Tips on taking your dog in van (1 Viewer)

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Hi all, we have just acquired the most gorgeous Norfolk terrier from a rescue centre. We plan on taking her away in the motorhome. Any tips on taking your dog with you? Where does your dog sleep? At least we only have a small dog mind you I am surprised how many 'poo' bags we are getting through :Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

on her bed on the floor in the van
at home where she likes :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Our buster and tuppence=( avatar picture)
jack russel cross terriers
Slept on the extended dinette bed
With mrs t and not a sound all night

Me I was forced to sleep in the over cab

buster was a barker at home
But away he calmed down
And forgot to bark

Sadly both have passed on
Still miss them
:thumb::thumb::thumb:​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
We take all three with us, a lab, flat coat and a westie, no problems as such they sleep on the floor between the two bench seats with there water bowl between the cab seats, with a shed load of poo bags in the pocket on the hab door.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Top tip is to get your dog a coat. Then shave it. No hair in the MH. Second top tip is be firm. Both our collies have been told they are not allowed on the seats. Both our collies ignore this however. To tip 3 is if it's a mucky day and you are going out for a walk with the dog leave a jug/ bucket of water handy and a towel just inside the door. Wash paws before going back in. Takes 30seconds and no mucky paw prints to stress about. Tip 4 . You can get a thing called a mucsack. Once picked up you put the bag in it. If you can't find a bin it doesn't let the smell out until you find one. Hope these are of some use.
We also have a handheld dyson animal..........:thumb: both our dogs are rescues.:thumb:

OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Handheld Dysons are great we have one at home for cats and now dog. Will look into the mucsak and the water/towel tip is excellent especially with this weather. :Smile:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have 2 Bichon Frise which do not moult.

I am not as house proud as some of you:Smile:

I put a comfy throw over the bedding and my dogs sleep on the bed:Smile:

Easy to wash without dirtying bedding.

I am happy and dogs are happy.:Smile:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
bed

At home Kobi sleeps in the kitchen and has a big surprise waiting for him when we get home mid April -- NO MORE sleeping on the bed beside me.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
We have 2 Sottie /westie crosses.They dont really moult But can get hairy pretty quick.If they get muddy bellies when its bad weather they get a sponge down and towel rub at the door.(with hot water ) spoilt.They dont mind this at all.They sleep exactly where they want,normally between me and wife( Although we never took them this weekend,good job because they would have barked all night, noisy neighbour):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Mind you if they were with us we could have dumped poo bags under Treacles (noisy neighbours ) van.The dogs love being with us and love the walks.

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Ours gets a sleeping pad in between the front seats, and when we're travelling he is harnessed and we use a dog seatbelt to stop him getting in the front or being thrown in the event of an accident.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Well here goes, choose wisely xxxx

If dog is pooing too often the food you are feeding the dog may be too rich try changing it xxxx

Teach the dog where they are allowed and not allowed to be from the start and stick to it. Make sure they have their own bed and bedding in the motorhome and teach them where to sit when travelling (its hard work but persevering now will bring rewards later xxx)

Always keep in the van:

Pet bedding, pet towel and shampoo, pet brush, pet raincoat doglead and harness, food, feeding bowls and poobags xx

A bottle of water from your own home is also worth carrying as water tastes different and they can get an upset tummy if the water where you stay has been chemically treated.

DONT forget the flea spray and the advantage/stronghold or whatever you put on the pets to keep the fleas at bay, remember your dog may be treated but it doesnt stop fleas from others jumping on your dog and then jumping off onto your carpet or bedding.

MOST importantly certainly in London (not sure if its countrywide) and are walking dogs you must have at least the same number of poo bags on your person somewhere as the number of dogs you are walking. If you get stopped by an enforcement officer and do not have this, you can be fined £80 per dog. So if you are walking 3 dogs and are poobagless thats £240 on the spot fine regardless of whether they need the toilet or not.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Well here goes, choose wisely xxxx

If dog is pooing too often the food you are feeding the dog may be too rich try changing it xxxx

Teach the dog where they are allowed and not allowed to be from the start and stick to it. Make sure they have their own bed and bedding in the motorhome and teach them where to sit when travelling (its hard work but persevering now will bring rewards later xxx)

Always keep in the van:

Pet bedding, pet towel and shampoo, pet brush, pet raincoat doglead and harness, food, feeding bowls and poobags xx

A bottle of water from your own home is also worth carrying as water tastes different and they can get an upset tummy if the water where you stay has been chemically treated.

