LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have on average about 8 - 10 various makes of birds in our garden during the day...

But my favorite for looks and antics has to be the "Long Tailed Tit" prettiest little bird I have seen..

What`s yours... ?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 18

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mine is the old garden Robin Red Breast
Cant see one without thinking of me ole Dad.
He told me they were called "Painters Ghosts"
He was a Painter and Decorator and the story goes that come the appearance of the first Robins in the Gardens or Building sites it was for sure the signal for painters to start getting laid off work for the winter a rough time for all building workers.
So it was told that when Painters die they come back as Robins to haunt there fellow tradesmen
Off now to google that story to see if it was his alone or a general building trade tale
Meanwhile has anyone else heard it:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 13

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well that didnt take long
The Bird with too many names
Most Common English Name
Robin

Scientific Name
Erithacas rubecula

Scots Names:
Bob Robin
Mason's Ghost
Painter's Ghost
Red Rab
Redbreast
Robin Ruch
Ruddock
Robinet
Robin Redbreast

Gaelic Names
Bru-dheargh
Pigidh
Bruin-deargan

I wonder how many names this bird has right across Europe.

Any idea why it is Painter's Ghost or Mason's Ghost?

Well, according to "Scottish Birds - Culture & Tradition" by Robin Hull:

Most names relate to plumage but the odd name Mason's Ghost is related to the bird's love of haunting old masonry, where it may have been likened to the spirit of the mason who built the wall. It is sometimes called the Painter's Ghost as "it is much in evidence when painters cannot work because of inclemency of the weather".*:Cool:

*Forbes A. R, Gaelic Names of Beasts, Birds, Fishes, Insects, Reptiles etc (Oliver & Boyd, Edinburgh, 1905)

In America there is a much bigger native Thrush with a red breast, also known as a Robin Red Breast due to being named after the smaller English bird by the first early English settlers:thumb:
In The US this bird is also called the "Landlord" due to sitting in a nearby tree watching people do their gardenand yard chores, much like a nosey Landlord:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
My favourite is the Blackbird especially the male when he is in full mating plumage.:Smile:

His song in the evening is a joy to hear and he is such a confident and cheeky chap.:thumb:

Attachments

• Blackbird.jpg
    Blackbird.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 10

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Favourite in ours (doesn't really count as a garden though) is the canada geese. I just like them! One has even taken to following us around. The female is nesting on the island so won't see much of her for a while, the son is off...well it's that time of the year! ::bigsmile:

What has arrived is a whistling duck - no idea where it came from, but it has arrived and is very pretty!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have only recently looked at our native bird life, because of our wild New-Forest garden, and much of the bird life is just as you have pictured Mo.

I have two current favourites, the bull finch

bullfinch_m_470x353.jpg

because of it's magnificent plumage and the cheeky little nuthatch because he's the last to fly away when I disturb them from their feeder.

Nuthatch-John-Hardin-BTO.jpg

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We have on average about 8 - 10 various makes of birds in our garden during the day...

But my favorite for looks and antics has to be the "Long Tailed Tit" prettiest little bird I have seen..

You've always been one that likes "Tits" :thumb:

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Its the goldfinch for me :Smile: i think they are so pretty and delicate i have two that visit my garden quite frequently and they sit one either side of the feeder and they always stay and have a good feed taking their time and enjoying the niger seed. :thumb:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
10 feet outside the kitchen window is our bird table and we get just about everything including a daily visit by a greater spotted woodpecker. However we now have a sparrow hawk watching over it and yesterday he just charged in and plucked up a chaffinch amongst much flapping and off he went again!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
The blackbird that arrives very morning and paces up and down by the patio doors to remind me to put the bread out.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
a chicken lovely on a sunday with veg :Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
The blackbird that arrives very morning and paces up and down by the patio doors to remind me to put the bread out.

Don't know if you are aware, but Blackbirds love Apples. preferably whole or halved but not sliced.:thumb:

They do have to share them with the Starlings though as they are Apple Junkies too.:Smile:

Pete:Cool:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We are so lucky as we live adjacent to farmland so have many birds visiting and some are real characters. At first light we have a male pheasant who sits on the wall outside the kitchen window shouting to be fed. I love to see the long tailed tis chattering to each other and the goldfinches squabbling over the niger seed. We have a large number of blackbirds that visit especially at this time of the year, their favourite treat is blueberries. We also have the occasional visit from the sparrowhawk. The funniest bird we have is the greater spotted woodpecker who when feeding young has the youngster waiting at the top of the telegraph pole to be fed, slides down to the peanut feeder and then back up to the top with a peanut-- not very bright-- would be easier to keep the youngster nearer the feeder!!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Don't have my own garden but I always like to see (and hear!) Green Woodpeckers on sites. :Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I like to watch the little Dunnock, pecking around the borders of the garden such a neat little bird, also last year I had a regular bunch of Black Caps I used to look out for, but have not seen them for a while.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
That bloody Robin who sings all night. Don't they ever sleep?

Mind you puts Nightingales to shame.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My current favourite bird: yesterday afternoon we had a male Brambling at one of the garden feeders. I guess he's a bit late in leaving for Scandinavia due to the cold weather.
First time I have seen one in over 50 years of birdwatching.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back