per day all in ,and use your phone as a hotspot.

This is my concern, that i spend ages looking for a free or open wifi connection. Data roaming charges are already crazy prices on my Swisscom SIM so I can't consider that route. Was hoping that you'd all say it was easy to pick up some good free access points....

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am on a campsite in Benidorm using a booster and have around 15 full signals from it. All locked, but the difference the booster makes is that my neighbour is not using a booster and my internet speed is better than twice as fast as his. Although am paying for my internet the booster makes a hell of a lot of difference. Campsite wifi is notoriously weak and a booster will make a difference.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I have a mifi unlocked, walked into an orange France shop bought a sim they topped it up never had a problem anywhere

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are loads of FON hotspots in the UK which you can use if you use BT internet. They are very rare in France though which is where I would find them useful.:Sad:
Some sites have free wifi though usually only in the area of reception. A wifi booster may enable you to access it from your pitch.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I thought I read somewhere on here that to get a data sim in France you had to have a French address

A mate of mine just walked into a SFR shop, bought a dongle over the counter and also loaded it. He doesn't have an address in France. The top up is more expensive than in the UK though.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I thought I read somewhere on here that to get a data sim in France you had to have a French address

I think thats probally correct for a contract, this however is their pay as you go all I need was a passport or driving liscense. To be honest the mifi was in my pocket in the van and I never lost a signal.

Because it was a French sim I didnt get roaming charges just the standard rate which was about 10 euro

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
all the booster does is boost i have 1 and i wouldnt be without it it will pick up wifi for around a mile but if the system you hitch onto is locked then you wont be able to piggyback onto it but in range of a macdonalds and then its free the main reason for a booster is on some sites wifi is only available in designated areas then the booster will allow access in the comfort of your mh and at places like marjal where the wifi signal although free is rubbish then the booster allows you to use the system with no problems

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back