lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have a tv that is 240 and say on the transformer (black box on the cable)
240v-12v and 3 amps so not being electrical minded is this 240 in and 12 out. If so does this mean if I cut the wires on the outlet side of transformer and identify Neg and Pos then fit a 12v plug it will work in MH as 12v TV or am I talking a load of sh*t as usual :ROFLMAO:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have a tv that is 240 and say on the transformer (black box on the cable)
240v-12v and 3 amps so not being electrical minded is this 240 in and 12 out. If so does this mean if I cut the wires on the outlet side of transformer and identify Neg and Pos then fit a 12v plug it will work in MH as 12v TV or am I talking a load of sh*t as usual :ROFLMAO:

not sure it would quite work like that as the cigerette lighter type plugs are fused and also different cable.You should be able to get a lead though ,i have one with mine.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would not cut it and waste the transformer. Depending on the plug type into the TV you may find a cheap lead or can make one up from parts...
Got a picture ????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i had to do this on a previous TV as the 4 pin plug wasnt available to buy separately anywhere...it is available now.

you MUST indentify which wire is pos (+) and which is neg (-) or you WILL blow the input circuit of the tv
the wire colour in the lead will most likely be the same for both pos and neg so you need a multimeter to indentify each wire AND which is pos/live leaving the transformer box.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Papajohn

I have a muti meter at work or should I say my shift electrician has so was going to take it to him if this was possible. So if I did this would it work ok. And would I be better buying a fused 12v plug as I know you can get one without.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
i had to do this on a previous TV as the 4 pin plug wasnt available to buy separately anywhere...it is available now.

you MUST indentify which wire is pos (+) and which is neg (-) or you WILL blow the input circuit of the tv
the wire colour in the lead will most likely be the same for both pos and neg so you need a multimeter to indentify each wire AND which is pos/live leaving the transformer box.

Would he not need to use a smaller amp cable ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Papajohn

I have a muti meter at work or should I say my shift electrician has so was going to take it to him if this was possible. So if I did this would it work ok. And would I be better buying a fused 12v plug as I know you can get one without.
cant see any point in fitting another fuse as the 12v socket is already fused either at the habitation fuse panel or at the vansfuse box depending where its sourced from.
the fuse is to protect the wiring...not the appliance.

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
no need.
the output wire from the transformer is already rated for the voltage and current needed...12v 3amps

I thought that as soon as i pushed send,seems a shame to cut though maybe he could set it up somehow so as he can revert back if needed?

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hi Gerry I bought a 19"" TV with DVD for less than £100 recently at ASDA .The power lead at the back has a round plug.I bought one off eBay with a 12v caravan plug on for around a tenner.Dont cut the plug off the brick put it back in the box with the receipt yhen in 11 months take it all back saying its got an intermittent fault exchange it keep receipt and repeat annually! It's known as the telly for life deal!

Vlad :thumb:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I thought that as soon as i pushed send,seems a shame to cut though maybe he could set it up somehow so as he can revert back if needed?

I won't be needing to revert it back as it was my daughters TV before doing her room up and although we had it for 2 years didn't know it had free view built in and also has DVD player so would be handy in van save me buying new one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Gerry, in general if it has a cylindrical plug with metal sleeves inside and out, and a pin and side plate inside the socket, then the centre pin in the socket and inner sleeve in the plug is positive....but check regardless.

this type

Broken Link Removed

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Playing Devils Advocate, although its 240vac/12vdc this is assuming a constant input and therefore output voltage, it is possible the variances in leisure battery output voltages could cause problems or damage to the TV if you go this route if it requires a stabilised voltage.:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Playing Devils Advocate, although its 240vac/12vdc this is assuming a constant input and therefore output voltage, it is possible the variances in leisure battery output voltages could cause problems or damage to the TV if you go this route if it requires a stabilised voltage.:Eeek:
agreed, i usea stabiliser on my 22.5" set in the front but the cheap tv in the bed area doesnt have one and no problems so far.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Would he not need to use a smaller amp cable ?

