Google Nexus 4 to tether to laptop? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Right then, I can't really believe I'm considering this (as an Apple user) but I really like the new Nexus 4 mobile phone :whatthe::whatthe:

I am wondering about getting one to use 'on the road' as my major 'I.T' device

The plan would be to use the phone for:

Phone calls (haha)

Sat Nav in the van (GoogleMaps...........free:Smile:)

Tethered to my MacbookAir (for 'bigger' internet)

The phone costs £239 from Google and is Sim free. I would then get a 'Three' sim card on rolling 30 day contract to include per month:

Unlimited internet
200 mins of calls
5000 texts

All for £17.90 per month :thumb:

The phone gets fantastic reviews (Apple beater?), is half the price of most smart phones, is unlocked, and has a big screen for old duffers (me).

Looks like a cunning plan :winky: Any one else done this or care to comment please?

:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I may well be wrong but it was my understanding that in order to tether mobile to other device you had to have the One Plan.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I may well be wrong but it was my understanding that in order to tether mobile to other device you had to have the One Plan.

The 'Ultimate Sim 200' plan is £12.90 per month, then tethering can be added for an extra £5 per month.

The 'One Plan' (£25) looks good but I would never get through 2000 minutes so this way I would save £7.10 per month :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
No problem, have got it working with my Nexus 4. It can act as a WiFi hotspot ...

Will also connect over Bluetooth and USB cable ........... it's all in the manual.

I use mine on a Three £10 subscription, don't pay any phone call costs as I use Skype, Link Removed and VOIP but that is another story ...

Cheers

PS Remember it is a microsim, I use a trimmer from EBay when abroad and buying local SIMs ....

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've tethered my Motorola Android on Giffgaff PAYG, maybe not as fast as my MiFi dongle on Voda.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
No problem, have got it working with my Nexus 4. It can act as a WiFi hotspot ...

On a PC or a Mac ?

Oh, and how do you rate the phone?

Cheers :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I've tethered my Motorola Android on Giffgaff PAYG, maybe not as fast as my MiFi dongle on Voda.

Hi Brian, I did read that using the Bluetooth can be faster than WiFi........... worth a try? :thumb:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
On a PC or a Mac ?
Oh, and how do you rate the phone?

Quality is excellent, but like all modern smart phones not a good battery life. Unlike an Apple though you can switch it to 2G only mode (GPRS and EDGE) which makes it last longer. ::bigsmile:

I have used it as a Hotspot to MACs, IPads, Nexus 7 and Windows laptops ....

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back