DONT forget the flea spray and the advantage/stronghold or whatever you put on the pets to keep the fleas at bay, remember your dog may be treated but it doesnt stop fleas from others jumping on your dog and then jumping off onto your carpet or bedding.

MOST importantly certainly in London (not sure if its countrywide) and are walking dogs you must have at least the same number of poo bags on your person somewhere as the number of dogs you are walking. If you get stopped by an enforcement officer and do not have this, you can be fined £80 per dog. So if you are walking 3 dogs and are poobagless thats £240 on the spot fine regardless of whether they need the toilet or not.

Good post. The only thing missing is a tick remover.
We always have loads of poo bags in our pockets but I have to ask. You leave home with three dogs and three bags. One dog poos, you use a bag and bin it. Warden stops you and you have three dogs and two bags. What happens?:thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Good post. The only thing missing is a tick remover.
We always have loads of poo bags in our pockets but I have to ask. You leave home with three dogs and three bags. One dog poos, you use a bag and bin it. Warden stops you and you have three dogs and two bags. What happens?:thumb:

Take him to the poo bin

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Dog ......
Dog food.....
Bowls .....
Old towel to wipe feet.....
Lead.....
Poo bag....
Wanger and ball.....
Motorhome.....
FUN.!

Vlad.

Last edited:

dadsmad

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
newtownards
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we have the one westie and although told where to sleep he normally sleeps where he wants (between my wife and i) i have just received my order of biodegradable poop bags from www.muttsbutts.com, very good quality £40.25 for 2000 bags.
we also keep a pet towel at the door
he has been chipped and has his own passport
for travelling abroad you can get special flea type collar for a type of flea in europe
happy travelling

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Gordon aint gotta clue, perhaps just always make sure you have loads on you. We usually carry a roll on us

Must admit the stuff we put on our dog also does ticks and mange so never thought. We have to be careful because of the wild foxes.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our collie sleeps on her bed in the drivers footwell most of the time, which is a bit claustrophobic but she likes it, probably reminds her of the cage she sleeps in at home.

If its very cold she moves to the kitchen area or beside our bed where there are heat outlets.
She travels on the L shaped settee behind the passenger seat with a harness that plugs into the seatbelt thingy, which gives her a good view forward and to both sides.

She is not allowed on beds or on the seats unless her 'throw' is on it for travel.
She loves travelling and seeing (smelling) new places, and will quite happily be driven all day (her bladder is much stronger than mine!)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi all, we have just acquired the most gorgeous Norfolk terrier from a rescue centre. We plan on taking her away in the motorhome. Any tips on taking your dog with you? Where does your dog sleep? At least we only have a small dog mind you I am surprised how many 'poo' bags we are getting through :Smile:

Well done on rescuing a dog! You may not know its background? Suggest you take plenty of his/her toys, bedding etc to make it a home from home.
You may wish to leave him/her and finding a chewed MH on return is not the way to a long and happy relationship. But also a deterrent to a would be thief. Leave a bowl and chain outside..............
Thankfully my little fella has never chewed and travels well. He learnt to keep it zipped, admire the scenery, accept whatever comes his way and NEVER goes on the bed or furniture at home or in the van. That previously fluffy little puppy can now carry 2lb of prime Essex mud! He waits at the doorway before entering through the hall for drying and cleaning, even on dry days. It's a habit he has got into.
I walk mine before leaving him in the MH and he curls up and sleeps, as he did on crossing to Calais.