You never need a smaller amp cable. Having a cable that can cope with higher currents might be more expensive (or less flexible, or heavier) than one that is just large enough, but it isn't a problem in an electrical sense.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Gerry, in general if it has a cylindrical plug with metal sleeves inside and out, and a pin and side plate inside the socket, then the centre pin in the socket and inner sleeve in the plug is positive....but check regardless.

this type

Broken Link Removed
Yes John it's just like that and I was aware of the positive and neg but couldn't remember which way round :ROFLMAO:

agreed, i usea stabiliser on my 22.5" set in the front but the cheap tv in the bed area doesnt have one and no problems so far.

Thanks Stewart I don't mind different opinions or answers it gives me a more educated guess :ROFLMAO: and like the one in johns bed area it's only a cheap one think it was about £89 from tesco and about two years old, I was going to buy a new Kogan 12v one but may as well try this first as its sitting doing nothing in cupboard.
Or could I buy a cable for it that would stop this happening.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If so does this mean if I cut the wires on the outlet side of transformer and identify Neg and Pos then fit a 12v plug it will work in MH as 12v TV

Yes it will. I've done this.

There is a small change that because your battery can be up to 14.5V the TV could fail.

So, are you feelin' lucky punk.

You could pay £30/40 for a 12V in ( that is 12 to 14.5V ) 12V ( rock solid ) out power supply if you ain't feelin' lucky.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes it will. I've done this.

There is a small change that because your battery can be up to 14.5V the TV could fail.

So, are you feelin' lucky punk.

You could pay £30/40 for a 12V in ( that is 12 to 14.5V ) 12V ( rock solid ) out power supply if you ain't feelin' lucky.

Cheers Brian yes I'm feeling lucky as I was only 5 numbers off winning £80M on the lottery so think my luck is in:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If it blows the TV at Chester will just have to come and try out your new lounge area and watch yours :ROFLMAO:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo again Gerry,

I have a 19inch Avtex with integrated DVD going spare as new van came with one, its 2.5 years old almost as new and boxed if your interested. (comes with 240vac transformer and 12 vdc power lead)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stewart does it have built in free view also

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi Stewart does it have built in free view also

Hi Gerry it has both analogue and digital receivers(freeview) built in with single button set up for retuning exactly as the latest models. Once home tomorrow (with luck) I can send model details and full spec.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Cheers Stewart you can pm me and let me know how much you'd be looking for.

Gerry

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Did this to all my TVs.......generally the center cable will be the +ve, don't worry about the small amount of rise in voltage when on hook up, the regulators indside the tv can handle it no problem.

Keith

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I did this with the LCD Freeview/DVD TV, which the boys watch whilst driving. I mounted it behind the drivers seat facing to for the boys.

I just took the original lead with "Brick" to Maplins so I could match the 12V out plug to the TV exactly. Some plugs look the same but can actually be a mm or so different.

I also bought a 12V cigarette type plug there, and made up my own 12V lead for the van. I just double checked the polarity with a meter before assembling the lead. No stabiliser either, and it has been working fine now for over 3 years.

Our "Main" TV in the van is an Avtex, I can also recommend that too, we have had no problems with that one either.

:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
go to maplin or go online to maplin get a fused cig lead from them (you can get 5 and 8 amp fused ones with a single din plug) also if your worried about spikes from the battery doing harm get an 12v battery stabelizer box. they sell both. For the record i dont use a staberlizer box and have had no probs with my tvs which are 240/12 just using the fused cig lead and if you count when i had the kids at home and took them away in my bailey caravan (going back to the 90s) thats a hell of along time. Current tv is a freeview/dvd tv been using it for the last 2 years away in the van and we rarely have hookup when away unless in europe on a site. You then get to keep the 240 side lead intact and can use it if you should stay on a site with ehu

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:winky: