Repositioning Truma Regulator (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Have just purchased a Gaslow Auto Change-over valve for my Alugas System (2 x 11 kg cylinders) The photo shows my regulator in its current position near the top of the gas locker. In this position it prevents me from fitting the auto changeover to the top of the regulator and I need to lower it by 3/4 inch.

I have the know how, spare compression olives and tooling to carry out this but my question to you my very knowledgeable colleagues "is there a regulation height in relation to the cylinders and would lowering it slightly have any adverse effects?" :Eeek:

I personally from an engineers logic cannot see one, anyone enlighten me otherwise? :Doh:

Attachments

• reg-height.jpg
    reg-height.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 68

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I had this dine on my last motorhome by the dealer here in Belgium.

There was no mention of it not being possible.

Never had a problem in the two years i had the MH.

Give Dave Newell a ring 01952 587702

Mel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To the best of my knowledge there is no regulation height for the regulator and it will work lower than the bottle take off point... however .. best practice is to have it higher, or at least the same height..

The reason ..

If lower it is possible for gas condensate to collect in the pig tail and find it's way into the regulator causing it to fail..

There were also reports/threads some while ago reporting that the gas condensate was attacking the rubber lining of the pig tail due to the regulator being mounted low.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To the best of my knowledge there is no regulation height for the regulator and it will work lower than the bottle take off point... however .. best practice is to have it higher, or at least the same height..

The reason ..

If lower it is possible for gas condensate to collect in the pig tail and find it's way into the regulator causing it to fail..

There were also reports/threads some while ago reporting that the gas condensate was attacking the rubber lining of the pig tail due to the regulator being mounted low.
Those were my fears when I installed the gas system in my self build... What I have had to do is have the gas pipe replaced with stainless steel one. And got one that is a bit too long so it loops down before going back up into the regulator.
Sorts out both issues.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The changeover will work just as well mounted horizontally so simply connect it to the elbow where your pigtail is presently connected.

D.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The changeover will work just as well mounted horizontally so simply connect it to the elbow where your pigtail is presently connected.

D.

Thanks for the input Dave, that was my initial plan but concerned that weights of valve and hoses will strain connector at regulator.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Shouldn't be a problem Stewart but I understand your concerns, you could always fix a supporting strap to the roof of the locker to carry the changeover unit.

D.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Shouldn't be a problem Stewart but I understand your concerns, you could always fix a supporting strap to the roof of the locker to carry the changeover unit.

D.

Thanks again Dave, will I give myself a problem lowering it 3/4 inch its so much the easiest option.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
A quick update, hoses ordered from Autogas Leisure Thursday arrived today (no post yesterday being Good Friday) so many thanks Autogas very professional and speedy service (thanks Chris):thumb:

Necessary to cut back copper regulator outlet pipe 20mm so auto-changeover valve could be fitted atop regulator this gave 1mm head clearance, easily modified and fitted, bubble tested on completion and no leaks all working fine.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Purchased the Gaslow auto-change over valve from our MH dealer knew they'd had them in stock for a while and asked if they would price match (ÂŁ43.99p on Ebay) and by jingo they agreed, a result::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: so saved a few squids being a tightwad Geordie:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Attachments

• auto-valve01.jpg
    auto-valve01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 29
  • autovalve02.jpg
    autovalve02.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 39
  • autovalve03.jpg
    autovalve03.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 33
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'm not sure I see the point of an autochangeover valve on a 2xrefillable system. You could just leave both valves open and it would have the same effect i.e. you could use all your gas without having to manually change over.

I prefer to have only one valve open as then I know when I've used half my gas, though I have a remote gauge on each bottle.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Tidy job Stewart, the only thing I'd say is its sometimes better to cross over the pigtails to give a gentler curve.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back