Problem with my Blackberry tablet!! (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, I love my tablet but for some reason since we have arrived in Spain it simply will not charge.

When I plug in the usb lead to an adapton, whether it be 12 or 240 volt the red charging light comes on for 20 seconds then goes to green with a feint red line in the middle.

No matter how long I leave it charging it never charges. If I take the charger out and put it in again I get the 20 seconds blast. I thought it could be that I did not have the correct 240 adaptor, but I have borrowed a charger from another funster and there is no difference at all.

For the first time I took out the 3 year warranty with the tablet and I think I will have to make use of it, unless someone can recommend a solution.

Thanks

Ginny

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Ginny .. from Blackberry Support ..

Using the Playbook OEM Charger, (NOT the usb from your PC )

Hold down the Power Button only for 20 seconds. Leave it for 4 minutes, then unplug at the wall, wait a minute, plug it back in again, hold down the Power Button only for 20 seconds.

Repeat this process about 10 times and hopefully, your PlayBook should go into a high charging rate. Leave it plugged in overnight and you should have a full charge by morning.

That should work. If not, try this:
Make sure you are using the OEM wall charger that came with the Playbook.

LEAVE it connected to the wall outlet charger (not the USB > PC charger).
Leave it connected for 24 hours... every 3-5 hours, press and hold the power button only for about 20 seconds.
Eventually it will boot on up, but first must reach a certain charge level.
You will see the blinking red and perhaps yellowish LED light, and perhaps a symbol on screen of "no battery".
That means the battery is drained, but it must reach a certain charge before powering on.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
As i understand it, the charging system is software controlled, so if the battery is totally flat it won't charge. I don't use the usb charger anymore, i bought one that connects magnetically to the three pins much better and doesn't wear the usb socket.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
As i understand it, the charging system is software controlled, so if the battery is totally flat it won't charge. I don't use the usb charger anymore, i bought one that connects magnetically to the three pins much better and doesn't wear the usb socket.

Ian

Could you tell me where you bought it please?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Amazon [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XVM0SC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]BlackBerry PlayBook Rapid Travel Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

I think jim got one that acts as a stand, but i prefer this type as i usually sit with the playbook in my lap.

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Amazon BlackBerry PlayBook Rapid Travel Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I think jim got one that acts as a stand, but i prefer this type as i usually sit with the playbook in my lap.

Ian

Yes indeed Ian..

I have this one .. or rather Chaz has it now :Doh:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-PlayBook-Rapid-Charging-Stand/dp/B004XVM0S2/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_img_y"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-PlayBook-Rapid-Charging-Stand/dp/B004XVM0S2/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_img_y[/ame]

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have an Asus Transformer and had a similar problem. To save taking multiple chargers I took only my phone charger. However I found that it wouldn't charge even when left overnight. I subsequently realised that it can only be charged with its own charger as it requires higher voltage and current than phone chargers will deliver.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If it charges via the usb2 socket then that's standardised at 5v, 0.5amp, the playbook knows when its connected via usb and goes in to a low charge rate so as not to overload the power supply to the socket. The usb charger they supply tells the playbook that it can supply a higher power, so the playbook doesn't go in to low power charging mode. I bought a car cigar socket charger for it and this does the same.

Other tablets work in the same way which is probably why your phone charger didn't work.

Ian

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi again,

I sent for the Fast charger from ebay, and it arrived this morning - very speedy delivery almost better than if I had been in the UK!.

I plugged everything in and the light came on red for about 5 seconds then turned to green.

I turned it on and checked the battery charge on the screen, it shows as 0% with an electric symbol through. Does this mean it is charging correctly?

Ginny

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi again,

I sent for the Fast charger from ebay, and it arrived this morning - very speedy delivery almost better than if I had been in the UK!.

I plugged everything in and the light came on red for about 5 seconds then turned to green.

I turned it on and checked the battery charge on the screen, it shows as 0% [HI]with an electric symbol through[/HI]. Does this mean it is charging correctly?

Ginny

Yes :thumb:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hurrah!
Just a note - when I plug mine into a USB socket, a little message warns that it will not charge... although I think it does, slightly, just a bit, or at least doesn't discharge as fast as it would unconnected...

Gadget batteries are dark arts... so many different recipes & spells to make them last longer, live longer... some say this, some say that... the only thing I know is if a battery is drained completely, then it will take some time to charge enough to even turn said gadget on, even if still plugged in via the manufacturer approved gizmo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back