I've lost my bearings – Compass question. (1 Viewer)

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
I have a couple of compasses, one came with the Satellite Dish system and one I bought separately, that I use to find North when I'm setting up my Tv dish.

When I use them in the MH they give a different reading depending on whereabouts in the MH I put them.

Sometimes each compass points in a different direction to the other - and that's not very helpful.

When standing outside the MH they both seem to point to magnetic North together but transferring that direction back into the MH isn't a very accurate way of doing it.

Do you think I'm being too meticulous about finding the right direction or could you recommend any particular make of compass that would be better suited to be used in the MH than the ones I already have?

Attachments

• IMG_4173A.jpg
    IMG_4173A.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 8
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a couple of compasses, one came with the Satellite Dish system and one I bought separately, that I use to find North when I'm setting up my Tv dish.

When I use them in the MH they give a different reading depending on whereabouts in the MH I put them.

Sometimes each compass points in a different direction to the other - and that's not very helpful.

When standing outside the MH they both seem to point to magnetic North together but transferring that direction back into the MH isn't a very accurate way of doing it.

Do you think I'm being too meticulous about finding the right direction or could you recommend any particular make of compass that would be better suited to be used in the MH than the ones I already have?
Probably too much steel around you for a good reading. You can overcome this by using your sat nav or a compass app for your phone. Also easier to read while you are driving.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Try the maxiview compass , dial sets the direction of the satellite,or get the sat finder app if you have a smart phone.Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but transferring that direction back into the MH isn't a very accurate way of doing it.

Go outside where you are clear of all the magnetism in your MH. Work out your bearing and look for something in the distance on that bearing. Go back and visually line up using that point in the distance.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
why use a compass, a map will orientate you even if the sun is not out. If the sun is out point the hour hand of an analogue clock/watch at the sun and bisect the angle between that and 12 the result is dues south point the sat a little to the east of that. You only need an approx direction then use the sat finder to find the correct sat. the whole proceedure only takes a couple of mins

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Won't that suffer the same problems as a normal compass ?
No, if you have a phone signal then you will have an accurate compass reading. I have just tested this by installing "smart compass" from the google store. Very good app it uses your camera so you can pan into your point of reference and work from that using mag compass or degrees. It also gives pitch and roll reading. I think I will keep it on my phone now.:thumb:
PS
Just giving this some thought, you could be right, depends what it uses for its movement. It works ok indoors though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No, if you have a phone signal then you will have an accurate compass reading. I have just tested this by installing "smart compass" from the google store. Very good app it uses your camera so you can pan into your point of reference and work from that using mag compass or degrees. It also gives pitch and roll reading. I think I will keep it on my phone now.:thumb:
PS
Just giving this some thought, you could be right, depends what it uses for its movement. It works ok indoors though.
Another useful app for motorhomers is clinometer, which is basically a one or two way spirit level, handy for checking the level of the van.
Plus the free satfinder ! hours of fun !:thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Another useful app for motorhomers is clinometer, which is basically a one or two way spirit level, handy for checking the level of the van.
Plus the free satfinder ! hours of fun !:thumb:
I can see if I am going to roll out of bed or not without a clinometer, besides a bootle on the worktop works just as well:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back