Rant!! - Why they need so much information! (1 Viewer)

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Sat in France and I wish to purchase some guides books and all I want to know is, if I buy one, can I download it directly as I won't get it for some weeks otherwise. I'm far too stupid to see if it's possible on the website. Soooo, I click on 'Contact Us'..........and there it is.........I have to complete my life's history and hand it over to them only to have a sales enquiry question answered! Ok, slight (massive??) exaggeration there but why oh why do I have to give my full name, address, company name, website, phone numbers etc etc in order to begin an enquiry that may lead to business for them? Ok, if I do buy something that has to be delivered I can then choose to hand over my address but why before??

This information grabbing at any opportunity drives me nuts!! But importantly for retailers loses my business every time. If I ever detect that a business has clearly oriented their service for the benefit of themselves rather than the pleasure of the customer........I leave.

I enjoy Pie's. I really enjoy eating pies. So in a restaurant if I see any kind of savoury pie on the menu I want it. But of course, I first have to ask the all important question. Is it really a 'Pie'? ....."yes of course sir, very popular it is"........Ok, is it a pie with pastry on the bottom and the top and baked in the oven as a complete pie.......orrrr.......is it a pie in an individual, white-hot bowl with a slice of puff pastry laid on top prior to serving????.........."yes thats correct sir, exactly that, a Pie......" You see, maybe it's just me, but thats not a 'Pie', thats a convenient way of serving up a stew or casserole which masquerades as a pie. There's a large pot of casserole or stew, whichever you want to call it, sitting chilled in the fridge from which a bowl is filled, a slice of frozen pastry popped on top and thrown into a nuclear charged oven. A pie is made as a pie, in a bowl, dish, tray, plate or otherwise. Ok, the filling is often made before hand but it all melds together in the oven to produce a proper pie. Am I going on too much here?? Damned convenient for the restaurant but it means I have to eat something else while I dream of a real pie. Is it just me??? Please, tell me it isn't.

.........and while I'm at it........is there a central european training centre that teaches staff at checkout's to firmly hold onto your credit card while they wait for the stream of paper to print out so they can then bundle it all together and hand it to you in a package which is then a handful to sort out, extract your card, put in your wallet, put the receipts somewhere else and then clear orf! I want my card now!!! so I can put it in my wallet then the wallet can be slipped in my pocket so my hands are free to take the destroyed rainforest of paper complete with luminous printed marketing, throw it in the shopping bag or packet and leave. I've reached a few times for my card in advance only to watch in disbelief as their hand pulls away, darting this way and that to ensure they complete their stupid task of frustrating the *+"!!! out of me!!!! What a completely pointless exercise?!?!?!!?

Anyway, said website will not get my business as if they can't simply put an email so I can ask them a simple question or a form that doesn't require me to "COMPLETE ALL BOXES WITH AN OFFICIOUS ASTERIX"! If I walk into a shop they don't ask me for my personal details before they answer a sales question do they!

Of course this does mean I don't get the guide book doesn't it. Really wanted that guide too. Principals! Huh!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Nice ammusing post:thumb: then i looked at your info, it said you were a professional Ruminator.:Eeek:
I thought to my self Ill look that up
Then I thought no! Ill stew on it a while and mull it over,
Ill let yopu know if I do:thumb:
Geo

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sat in France and I wish to purchase some guides books and all I want to know is, if I buy one, can I download it directly as I won't get it for some weeks otherwise. I'm far too stupid to see if it's possible on the website. Soooo, I click on 'Contact Us'..........and there it is.........I have to complete my life's history and hand it over to them only to have a sales enquiry question answered! Ok, slight (massive??) exaggeration there but why oh why do I have to give my full name, address, company name, website, phone numbers etc etc in order to begin an enquiry that may lead to business for them? Ok, if I do buy something that has to be delivered I can then choose to hand over my address but why before??

This information grabbing at any opportunity drives me nuts!! But importantly for retailers loses my business every time. If I ever detect that a business has clearly oriented their service for the benefit of themselves rather than the pleasure of the customer........I leave.

