Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
I am looking to get travel insurance for our trip to France and Germany this summer. Can anyone recommend a good company please?

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Do you have any particular medical conditions? If so they may be excluded from cover. I would look first at the aggregator sites such as .. That way you can evaluate various companies against price and features and benefits. Most important is to know what your needs are and try to match cover to them. I would avoid internet based companies that do not have call centres. Although call centres are not everyones cup of tea, they can be better than just email if you need to contact them in an emergency. As with most things in life you get what you pay for so I would look carefully at 'cheap' policies as you may find they give you very little. I think you need to think about what happens to the motorhome if you take ill and can't drive it back. So repatriation of you, passengers and vehicle should be considered too.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
get a ehic card and not bother.thats what most do. just make sure you arent took to a private hospital.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
So glad you mentioned this Alan. It prompted me to check mine and I found it had expired 20/06/2011. It has now been renewed!

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,we have a good deal withAviva,if that helps but your card will cover you,and the care over there is better than here,hope it helps H::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Do you have any particular medical conditions? If so they may be excluded from cover. I would look first at the aggregator sites such as .. That way you can evaluate various companies against price and features and benefits. Most important is to know what your needs are and try to match cover to them. I would avoid internet based companies that do not have call centres. Although call centres are not everyones cup of tea, they can be better than just email if you need to contact them in an emergency. As with most things in life you get what you pay for so I would look carefully at 'cheap' policies as you may find they give you very little. I think you need to think about what happens to the motorhome if you take ill and can't drive it back. So repatriation of you, passengers and vehicle should be considered too.

Thanks very much but there is a bewildering number of offers. We don't have any underlying med conditions and am mindful that the EHIC is useful up to a point. Thus feel extra travel ins is a wise move.

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,we have a good deal withAviva,if that helps but your card will cover you,and the care over there is better than here,hope it helps H::bigsmile:

Thank you but EHIC is good up to a point but feel travel ins is a peace of mind and will look at Aviva.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
If you have a currant account with Nationwide and as long as you pay in £750 a month they give free travel insurance. This is great for us as it also covers riding a motorcycle which a lot of insurers do not.

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
If you have a currant account with Nationwide and as long as you pay in £750 a month they give free travel insurance. This is great for us as it also covers riding a motorcycle which a lot of insurers do not.

Thanks gasman but don't have a Nationwide acc. Probably useful info for others that do.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we both have policys with www.staysure.co.uk with existing conditions , about £35, used to have the cover with the bank but they are phaseing it out now , i think

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
we both have policys with www.staysure.co.uk with existing conditions , about £35, used to have the cover with the bank but they are phaseing it out now , i think

Thanks Chaser will look at this. Just looked at Aviva and quoted £112 seems steep for Europe without underlying med conditions.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We are just back from 3 months in Oz and NZ and had our insurance with Staysure. Price was good and they covered people living outside UK . Had another company before sorry can't remember who but they stopped covering folks who didn't live in UK.

No matter where you travel outside your home country I think you need insurance . Even in Europe as your card onlycovers treatment . If it is a serious illness then it does not cover repatriation and that is the expensive bit.

I did quite a bit if research when we had to change and to be honest the expensive companies got as bad reviews as the cheap ones !!!

Last edited:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
You are having difficulty deciding on cover. Is it because you have not yet decided on what you want it for? You mentioned you wanted extra travel insurance but what exactly do you want covering? Once you have made your mind up then you can look for the best fit. Although I have not used them LV are getting a reputation for excellent customer service.

http://www.lv.com/travel-insurance?... Insurance - Exact/l v travel insurance/exact

Might be worth looking them over?

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
You are having difficulty deciding on cover. Is it because you have not yet decided on what you want it for? You mentioned you wanted extra travel insurance but what exactly do you want covering? Once you have made your mind up then you can look for the best fit. Although I have not used them LV are getting a reputation for excellent customer service.

http://www.lv.com/travel-insurance?... Insurance - Exact/l v travel insurance/exact

Might be worth looking them over?

Thanks - we want it for repatriation, personal liability and anything that the EHIC doesn't cover.

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
We are just back from 3 months in Oz and NZ and had our insurance with Staysure. Price was good and they covered people living outside UK . Had another company before sorry can't remember who but they stopped covering folks who didn't live in UK.

No matter where you travel outside your home country I think you need insurance . Even in Europe as your card onlycovers treatment . If it is a serious illness then it does not cover repatriation and that is the expensive bit.

I did quite a bit if research when we had to change and to be honest the expensive companies got as bad reviews as the cheap ones !!!

Thanks I have looked at them and they are reasonably well priced and have good customer reviews so they seem a good bet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back