Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
sat navs-Hi my tired old sat nav has started to let me down ,after about 20mins on the road its allways trying to send me back home ,so i,v decided to replace it at the next show at Peterborough.Been looking at the cc sat nav S6450 at £400 not cheep Question is are there better or as good around for less money and with features that are more relevent to motorhomes.any advice would be great .being a yorkshire man i do struggle to open my wallet.LOL:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Chrisboyo showed me his new tool in Chester. A 7" touch screen device from China/ebay for £50.

Not only that it's really just a WindowsCE tablet with navigation software.

As he said, why do people pay hundreds to get lost ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Several members have commented on a sat nav from navibuzz on ebay
truck type 7inch screen £75, you are able to put in map refs and the measurements of your vehicle (so as to avoid narrow roads / low bridges etc) they have given some good reports. look under the search section (top of home page under yellow motorhome) for satnavs. I am considering buying one.
Terry:sin:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I bought the latest Snooper Ventura for motorhomes loaded with campsites etc but still prefer my Garmin Nuvi 865, much easier to input co ordinates and far more accurate speed limits etc.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi do you find the volume not enough hear it in the van on the snooper. like you we had garmin first and very happy with it. cheers ivory55

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Firstly, can I have your old one for me Dad. He shouldn't really be out for more than 20 mins at a time on his own :ROFLMAO:

In the van, we use the iPad. In the 10 months we've had the van we've found it gets you there no bother, great big screen we both can see, and it talks too.

I'm sure there are far more advanced systems out there but this has served us well, and for nowt cos we already had iPad :Smile:

Good luck

Andy

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I use my android phone and Google navigation ..
It works fine . I have used it in europe and the usa with no problems..
One nice touch us you can plan a route with all the waypoints etc on your pc or laptop at your leisure.. save it and then open my maps on your phone to access all of your saved info.. effortless..
Streetview is nice too :thumb:

OP
OP
treetops1

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
sat nav

Hi friends ,i must admit i,m getting some great advice although with some of the info ,it looks like i may have to upgrade my phone as well .The one i have used for the last 5 years only cost me a tenner lol .but thank you all for giving me plenty to think about, still got a couple of weeks before Peterborough ,but i may yet end up on ebay judging by some of your comments cheers. Harry:thumb:

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
This is the one i got just over year ago
Link Removed
hope that's of help

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Broken Link Removed

thats where my 1 came from and its great

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
sat nav

:thumb: ukbill have you forgot to send me sat nav info from china my one has broken you have my info on my buiss card i gave you hope you can remember me :thumb:

THANKS

Dave & Polly

dadsmad

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
newtownards
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we bought the snooper last year with new mh and i have not been happy with it. even after putting in the size etc of mh it still took us off the main rd to small roads we got through with a squeeze, also it would go off and on rebooting from the start from our home in ulster. it is also very noisy.
anyway have just sent it off to snooperuk to get it looked at
£600 of money seems to be wasted at this stage should have kept the garmin

tally ho

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
:thumb: ukbill have you forgot to send me sat nav info from china my one has broken you have my info on my buiss card i gave you hope you can remember me :thumb:

THANKS

Dave & Polly

sorry to you both but i did send the info i think still here is the web addy again

Link Removed

this is the store on ebay please check all the sat nav's as there are lots more they have now than when i got mine :Smile:
Link Removed
http://www.archiescampings.eu/

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I use my android phone and Google navigation ..
It works fine . I have used it in europe and the usa with no problems..
One nice touch us you can plan a route with all the waypoints etc on your pc or laptop at your leisure.. save it and then open my maps on your phone to access all of your saved info.. effortless..
Streetview is nice too :thumb:
This seems to be the way to go now---also use a lead from your phone to your input on your MH stereo and the voice overides any music you may be plying from your phone.
Calls also work through the speakers too, seems these smart phones are smart after all :thumb:

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
sat nav

:thumb: Hi Bill
Thanks for the info about sat nav which one did you get or recommend as I am not up with the technology of these things :thumb:

Polly

Jaspwieser

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I bought a expensive Tom Tom, the signal strength was just awfull. Found that the monitor for the reversing camera interferes with the sat Nav signal somehow

My iPhone mapping is great in built up areas with a signal, not so good in the middle of nowhere

Sometimes you get what you pay for
Sometimes you don't

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We use maps ... and don't get lost :Smile:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Try your phone , you may be surprised how good they are

Be careful of three problems with phones.