I enjoy Pie's. I really enjoy eating pies. So in a restaurant if I see any kind of savoury pie on the menu I want it. But of course, I first have to ask the all important question. Is it really a 'Pie'? ....."yes of course sir, very popular it is"........Ok, is it a pie with pastry on the bottom and the top and baked in the oven as a complete pie.......orrrr.......is it a pie in an individual, white-hot bowl with a slice of puff pastry laid on top prior to serving????.........."yes thats correct sir, exactly that, a Pie......" You see, maybe it's just me, but thats not a 'Pie', thats a convenient way of serving up a stew or casserole which masquerades as a pie. There's a large pot of casserole or stew, whichever you want to call it, sitting chilled in the fridge from which a bowl is filled, a slice of frozen pastry popped on top and thrown into a nuclear charged oven. A pie is made as a pie, in a bowl, dish, tray, plate or otherwise. Ok, the filling is often made before hand but it all melds together in the oven to produce a proper pie. Am I going on too much here?? Damned convenient for the restaurant but it means I have to eat something else while I dream of a real pie. Is it just me??? Please, tell me it isn't.

.........and while I'm at it........is there a central european training centre that teaches staff at checkout's to firmly hold onto your credit card while they wait for the stream of paper to print out so they can then bundle it all together and hand it to you in a package which is then a handful to sort out, extract your card, put in your wallet, put the receipts somewhere else and then clear orf! I want my card now!!! so I can put it in my wallet then the wallet can be slipped in my pocket so my hands are free to take the destroyed rainforest of paper complete with luminous printed marketing, throw it in the shopping bag or packet and leave. I've reached a few times for my card in advance only to watch in disbelief as their hand pulls away, darting this way and that to ensure they complete their stupid task of frustrating the *+"!!! out of me!!!! What a completely pointless exercise?!?!?!!?

Anyway, said website will not get my business as if they can't simply put an email so I can ask them a simple question or a form that doesn't require me to "COMPLETE ALL BOXES WITH AN OFFICIOUS ASTERIX"! If I walk into a shop they don't ask me for my personal details before they answer a sales question do they!

Of course this does mean I don't get the guide book doesn't it. Really wanted that guide too. Principals! Huh!!

Are you from Lancashire??

Only I have friends that are that passionate about the Pie situation, and they all are Lancashire People. Mention pies, and off they go! Got to have sides and a bottom, if I wanted a casserole I would ask for it etc.

You would get on like a house on fire.

Most websites demand info to know who you are, more as security and also for judging their market. Some require you to register first, some contact forms require quite a bit of info as the more you have, the less likely you are to get spam enquiries.

It also aids the enquiry should their be a mispelt e-mail address or other error than would pevent further action. To give an eample of this, I had a chap leave a garbled voicemail message and I could not clearly get his contact details - if he had filled in a form, I could have emailed him for his number. Instead their was nothing I could do - meaning he thinks we couldn't be bothered, whilst we were hoping he would call back.

Some will sell you info on, so do look at their terms first. On ours we have a privacy policy where details go no further. Not many are like this, so do read the terms first.

Had a lovely pie lid casserole last week........:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Excellent Rant :thumb: Not seen one this good that I agree with in full for ages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Are you from Lancashire??

Only I have friends that are that passionate about the Pie situation, and they all are Lancashire People. Mention pies, and off they go! Got to have sides and a bottom, if I wanted a casserole I would ask for it etc.

You would get on like a house on fire.

Most websites demand info to know who you are, more as security and also for judging their market. Some require you to register first, some contact forms require quite a bit of info as the more you have, the less likely you are to get spam enquiries.

It also aids the enquiry should their be a mispelt e-mail address or other error than would pevent further action. To give an eample of this, I had a chap leave a garbled voicemail message and I could not clearly get his contact details - if he had filled in a form, I could have emailed him for his number. Instead their was nothing I could do - meaning he thinks we couldn't be bothered, whilst we were hoping he would call back.

Some will sell you info on, so do look at their terms first. On ours we have a privacy policy where details go no further. Not many are like this, so do read the terms first.

Had a lovely pie lid casserole last week........:thumb:

Manchester to be precise so near enough. My cover is blown!

Don't really agree about the required security info though. If there is an email address and I send an email they have my email to reply to. Simples. I don't mind giving out my mobile number as if a retailer is prepared to call me then great! If I get their email wrong I receive an undelivered return email telling me so which happens occasionally so I check it, find my mistake and send it again. There is so much personal data grabbing on the web that really, no one can convince me that to make a simple enquiry I have to give my full address and telephone number. It's just not on.

