A 'lifestyle' change for us.... (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well, I've finally done it :whatthe: For many reasons which will only bore you I have resigned from my job and will be 'free' after the 19th June ::bigsmile:

We are planning to tour the Outer Hebrides for about 6 weeks, then Eire for a month or so then take a leisurely trip down thru France and Spain to spend the 'colder' months in Southern Portugal......::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Let the party start :Smile::Smile::Smile: :Cool:

Oct 30, 2011
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Exp
Since 2012
Go for it!

I escaped the slavery last year and am planning to spend next winter in Spain too.

Since packing in work its amazing how many others I have met who are doing likewise.

Enjoy:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
enjoy and go where the fancy takes you but dont plan it. I have been out travelling for three months and love it. Someone at Newark show asked me tonight "but what dont you like about travelling full time?" and I cant think of anything - enjoy

trakweb

Free Member
Apr 20, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since March 2012
We took the plunge on the 19th March and are now sitting in a field on the Welsh borders in 3 inches of snow. Toasty warm and having a whale of a time - so go ahead and enjoy.::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Also thinking of wintering in Spain this year too!

Don't expect miracles.

There have been some real disasters reported on here over the years. Awnings ripped off. Endless rain.

Look at the Moroccan Mob this year, it wasn't until they were way down south before they got a bit of decent weather.

We had three weeks in Benidorm in Feb, it was OK, but spoiled by cold high winds. The question is, is it better to be in a tin box looking out at "OK" or back at home in a nice warm home looking out at "freezing".

There's not a lot in it in my humble opinion, except the cost.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
TBH I don't really mind where we go or how hot or cold (well not too hot!) it is. I am looking forward to being to take the adventure at a 'leisurely' pace without having to worry about being 'back in the office on a Monday morning'. :Smile:

A few years ago we did the same on a boat for three years and after that it just wasn't the same going away for just 2 or 3 days at a time. The concern with 'getting back' was always on our mind. :Sad:

Any way, I'm looking forward to a new kind of stress.............one that is different from where I work and what I do :thumb:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Don't expect miracles.

There have been some real disasters reported on here over the years. Awnings ripped off. Endless rain.

Look at the Moroccan Mob this year, it wasn't until they were way down south before they got a bit of decent weather.

We had three weeks in Benidorm in Feb, it was OK, but spoiled by cold high winds. [HI]The question is, is it better to be in a tin box looking out at "OK" or back at home in a nice warm home looking out at "freezing".[/HI]

There's not a lot in it in my humble opinion, except the cost.

Having done both, my first two winters as a fulltimer -20C and snowed in. I can say with no reservation I would rather be nice and warm in a tin box looking out at a different view every few weeks rather than sat in my brick house in the same place talking to the same people about the same crap every day. Even being stuck in the UK fulltiming beats living in a brick box. In my van I tend to overlook beautiful countryside with not a house in sight. Looking out my windows at the house all I saw was other houses.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Having done both, my first two winters as a fulltimer -20C and snowed in. I can say with no reservation I would rather be nice and warm in a tin box looking out at a different view every few weeks rather than sat in my brick house in the same place [HI]talking to the same people about the same crap every day[/HI]. Even being stuck in the UK fulltiming beats living in a brick box. In my van I tend to overlook beautiful countryside with not a house in sight. Looking out my windows at the house [HI]all I saw was other houses.[/HI]

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I know where you're coming from, that's how I feel about sailing off for a few weeks on the boat, if you don't like the view either wait for the tide to turn you or sail somewhere else, but my latest cottage in the New Forest looks out over heath-land and woods.

I can't see another house from any window; I can see ponies and deer and birds I haven't seen since childhood and I wouldn't swap this view for any view from my motorhome for any length of time.

Best of luck chocswahay
:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well, I've finally done it :whatthe: For many reasons which will only bore you I have resigned from my job and will be 'free' after the 19th June ::bigsmile:

Well, I did my last ambulance flight at around 3 o'clock this morning, smooth flight, a landing to be proud of, taxi back to the hanger, shut down engines, leave aeroplane................

I do feel a little sad actually :Sad: ....................there is talk of some part time flying but hey, it might not happen..

So time to move on...............embrace the future, there is another world out there :Smile:

Am I retired? semi retired? or on a Gap?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well, I did my last ambulance flight at around 3 o'clock this morning, smooth flight, a landing to be proud of, taxi back to the hanger, shut down engines, leave aeroplane................

I do feel a little sad actually :Sad: ....................there is talk of some part time flying but hey, it might not happen..

So time to move on...............embrace the future, there is another world out there :Smile:

[HI]Am I retired? semi retired? or on a Gap?[/HI]

Take your pick or better still, if you never fly again, decide then.........:thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Keep options open semi retired means possibility of some income later
That's my plan next year but then I have done homework and been self employed before
6 months on 6 months off :thumb:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just 4 years left and then I’m out of the services and free to roam where the hell I like::bigsmile:

I love the services, but have been doing it since 1978 and its almost time to end and my life full timing will begin. I don’t want to wish it away away, but I’m already excited at the prospect of the adventures:roflmto:

I’ll do lots more research into it all as the years tick past, but I do have one question now and that is, what do the true full timers do about their mail? I won’t have any fixed abode at all, but a bank account to run and, while it’s done via the internet, there’s always mail of some form or another. Do you rent a PO Box and drift by when you can or do you have another system in place?:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
be nice to roam where ever we like but unfortunately thats not an option . you can roan where ever they let you .

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years

We are planning to tour the Outer Hebrides for about 6 weeks, then Eire for a month or so then take a leisurely trip down thru France and Spain to spend the 'colder' months in Southern Portugal......::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Let the party start :Smile::Smile::Smile: :Cool:

Congratulations. Life is worth living and enjoying not slogging away 24/7 and to be quite honest hospital workers, air ambulance staff etc see so much trauma and how quickly lives can be taken that the actual time we are a live becomes more precious.

Go and do everything you have every dreamed of.

Good luck hope to see you at a meet.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.

Congrats :thumb: We took the plunge at the end of last year, I'm just 60 and my soulmate is not 55 yet. She refuses to use the words 'retired' and gap years are what we tell folk. We have 10 weeks to go before we leave Orkney and take our first 3 month voyage of discovery ''Sooth'' :Cool: Maybe we will run into each other sometime! :ROFLMAO:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My current contract expires in August, 11 months short of collecting my pension. With my wife's blessing I'm planning to have a senior gap year that could include anything, but will still need to involve earning a certain amount each week from my talents (God help me). No firm plans yet, but MH travel will be at least a modest part of it - interesting times ahead..

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van

Congratulations on your new adventure. I started mine some 6 months ago at the age of 51, the first time since the age of 16 that I did not have employment. A little scary for me and possibly because of the older generational belief of birth, school, work, die, I felt a bit embarrassed. So I always say "Semi" and normally qualify it by saying i'm looking for something to occupy a few hours per week!....Bizarre isn't it, but thats brits for you.

Good luck.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
I am leaving the health service on Friday after 37 years service! I am definitely not retiring in the sense of sitting by the fireside (we haven't got one in any case!) and when people have been asking me what I am planning to do have replied 'having a gap year'.

Instead of coming home to the house on Friday I am starting as I mean to go on and joining Howie in the MH on a nice peaceful site and a few days away before getting ready to tour Ireland.

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back