1. Some software packages need a continuous connection with the internet - this can be very expensaive, especially abroad.

2. Incoming calls will interfer with the program and often occur at very inconvenient moments whne you are nedding guidance.

3. Screen is very small.

However I use mine Android phone for this purpose quite often.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Maps get out of date and can be wrong plus they don't help you with road speed limits, pois etc.

I use both maps and gps but do not rely 100% on either of them.

I like to get as much hekp as possible.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I posted a few months ago because I bought the CC TomTom and was a little disappointed however now that Ive driven through france with it I love it. Maybe a little pricy

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
This seems to be the way to go now---also use a lead from your phone to your input on your MH stereo and the voice overides any music you may be plying from your phone.
Calls also work through the speakers too, seems these smart phones are smart after all :thumb:

We don't all have inputs to our stereos.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

When it's very dark and pouring with rain and you are in an area with loads of road works and diversions maps are totally useless whereas a sat nav can be of great help.

It seems to me to be rather stupid to decry modern inventions which are a great help when used in conjunction with A PAPER MAP.

Paper maps and sat nav maps can easily get out of date so must always be used with caution. paper maps can easily get damaged even with careful use so another downside.

To blindly follow a route planned by a sat nav is also crass stupidity.

I use paper maps, a sat nav and common sense.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Chrisboyo showed me his new tool in Chester. A 7" touch screen device from China/ebay for £50.

Not only that it's really just a WindowsCE tablet with navigation software.

As he said, why do people pay hundreds to get lost ?
same as i have brian and its a great piece of equipment went from home to portugal via spain with no trouble at all dont pay loads of cash get this sat nav job done also if u have a problem they have a rapid response to any questions
this is the store on ebay check it out it now has much more than the 1 i got so look through the list

Broken Link Removed

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I agree with the comments above and you can get updates as well, very quick to respond to questions and they treat customers like they should :thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
When it's very dark and pouring with rain and you are in an area with loads of road works and diversions maps are totally useless whereas a sat nav can be of great help.

[HI]
It seems to me to be rather stupid to decry modern inventions which are a great help when used in conjunction with A PAPER MAP.

[/HI]Paper maps and sat nav maps can easily get out of date so must always be used with caution. paper maps can easily get damaged even with careful use so another downside.

To blindly follow a route planned by a sat nav is also crass stupidity.

[HI]I use paper maps, a sat nav and common sense[/HI].

I use maps to plan a route then let the Sat-nav do the rest. There are times I refuse to accept what it wants to give me so mute it

My wife has a wonderful method, she sits back and miraculously arrives without stress wherever she is going.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
As many have just said,there really is no reason to spend a fortune on a sat nav these days.
We've recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 50 with full European maps & free lifetime update for just under £120. You can also download your custom POI's .
We also like to have a map as well:thumb:

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
II use the force and get lost all the time! but you do find some interesting places (Brigadoon) down roads you may well have not gone down::bigsmile:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
On another thread I saw recently someone recommended an app called NavFree, that enables your smartphone to act as a free sat nav and avoid the data charges that some accrue from using Google maps inbuilt navigation.

I thought I'd give it a go, and it seemed to work fine.... you can even programme it to recognise that you're a larger vehicle and not a car! Yesterday however when getting from Sunderland (the road out was the best bit!) to Old Hartley CC site up from Whitley Bay, it went loopy on me. It seemed to think we were in continental Europe, as at roundabouts it was telling me to drive round them to the right!! No... I didn't do it... and it wasn't a problem with small junctions where you could clearly see where the intended route was, but on the larger interchanges it got very confusing and eventually I had to give up and revert to Google maps navigation.

I'll try it again today, see how it goes, but it's shaken my confidence in it a bit. Shame, but I suppose you get what you pay for! :cry:

Simon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back