euro cashcards (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know a few of you on here use Caxton euro card , I was thinking of getting one but haveing a look around the net I have seen Broken Link Removed which although offer a slightly less conversion ( 1.144 as compared to caxtons 1.15 today) but give one % cashback on all purchases and all free withdrawels even here which would appear a slightly better deal, anyone know different??? anyone got one???
thanks

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
dont know about the other card but have a Caxton and works well for us.

you made same mistake as me ... todays card loading rate is E1.154 not E1.5 which may well be the daily bank rate.
i fell foul of that a while back.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
yeah they have both gone up since i looked (my cash 1.15 caxton 1.154

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Have a look on Martins Money - all foreign cash and card options are compared. :thumb:

We have a FairFX and a Halifax Clarity Credit Card which suits us. :thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
FairFX 1.16 at the moment, have to look into it, thanks

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
1euro 60 to draw money at atm:Sad:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have a caxton and found it a good card to use rate was good and nearly everywhere took the card

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
That's a good idea. I have signed up with FairFx and put £550 on it. Waiting for card. We will be spending 6 weeks in France in June and will want about £2k on card plus some cash.
Will certainly split it.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't have any regular cards that allow me to withdraw cash abroad without paying a charge. So the Caxton card is useful to me. I also have approx €350 on Fairfx which I consider "get me home money" if Caxton goes bust.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Will someone please explain the advantage In using one of these card
I have debit and credit cards from Santander on 321 account

I don't quite get the advantage of another card forgive my ignorance

Me to. I assume there is no withdrawal fee applied but if this saves more than you get with the % on transactions I am not sure.For example if you take out say 200 euro you might get charged a few euros for the transaction but in the end get that back in %? Anyone know the maths involved?:thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
there is no cost anywhere and your rate is what you filled the card at, you get back all you put in, with credit and debit cards you are charged to use them as well as being charged a conversion charge, maybe £5 or more every time you use them in europe

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
yes i took out 200 euro on my nw card which was by mistake instead of my caxton rate was 1cent mpore than caxton but it cost me £5 in charges

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
yes i took out 200 euro on my nw card which was by mistake instead of my caxton rate was 1cent mpore than caxton but it cost me £5 in charges

if you get the card nicked they only stand to get whats on the card but dont have your bank details, which must be one of the bigest plus's
No one though has mentioned "Mytravelcashcard" though, which was my OP because it seems to have everything the others have but 1% cashback on all purchases
Broken Link Removed

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
As I use my Caxton purely for ATM cash withdrawl I wouldn't get the 1% cashback if I used Mytravelcash instead. But Caxton appear to be offeing a better exchange rate. Quick calculations (in my head) indicate a small gain over Caxton if you use the mytravelcard to purchase many items.:thumb:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi can you use the caxton cards for fuel at the unmaned stations, we have not mastered them yet always end up at super u or such like . cheers ivory55

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Now I am beginning to see the advantage
Theft fraud
and it's separated from your main account with only limited cash on it
Any more please as I am considering one

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
caxton is at 1cent more than mytravelcash
and i also use it for cash so any cash back dont apply to me
but thanks anyway for the info

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
hi can you use the caxton cards for fuel at the unmaned stations, we have not mastered them yet always end up at super u or such like . cheers ivory55

yes you can the only prob with it i found was tolls

dug

May 28, 2011
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
ducato maxi tdi 24'
Exp
Metro bank

I don't know much about this, but when my son decided on his European jaunt to Norway via France etc,(see cycling and skydiving Uk to Norway )he opened a Metro a/c and loaded it with £ 750,totally separate to his normal bank,it seems there is no charge for transactions abroad and a warning comes up on the link machine if there is,conversion rate is whatever is current at the time of use.The main drawback was he had to go to Reading, which is the nearest bank to us to open it.If he needs cash I can transfer it from uk and if he has a problem he still has his Barclay debit card for emergencies.
https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/Personal/Bank-Accounts/Current-Account/
Hope this is of interest.....Have fun ,dug.....

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
WE currently use a nationwide credit card when abroad,which doesn't charge for transactions and the gives the official exchange rate,but the Caxton card sounds interesting,apart from the fraud factor is there any advantage to the caxtons?

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I have a prepaid Euro Mastercard. Does anyone know what would happen if the issuer goes bust. Do you lose your money or is it covered by Mastercard.:Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
WE currently use a nationwide credit card when abroad,which doesn't charge for transactions and the gives the official exchange rate,but the Caxton card sounds interesting,apart from the fraud factor is there any advantage to the caxtons?

In a nutshell:

Credit Card - Nationwide is best as you don't get charged any fees (ie no commission or transaction charge) for purchases and the exchange rate is very good.

Debit Card - Caxton FX, or Halifax Clarity Card apparently, are best as you don't get charged any fees for withdrawing money out at ATMs in Europe (or USA if you have the other one of their cards) and can load them with what you want subject to the minimum top-up limit. With the Caxton card you can simply send a text when abroad and more money can be 'loaded' onto your card, whereas with the Halifax card you have to actually ring home to do it I believe, however the minimum 'top up' amount is lower than Caxton.

As far as I know using any other credit or debit card abroad incurs fees (eg commission, transaction and/or interest).

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
In a nutshell:

Credit Card - Nationwide is best as you don't get charged any fees (ie no commission or transaction charge) for purchases and the exchange rate is very good.

Debit Card - Caxton FX, or Halifax Clarity Card apparently, are best as you don't get charged any fees for withdrawing money out at ATMs in Europe (or USA if you have the other one of their cards) and can load them with what you want subject to the minimum top-up limit. With the Caxton card you can simply send a text when abroad and more money can be 'loaded' onto your card, whereas with the Halifax card you have to actually ring home to do it I believe, however the minimum 'top up' amount is lower than Caxton.

As far as I know using any other credit or debit card abroad incurs fees (eg commission, transaction and/or interest).

Halifax Clarity is a Credit Card. (Mastercard)

I took out one to use when travelling.

No cash withdrawal fee.
No fee to use it anywhere worldwide.
No annual fee.

and the exchange rates I have received have been highly competitive.
The exchange rate is set by Mastercard at the time that you make the transaction. Halifax do not apply any loading, fees or charges to this rate.

:thumb::thumb:

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
We are going to use The Post Office Euro Travel Money Plus Card its a debit card (MasterCard with Clydesdale Bank) which you can load online and receive a favourable exchange rate.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Halifax Clarity is a Credit Card. (Mastercard)

I took out one to use when travelling.

No cash withdrawal fee.
No fee to use it anywhere worldwide.
No annual fee.

and the exchange rates I have received have been highly competitive.
The exchange rate is set by Mastercard at the time that you make the transaction. Halifax do not apply any loading, fees or charges to this rate.

:thumb::thumb:

Oooooops ... I mixed it up with the ICE cash card .... :Blush:

Link Removed

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are going to use The Post Office Euro Travel Money Plus Card its a debit card (MasterCard with Clydesdale Bank) [HI]which you can load online and receive a favourable exchange rate[/HI].

Favourable, only if you "load" it at that ever so elusive magical right moment........:winky:

and they charge you to withdraw your own cash........:Doh:

:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back