Autotrail premium prices for accessories (1 Viewer)

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Well we have lived in the Comanche now for 8 weeks & have settled in nicely but thought we could do with some more shelves in the kitchen & lounge lockers. So I enquired to Autotrail via email about some shelf edging as I would make the shelves myself out of some 9mm ply & thought that they would look finished off with the correct edging. They duly offered that the correct edging was available at a price of £4.50 + vat + carriage for a 2.44mtr length which I thought was quite reasonable but then they offered to make the shelves. So I gave the measurements of 1@ 766mm x 275 + 2@ 400mm x 275. They replied that the veneered shelves with edging including VAT would be £108!!!!!!!!:roflmto::roflmto:
So as I would only need approximately 1600mm of edging, say £3 worth, the shelves were going to be over £100. I purchased a sheet of 3 ply and a tin of stain/satin varnish @ £20 for both and I must say they look pretty good!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
really makes you wonder where they get the prices from. :Eeek:

another member was asking about Bullfinch gas outlets and autotrail wanted £17 for the same item sold by Peter (johns cross) and on eBay for less than £8

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Not defending them in any way but....................DIY =

No Health and Safety, No risk assessment, no plans, no workshop, no 4 weeks holiday with pay, no sick pay, no insurance, no rent, no rates, no upper management, no despatch warehouse staff and theres plenty more if your running a business that has to be paid for.

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

No Health and Safety, No risk assessment, no plans, no workshop, no 4 weeks holiday with pay, no sick pay, no insurance, no rent, no rates, no upper management, no despatch warehouse staff and theres plenty more if your running a business that has to be paid for.

Peter
BUT...they are doing exactly the same as you Peter....reselling a 'bought in' product for DIY use, not making or fitting it in this case.
if your point was valid you must be running at a massive loss and awaiting the auditors and bankruptcy administrators

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bullfinch's own RRP for the gas pigtail connector is just £9....£8 cheaper than Autotrails extortionate price

6087D Plug in tail connector for Gas outlet point £9.00

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Peter

Also because of most of "The Country gone crazy "things you have listed is the reason most need to "DIY" because everything is to bloody expensive by the time its come down the chain and everyone has had a cut. Not defending DIY ers in any way though.:Smile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

another member was asking about Bullfinch gas outlets and autotrail wanted £17 for the same item sold by Peter (johns cross) and on eBay for less than £8

I've just bought one from Teesside Caravans for less than 8 quid as well :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As I mentioned on the earlier Bullfinch gas point post, the Autotrail prices seem expensive, but in this case, bear in mind that they would probably have made the shelves from Vohringer light-weight ply. This is used by many motorhome manufacturers as it is both light and strong and helps maximise the final payload. Unfortunately Vohringer ply is very expensive - £129 per sheet was the only price I could find in the UK.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
As I mentioned on the earlier Bullfinch gas point post, the Autotrail prices seem expensive, but in this case, bear in mind that they would probably have made the shelves from Vohringer light-weight ply. This is used by many motorhome manufacturers as it is both light and strong and helps maximise the final payload. Unfortunately Vohringer ply is very expensive - £129 per sheet was the only price I could find in the UK.

There wouldn't actually be alot of difference in weight in one sheet Vohringer Laminate as opposed to 1 sheet of marine, maybe just over a kilo?Not certain but i do remember a friend of mine arguing the toss on a project he took on.I think its more the lamination process your paying for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
The thing that gets me is that all the overheads of running a business have already been taken into account & is built into the retail price of a new van. Items like the 'bullfinch gas & water fittings, shelves & other items associated to an autotrail should be offered at a reasonable price not an obscene price. A sheet of veneered 3 ply does not cost a fortune, & the employee who cuts it is already being employed to cut shelves of different sizes. So to cut 3 shelves is not going to take more than say 10 mins? & I forgot to mention in my initial post that they said it was a special order & to allow 3 weeks before delivery. I would of thought in these tough times companies would be stretching their arms out to offer a decent customer service especially to owners of their own motorhomes!

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
The thing that gets me is that all the overheads of running a business have already been taken into account & is built into the retail price of a new van. Items like the 'bullfinch gas & water fittings, shelves & other items associated to an autotrail should be offered at a reasonable price not an obscene price. A sheet of veneered 3 ply does not cost a fortune, & the employee who cuts it is already being employed to cut shelves of different sizes. So to cut 3 shelves is not going to take more than say 10 mins? & I forgot to mention in my initial post that they said it was a special order & to allow 3 weeks before delivery. I would of thought in these tough times companies would be stretching their arms out to offer a decent customer service especially to owners of their own motorhomes!

Since i bought our motorhome in September i have uncovered alot of unsavoury things in the motorhoming world not to mention bad quality on builds and yes your right they should maybe have put themselves out to sort your shelves out at a reasonable cost.After all you spent a hell of alot of money on THEIR product.I actually admire the self builders and wish i had the time to build my own van.Damn site cheaper and no doubt better quality of work.Lets face it ,all the items fitted in to these coach built vehicles are already assembled and i would have thought a few shelves were a stock item.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back