rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
It'll soon be the Extravaganza once again, it's a cracking weekend not to be missed. The show fields will be full of nostalgic memories.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
4th - 6th of May this year.

Keep an eye out in the town for Graham Atkinsons Showmans Engines and Stage Show with The Gaviolli Organ.
Come up to the engines and look for the bearded one.
That will be me. :thumb:
Make sure you introduce yourself please.
That goes for any other Funsters who are going. ::bigsmile:
I will probably look as though I have just arrived from Africa, but it will be coal dust and steam oil.

Looking forward to seeing some of you there and having photos taken on the engine.:beer:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
4th - 6th of May this year.

Keep an eye out in the town for Graham Atkinsons Showmans Engines and Stage Show with The Gaviolli Organ.
Come up to the engines and look for the bearded one.
That will be me. :thumb:
Make sure you introduce yourself please.
That goes for any other Funsters who are going. ::bigsmile:
I will probably look as though I have just arrived from Africa, but it will be coal dust and steam oil.

Looking forward to seeing some of you there and having photos taken on the engine.:beer:

Looked at your profile
Sunters or brambles ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Looked at your profile
Sunters or brambles ?

1/ A.J. Stevens
2/ Royal Engineers
3/ Magnaload (Mammoet, but weren't allowed to trade in the UK under that name)
4/ Rigging International (Shetlands and Saudi Arabia)
5/ Stoof (Dutch)
6/ Mammoet Econofreight (Mammoet eventually split back off, Wynns/Sunters were taken over by Econofreight.)
7/ Econofreight (Brambles)
8/ Abnormal Load Engineering (A.L.E.)

I have driven general haulage, fridges, curtains, flats, Hiabs, ADR as well, just cos I like a change now and again.

Hope that helps you build a picture. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
ALE were a client of mine in one of my pre-retirement existences. WHAT an interesting client ! Loved em to bits. Their "trucks" reminded me of wheeled centipedes - what was the record, how many axles? can't recall now!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
ALE were a client of mine in one of my pre-retirement existences. WHAT an interesting client ! Loved em to bits. Their "trucks" reminded me of wheeled centipedes - what was the record, how many axles? can't recall now!

We seem to have hi-jacked this thread. Sorry rolandrat :Blush:

There are loads of records, most axles, longest, heaviest, widest, on site, on road so I am never sure which applies these days.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We used to own a static in Gronant and went to the Llandudno extravaganza with our kids when they were little (20+ years ago) - loved it.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
1/ A.J. Stevens
2/ Royal Engineers
3/ Magnaload (Mammoet, but weren't allowed to trade in the UK under that name)
4/ Rigging International (Shetlands and Saudi Arabia)
5/ Stoof (Dutch)
6/ Mammoet Econofreight (Mammoet eventually split back off, Wynns/Sunters were taken over by Econofreight.)
7/ Econofreight (Brambles)
8/ Abnormal Load Engineering (A.L.E.)

I have driven general haulage, fridges, curtains, flats, Hiabs, ADR as well, just cos I like a change now and again.

Hope that helps you build a picture. :thumb:

I am working with mr Sunter now and I see Roy Brandley often
I didn't do too much with the heavy haulage but always worked with heavy cranes
small world

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
You probably won't get any overnight parking in and around Llandudno as the town is so busy over that particular weekend. You may be able to get onto Colwyn Bay prom for a night or two and I've seen a few park up on the Conwy Morfa near to the golf club overlooking the river.

There is also the Llandudno Transport Festival on at the same weekend and there is an information page which mentions campsites here: http://www.llantransfest.co.uk/information.html#club

Photos of the type of thing to expect are on the Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/victorian.extravaganza

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Is overnight parking available for MH's ??? If so, where ???:Cool::Cool::Cool:

I am going to have a look if CCC or MCC or CC have a rally at Rhos on sea, as I think that is the nearest place you will get in, if any one knows if there is one could you please post details, thanks :Smile:

OP
OP
rolandrat

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We seem to have hi-jacked this thread. Sorry rolandrat :Blush:

