Jan 12, 2013
86290 Les Grandes Hérolles, Coulonges, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp 655 GT
Exp
we are newbies
Morning all from a very snowy Hertfordshire:0(
I have , and so does Lyssa , a C1 and C1E driving licence. This as I understand it allows us to drive a vehicle up to 3.5 ton ??? What about the payload , does that get included in the 3.5 ton or on top of it ???
S&L

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, C1 is 7.5T.

The payload limit is set by the vehicle not by the license. You need to look at the plate to find this out. With a 3.5T van you will be limited to 3.5T including all payload.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
More involved. It is likely that a twin axle motorhome will have a higher payload (and MAM) than one with a single rear axle. But often the additional MAM is used up in carrying a heavier body so the payload may not be as good as one might think. (On that point and to answer an earlier question, the MAM of 3.5, or up to 7.5 tonnes INCLUDES the payload.)
An alternative to the twin axle option is a twin wheeled axle at the rear. Twin axles are generally used with front wheel drive chassis and twin wheeled axles with rear wheel drive chassis. The often used term 'tag axle' actually refers to a non-driven rear axle behind a driven rear axle: often seen on coaches and refuse trucks but never, so far as I'm aware, on a European motorhome.
Many twin wheeled (as opposed to twin axled) RWD motorhomes have significant payloads. These are found on Merc Sprinter, Iveco Daily and some Ford Transit bases.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Yes, C1 is 7.5T.

The payload limit is set by the vehicle not by the license. You need to look at the plate to find this out. With a 3.5T van you will be limited to 3.5T including all payload.

The 3.5 tonne limit in this case is the overall gross weight of the vehicle and therefore includes everything.

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
More involved. It is likely that a twin axle motorhome will have a higher payload (and MAM) than one with a single rear axle. But often the additional MAM is used up in carrying a heavier body so the payload may not be as good as one might think. (On that point and to answer an earlier question, the MAM of 3.5, or up to 7.5 tonnes INCLUDES the payload.)
An alternative to the twin axle option is a twin wheeled axle at the rear. Twin axles are generally used with front wheel drive chassis and twin wheeled axles with rear wheel drive chassis. The often used term 'tag axle' actually refers to a non-driven rear axle behind a driven rear axle: often seen on coaches and refuse trucks but never, so far as I'm aware, on a European motorhome.
Many twin wheeled (as opposed to twin axled) RWD motorhomes have significant payloads. These are found on Merc Sprinter, Iveco Daily and some Ford Transit bases.

Can't quote details but I saw a picture in a m/h mag of a tag axle leading axle driven Mercedes Hymer A class which would have been rear wheel drive.I think as I remember the picture of the model it would have been circa 1991 possibly an S700.If I am right,it would have been a rare beast indeed.It would be interesting to know how many were made.
Over to you
Bruce.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You are correct - I had forgotten that very rare beast the true tag-axled S750. Here it is.

Attachments

• S700 True Tag.JPG
    S700 True Tag.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
You are correct - I had forgotten that very rare beast the true tag-axled S700. Here it is.

Well there we are!! Good memory but looks like possibly pre 1991. Where did the pic come from? Looks a lovely van,I wish I could own one like it now.all that remains now is how many were made and is there any remaining.I bet the payload was big!

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I found the picture on ebay for a sale that is now ended. On checking back, I see that it is listed as an S750 from 1987: 2.9 litre automatic gearbox.
Link Removed

I've just done a quick search and found this 750 that someone wants to swap. Looks like a major restoration project.
Link Removed

Apologies to original poster as this has drifted off your topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
I found the picture on ebay for a sale that is now ended. On checking back, I see that it is listed as an S750 from 1987: 2.9 litre automatic gearbox.
Link Removed

I've just done a quick search and found this 750 that someone wants to swap. Looks like a major restoration project.
Link Removed

Apologies to original poster as this has drifted off your topic.

I did mention "payload" to head us back in that direction,Also the tag axle so maybe we didn't drift off that far. I think,me being the greedy selfish type,I would like one in as new condition with all the goodies already fitted for about £2000.My apologies also to the original poster,i think it could have been me who led us in the wrong direction

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back