It's strange isn't, that nowadays a lot and I mean a lot of retailers online are not prepared to give a contact number to the customer but THEY want all our info completed on a form! I fully understand about keeping costs down, so no staff to pay to answer phones helps with this. But really, call me a cynic if you want but nowadays I feel like little more than a sheep being corralled down a path whereupon a computer detects any and all of my 'buying signals' in order to plant an order upon me. Yeah, exaggerating again, but perception is reality to the individual.

Off to buy some cheese in a real shop with hopefully a real person. And if the cheese is really, really good, I may give her my address and telephone number.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Well said that man, I can’t agree more…

Tell you what else is annoying, poor computer programming / web design.

Let me give you some examples:

a) Menu options that you can’t access because the options close when you move the curson 1/200000th of a mm.
b) Enter DOB, day is fine, month ok (besides the Yanks who do insist on the month being 1st) and then you have the year. They have 2013 at the top of the scroll down options, how many kids do you know who were born in 2013 and can use a computer? Then at the button of the year options you have 1900’s, that would make the person potentially 113 years old and wants to use a PC.
c) Then is country of residence,,, Yep, top of the list USA, there are other countries besides the bloody USA, or, could it be that they are not intelligent enough to scroll down?
d) e-mail addresses, that bugs me, and so I put in any old crap, as long as it’s in the right format it will work eg. ShiftZZ@homeandhavingabeerandcurry.com.
e) Same with companies on the phone, “ Can I have your home and mobile number?” NO. "Well we need it!". No you don’t, end of story.
f) Lastly, they ask for your name , hmmmm Shift ZZ, can I call you Shift? No.
They appear to forget that when you get older the grumpy gene kicks in and it can become very aggressive when you get a call from and Indian Call centre and anyone from Hull.

And then there is PC World. try buying the cheapest mouse (under £5.00) and they will ask you if you would like extended warranty. NO, its a bleeding £5..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

c) Then is country of residence,,, Yep, top of the list USA, there are other countries besides the bloody USA, or, could it be that they are not intelligent enough to scroll down?
e) Same with companies on the phone, “ Can I have your home and mobile number?” NO. "Well we need it!". No you don’t, end of story.

And then there is PC World. try buying the cheapest mouse (under £5.00) and they will ask you if you would like extended warranty. NO, its a bleeding £5..

A quick tip for C)... Press the letter U on your keyboard until UK comes up. Usually either 2nd option or straight after United Arab Emirates. Saves you scrolling through the list and squinting to see what they all say.

Yet another reason why I refuse point blank to shop at PC World.

At what age does all this anger and ranting come on I must be close at 58

Kicked in for me around the age of 27, getting worse as I get older.:ROFLMAO: I was first accused of being a Victor Meldrew in my early 30's.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Kicked in for me around the age of 27, getting worse as I get older. I was first accused of being a Victor Meldrew in my early 30's.

More of a basil faulty myself according to certain family members

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are we related?

You were separated at birth, they thought two ugly stroppy babies would finish your poor mother off so sold one to a passing Lithuanian goat cheese salesman in the belief the two would never pair up again.

However, The Horned One, had other plans and the Lithuanian goat cheese salesman had a heart attack before he left the country and your twin was taken into care by the Sally Army, the branch near Portsmouth docks, you know, the one that mysteriously burned down on Christmas Day with the only survivor one small ugly baby who was taken in by a blind couple from Rutting In The Hay, Oxon.

Now The Dark Lord's plan is complete, the two are paired again and we are all doomed, Doomed I tell yea.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You were separated at birth, they thought two ugly stroppy babies would finish your poor mother off so sold one to a passing Lithuanian goat cheese salesman in the belief the two would never pair up again.

However, The Horned One, had other plans and the Lithuanian goat cheese salesman had a heart attack before he left the country and your twin was taken into care by the Sally Army, the branch near Portsmouth docks, you know, the one that mysteriously burned down on Christmas Day with the only survivor one small ugly baby who was taken in by a blind couple from Rutting In The Hay, Oxon.

Now The Dark Lord's plan is complete, the two are paired again and we are all doomed, Doomed I tell yea.

Thanks Dad, Old men and PC's a disaster waiting to happen,,,

Yes, the nurse will be along soon, yes, enima and Vimto...