There are loads of records, most axles, longest, heaviest, widest, on site, on road so I am never sure which applies these days.
I don't mind one bit, it's always interesting reading about old times. No doubt there are still plenty of old truckers around who remember "The Jungle Cafe" on the old A6 at the foot of Shap, many a night was spent there waiting for the snow ploughs to get it open for us.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I've tried to explain to a few of the "new" breed of drivers that sleeper cabs are a relatively new novelty. They can't believe that we used to have to stop at a phone box and put a tanner in to book our bed for the night. Once the bed was booked, that was as far as you were going, regardless.
You got your next instructions sent to the place you were dropping off at, and that was the last contact you had with your boss until the next drop off. Barring emergencies, of course, and even then, it was usually up to you to sort it out. Blow out !!!! No tyre fitter call outs in them days. Get the jack and wheel-brace out and change the wheel for the spare that you carried, and hope that you didn't get another one. Usually one or two drivers would stop to help you. Wouldn't happen today, of course. They would just drive past cos they are on too tight a schedule and the tracker will tell the transport manager that you had stopped for no reason, and the phone would start to ring etc etc etc.
Glad I am not doing it now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rolandrat

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The Camping and Caravanning Club have a rally going on at Dinarth Hall, it's being run by the South Lancs Group, phone number quoted is :- 07752 788175. They might have some spare pitches. We have been lucky to have got the last pitch with the Auto-Trail club. The area will be packed solid, last time we managed to get on at the Sun Centre at Ryll but had to travel to Llandudno on the bus, the coast road was gridlocked so if anyone is considering going you will need to be out and about as early as possible.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I guess I am lucky as I am with an exhibitor (Showman). Have a look here www.scarboroughfaircollection.com and it will give you an idea of what he does for a hobby.
We used to be next to the railway station, but that is undergoing some work, so apparently we are on the rugby field. This is to be confirmed, so we could be anywhere really. But wherever it is, it will be in the town.
No hook-up, no toilets, no showers, just a toilet dumping area. But we will be in the town. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
rolandrat

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I've tried to explain to a few of the "new" breed of drivers that sleeper cabs are a relatively new novelty. They can't believe that we used to have to stop at a phone box and put a tanner in to book our bed for the night. Once the bed was booked, that was as far as you were going, regardless.
You got your next instructions sent to the place you were dropping off at, and that was the last contact you had with your boss until the next drop off. Barring emergencies, of course, and even then, it was usually up to you to sort it out. Blow out !!!! No tyre fitter call outs in them days. Get the jack and wheel-brace out and change the wheel for the spare that you carried, and hope that you didn't get another one. Usually one or two drivers would stop to help you. Wouldn't happen today, of course. They would just drive past cos they are on too tight a schedule and the tracker will tell the transport manager that you had stopped for no reason, and the phone would start to ring etc etc etc.
Glad I am not doing it now.
We always tried to book our digs the previous day, 10 shillings and 6 pennies and a bucket on the landing if you were lucky, or there was always the Salvation Army 40 bed dormatories with buckets down the centre isle. There used to be 2 ft between each bed and heavy duty lino to stand on. I saw the first sleeper cabs at the Kelvin Hall Commercial Vehicle show. Harold Woods was showing a new "A" series ERF and next to it was a new Volvo F86 bubble cab. How times have changed, we've gone from Billies weekly lier to Didgy cards.

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
you've got me remembering now an old mandator with 2 bits of wood and a lilo and sleeping bag keep the gas stove on all night in winter or freeze,then a merc bullnose what comfort syncro box,bench seat,no power steering though oh happy days

OP
OP
rolandrat

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
a lump of plywood jammed between the doors over the engine, what a life. Sheeting and roping 14 ft high loads in a gale, hands red raw with rope burns. Newspaper rolled up and dipped in diesel then stuffed down the venturer pipe to start the old Gardner 150. Heater, a couple of hesian sacks wrapped round your legs. Blimey still alive.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
God this lot brings back memory's
I started as aprentise fitter in 1968 with peter slaters at Leeds
Working on leyland octopuses 8 leg comets 4 leg can't remember 6 leg (hippo?)
Aec mercury mandators mammoth majors
Albion Clydesdale
Atkinsons
Scamale
And my favourite fodens
we used to have old 8 leger that had been choped down to 3 axels like a Chinese 6 used as a wrecker
two stroke diesel with a episiclipes 4 speed box and 3 ranges all manual I could drive that at 18 no hgv wasn't needed then for a wrecker

Then on to a1 transport where I finished my time working on all the old stuff there
I was there when they bought the first Volvos 86 and 88 sleeper with a 240 engine kings of the road or what

Happy days

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back