Disabled access to standard van (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I've put this into chat to try and get ideas from those that might not read the Motorhomes for the Disabled section.

I have a 2004 coachbuilt with a 20" wide hab door and standard Ducato cab.

My wife is becoming increasingly disabled, can only stand and walk a few steps with help.

She is slim and less than 70kgs.

I am looking at possible options, winch or lift to help her get into the van, through either the hab door or cab door

Would be grateful of any ideas:thumb:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Burstner,

I'm sure you've considered the Powerstep Lift. I've been looking for ages for a secondhand one, with no luck. I'm reluctant to shell out the extortionate price for a new one, but I will probably have to relent soon. If I come across any new solutions I'll let you know and post on the 'MH for Disabled' section.

Good luck in your search. If you find anything please share the info'

Mike

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think the most discreet would probably a baby version on a tail-lift that you see on backs of vans. Your step is only wooden anyway, so a couple of openings could be made for a worm drive, would only need to be short. Then a small platform to go to the ground, so she could stand on and then get lifted to floor height. - the platform can then fold up against the door, like they do an the back of vans - which also acts as security too!

Set halfway, you would have the sturdiest on motor home steps!

May need a little manufacturing for the platform, but they are only driven by wiper motors anyway and the runner/lift mechanism could be shorten from a van one?

May look less intrusive than a lift.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Burstner,

I'm sure you've considered the Powerstep Lift. I've been looking for ages for a secondhand one, with no luck. I'm reluctant to shell out the extortionate price for a new one, but I will probably have to relent soon. If I come across any new solutions I'll let you know and post on the 'MH for Disabled' section.

Good luck in your search. If you find anything please share the info'

Mike

They look ideal - but I guess as you say, they come at a price! I wonder if their are grants or similar available to help?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The Community Transport Association (CTA) is the national body for accessible transport groups,if you contact them they should be able to help and maybe put you in touch with a local operator or converter. http://www.ctauk.org/

Unwins make the powerstep http://www.unwin-safety.com/

I did see one that was built on a trolley jack base with tracking to take a wheelchair,maybe a bit of 'Scrapheap Challenge' type bodging may work out.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Unwin Quiklift

The model describe in my previous posting,similar to a trolley jack is called a Quiklift,but it is now discontinued. You may be able to source a s/h one or find pictures to copy it.

These were carried by welfare transport operators as an emergency if the installed lift failed. Maybe the local Social Services or Ambulance service has one lurking somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back