Funsters , sorry about me dad, fantasy world of Burstners, Mtorcycles and home made fudge.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Regarding the OP:

What a class rant!!
A joy to read.
Worthy of the ShiftZZ's annual Moaning Git award.:winky:

What you describe as a restaurant "pie" is not a pie, it's a LIE!!
Maybe there is something about us Lancashire folk and pies, comes from the cotton mills in days gone by.
We are as passionate about our pies as the Welsh are about their [HI]occasional [/HI]upward blips in rugby.
Mentioning the wrong make of pie in the wrong town can lead to a whole lot of heartache.
Manchester....let me think....Holland's meat and potato man??:thumb:

Just to get in a pre-emptive strike, don't listen to our Welsh colonial cousins if they go on about Clark's pies...they are shite.:thumbdown:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Regarding the OP:

What a class rant!!
A joy to read.

Maybe there is something about us Lancashire folk and pies, comes from the cotton mills in days gone by.
We are as passionate about our pies as the Welsh are about their [HI]occasional [/HI]upward blips in rugby.
Mentioning the wrong make of pie in the wrong town can lead to a whole lot of heartache.

Just to get in a pre-emptive strike, don't listen to our Welsh colonial cousins if they go on about Clark's pies...they are shite.:thumbdown:

Ginsters now rule the world still crap though Cornwall's biggest export
Fray bentos for ever

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Though not that keen on pies, I can relate to the business with the card.

I always take the card, leaving them holding all the paper, then slowly put it back in my wallet and put the wallet in my pocket. Only then do I relieve them of the paper, screw it up as small as possible and chuck it in the bag.
It doesn't stop them doing exactly the same thing next time but makes me feel better.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Own up !!!

a) Menu options that you can’t access because the options close when you move the curson 1/200000th of a mm.
b) Enter DOB, day is fine, month ok (besides the Yanks who do insist on the month being 1st) and then you have the year. They have 2013 at the top of the scroll down options, how many kids do you know who were born in 2013 and can use a computer? Then at the button of the year options you have 1900’s, that would make the person potentially 113 years old and wants to use a PC.
d) e-mail addresses, that bugs me, and so I put in any old crap, as long as it’s in the right format it will work eg.[HI] ShiftZZ@homeandhavingabeerandcurry.com[/HI].
f) Lastly, they ask for your name , hmmmm Shift ZZ, can I call you Shift? No.
They appear to forget that when you get older the grumpy gene kicks in and it can become very aggressive when you get a call from and Indian Call centre and anyone from Hull.

How many people actually tried it...just in case !!! I did for one !!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I am not from Lancashire, but I am so glad to hear other people rant about the "PIE". How can something in a bowl with exploding puff pastry on top ever be referred to as a pie!!!!!!!!

Oh by the way op fantastic rant::bigsmile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I can never be sure why any communication that comes through my door
from The Government.

Asks me Where I live
as the first Question:Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Regarding the OP:

What a class rant!!
A joy to read.

Fortunately or unfortunately I was dragged out of Manchester aged seven to Nottinghamshire. More known for it's lace than pastry heaven. One of my favourite pies though has to be a Greens meat and potato.......Oops!!....sorry, Potato and Meat!.....Trade descriptions act put us all straight on that one. Greens were a small shop in Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria where I spent some years on a building submarine. I have to say though, it's pretty hard to beat a traditional Cornish Pasty. Or Oggie to those in the know. I put two stone on in the very early Eighties living on those things in Plymouth.

Now I spend a lot of time working around Europe, mainly in Germany and GOD! I miss them all. Even the creamy chicken efforts some people put out. The Germans have their sausages, or so they think. Never eaten a good one over there yet. I love the little huts outside supermarkets proclaiming "Original Thuringer Wurst"!! .......Like anyone would copy one??? Not unless they had a surplus of rock salt and gizzards.........!

When I hit the UK the first thing I do is look for one of those Cornish Pasty Outlets at the motorway services.......! Even if it means stopping at every one. I'm not a basic eater, far from it. I love fine food and love to cook but there are some things that........well.......that get to you and you can't let them go. If you get the chance, visit Bristol and go to the market there. It's open every day. There is a pie stall selling 'Pieminster Pie's'. Gorgeous! I ate one sitting down with mash and peas and couldn't walk away without buying one to go.

Of course now I'm on a diet in France. Just arrived too so some work to do on the waist line. I know, I know. What the hell am I doing on a diet in France? Only I would decide upon that vain attempt.

Next time I'll regale you with my rants of Motorway Services in Germany......Can you believe.......the same cheese, the same salami, the same bread across the depth and breadth of the country! Unbelievable but true. I love to wind my friends up and tell them you can eat far better in a petrol station in the UK than you can in a restaurant in Germany. Unless you love cream with everything and then you can't..............