Attachments

• P1060502.jpg
    P1060502.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Well done on rescuing a dog! You may not know its background? Suggest you take plenty of his/her toys, bedding etc to make it a home from home.
You may wish to leave him/her and finding a chewed MH on return is not the way to a long and happy relationship. But also a deterrent to a would be thief. Leave a bowl and chain outside..............
[HI]Thankfully my little fella has never chewed and travels well. He learnt to keep it zipped, admire the scenery, accept whatever comes his way and NEVER goes on the bed or furniture at home or in the van. That previously fluffy little puppy can now carry 2lb of prime Essex mud! He waits at the doorway before entering through the hall for drying and cleaning, even on dry days. It's a habit he has got into.[/HI]
I walk mine before leaving him in the MH and he curls up and sleeps, as he did on crossing to Calais.

and i bet you dont need to switch the alarm on when he can be seen from outside:Eeek:

our spaniel is the same, and he tries hard with the mud. its all about creating the habit and being consistent until the message is received. :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
pS; we have a "Tommy Tippee" type dog bowl that we put water down while we are travelling for him to drink. not spilt yet, and ive tried hard a few times.:ROFLMAO:

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Dogs in the motorhome

We have two very badly behaved weimaraners and took them to Ireland with us earlier this year. The weather was terrible so they were continuously muddy.
We cleaned and dried them as best we could, but the motorhome looked grubby after a few days.
We bought a couple of cheap single duvet covers and put them over the drivers and passenger seats and had the dogs sleep on there. They were easy to wash when we got home and the actual seats were fine when we took the duvet covers off.
I agree that the way ahead is to be stricter with the dogs, but Weims are known to be one of the most stubborn of dogs. They are getting better, but it will take time!!
A friend of ours reckoned it can take 5 years to train a Weim so we have some way to go yet!!
JJG

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi We take our two yorkshire ts with us all the time but they have allways slept in a cage in the kitchen at home (doors allways open). We allways take the cage with us but they tend to sleep where they like in the van but if we go out without them we allways lock them in the cage so as to stop them jumping on the dash ect and hurting themselves,we also are not having to worry if they are ok .start as you mean to go on i say. :winky:cheers.H

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
We have two very badly behaved weimaraners and took them to Ireland with us earlier this year. The weather was terrible so they were continuously muddy.
We cleaned and dried them as best we could, but the motorhome looked grubby after a few days.
We bought a couple of cheap single duvet covers and put them over the drivers and passenger seats and had the dogs sleep on there. They were easy to wash when we got home and the actual seats were fine when we took the duvet covers off.
I agree that the way ahead is to be stricter with the dogs, but Weims are known to be one of the most stubborn of dogs. They are getting better, but it will take time!!
A friend of ours reckoned it can take 5 years to train a Weim so we have some way to go yet!!
JJG

Ihave 2 badly behaved Irish setters.....( I blame the owners...:Blush: )and 1 sweet yorkie...In the summer months when i have the awning out I take a dog crate and they sleep in the awning....My girls are 6 this year and are just beginning to calm down....but....when we are away in the MH....new smells etc...they just can't help themselves.. They also travel on the dinette bed which I put down for them (seatbelt harnesses on) and they are as good as gold.

Shirl

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
[HI]and i bet you dont need to switch the alarm on when he can be seen from outside[/HI]:Eeek:

our spaniel is the same, and he tries hard with the mud. its all about creating the habit and being consistent until the message is received. :thumb:

Turning alarm off was the problem. First time we left him the alarm went off due to him setting off the volumetric sensor. Return to MH, get Cobra alarm book out to switch it off. Also we alarm doors at night but switch off sensor.
Wife had gone to bed early one night, I came back but didn't announce myself, as I tried the door, 50lb of beast made it to the door with the classic 45 degrees spread of the front legs. No bark, no warning.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Turning alarm off was the problem. First time we left him the alarm went off due to him setting off the volumetric sensor. Return to MH, get Cobra alarm book out to switch it off. Also we alarm doors at night but switch off sensor.
Wife had gone to bed early one night, I came back but didn't announce myself, as I tried the door, 50lb of beast made it to the door with the classic 45 degrees spread of the front legs. [HI]No bark, no warning.[/HI]

silent assasin:ROFLMAO:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Ihave 2 badly behaved Irish setters.....( I blame the owners...:Blush: )and 1 sweet yorkie...In the summer months when i have the awning out I take a dog crate and they sleep in the awning....My girls are 6 this year and are just beginning to calm down....but....when we are away in the MH....new smells etc...they just can't help themselves.. They also travel on the dinette bed which I put down for them (seatbelt harnesses on) and they are as good as gold.

Shirl

My two girls are roughly the same age but I find if they do some colouring or read a book they're fine ,never had to put the bed down or put them in a harness.Seems to me you take better care of your dogs!:ROFLMAO:
Vlad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back