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Ginsters now rule the world still crap though Cornwall's biggest export
Fray bentos for ever

GINSTERS

This thing arrived upon a plate
be fair it wasn't truly great
it seemed to have a pastry base
a soggy crust, a lack of taste.

Whatever it contained inside
it was a while since it had died
accompanied by a lump of spud
a dollop scooped potato pud

and one fresh mess of garden peas
which sat there in complete unease
an un-congealed mess which maybe
vaguely resembled gravy.

It's Ginsters they said in happy chorus

I'm sure as hell it wasn't for us.

© Roger Holcombe, All rights reserved

Ginsters is a large commercial firm in uk, they claim to produce a proper Cornish Pastie
not pastry, and to those who have eaten the real thing there is no resemblance in this
foul calumny and a Proper Oggie (or Pastie) like grandma made.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
See fray bentos rules :thumb:
My mate lives about 1 mile from ginsters he reports it stinks and would not touch one based on insider information (this could be illegal)
The only good thing is their bonfire night display
Read into that what you will

OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
GINSTERS

This thing arrived upon a plate
be fair it wasn't truly great
it seemed to have a pastry base
a soggy crust, a lack of taste.

Whatever it contained inside
it was a while since it had died
accompanied by a lump of spud
a dollop scooped potato pud

and one fresh mess of garden peas
which sat there in complete unease
an un-congealed mess which maybe
vaguely resembled gravy.

It's Ginsters they said in happy chorus

I'm sure as hell it wasn't for us.

© Roger Holcombe, All rights reserved

Ginsters is a large commercial firm in uk, they claim to produce a proper Cornish Pastie
not pastry, and to those who have eaten the real thing there is no resemblance in this
foul calumny and a Proper Oggie (or Pastie) like grandma made.

Very good!!!

And yes, Gingsters........AVOID AVOID AVOID!! ............a kind of food that perhaps after the next nuclear holocaust will be the only thing to survive due to the special kind of chemical combination mixed in to help the meat that McDonalds rejected taste almost, very nearly like a kind of, dare I say it, meat?

I used to MOT my last van in Newark in combination with a visit to a friend there. A very friendly workshop who used to drop me off in Newark while they got on with the van. Quite out of my way and though I enjoyed my friends company, one reason for driving there for the MOT was the Pasty shop in the town centre! I really wanted to sit in the warm in the opposite Costa Coffee researching van accessories with free wifi but instead I would stand in the street burning my mouth on a large, traditional pasty. My body chilled to the bone by January weather, my mind in pastry heaven. One year I convinced them to let me buy a box of frozen one's which I forced into the small freezer compartment of the van and drove them across Europe punctuating 'Original Thuringer Wurst' with a hit of cornish heaven. I'm a lost cause..........

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

SEND em an Email to enquiries @whatever.com
let them do the worrying:thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Now I like a Pasty. My trip to Cornwall will always involve going to St Ives primarily for a Lamb, mint and pea pasty from Penganna Bakery just up from the Lifeboat House. Don't like the Philp's brand, too peppery for me.

Now Grumpiness, do we really get grumpy/grumpier with age, or is it that we are more inclined to say what everyone thinks, but is too damn scared to say?

So Crantock's, (available now on P & O), give a little bit of Past history.
Crantock's World

A blog about the Cornish pasty from Crantock's – Cornwall's Finest Baker
The First Pasty
One of the oldest historical references to the pasty dates back to the reign of King Henry III in the 13th century. In those days there was little difference between pies and pasties, with the terms being used to describe an inedible “paste” of flour and water which was formed into “coffyns” containing rich stews of venison and porpoise.
Pasties were a favoured food of the nobility, with King Henry having a penchant for the lamprey pasty. This scaleless eel-like fish was highly prized by the King, who in 1242 commanded the Bailiffs of Gloucester to “send pasties of salmon and lampreys as quickly and frequently as they can to the King.”
The pasty as we know it today was made possible in the 1460s with the introduction of edible pastry from Italy, and during the 16th and 17th centuries the venison pasty became more popular with the Britons.
The diaries of Samuel Pepys (1660-1669) contain many references to venison pasties, with the shortcrust pastry an integral part of the hand-held meal.
However, it was not until Cornwall’s tin and copper mining industry took off in the early 19th century that the beef, potato and swede filling that we recognise as today’s Cornish pasty became popular.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back