Mar 24, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi all.

having just sold my caravan i am about launch myself in to the motorhome world. i have thought long and hard about what i need from my MH and i have come up with this list:-

- minimum 4 berth
- 4 travelling seats
- u shaped lounge
- under 7m if poss.
- under £30k

i would expect anything i find that has the above to also have enough spec (awning etc.) so i won't list everything.

having scoured the websites for motorhomes that have all of the features i need i have come up with the autotrail scout. it does everything i want but it is a touch on the big side. i plan to tour around the country and also have a crack at wild camping. with this in mind i need to ask:-

- is the scout going to be too big?
- has anyone any experience with the scout? what's your oppinion?
- can anyone suggest alternative?

i would appreciate any help you guys can give.

:thanks2: in advance

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome to fun:thumb:, can't help to much with your choice of layout, but all I will say is keep an open mind and maybe hire one like we did, we had thought we would like a u shaped but after hiring one we ended up buying something totally different and we love it. Also worth doing a few shows to have a look at all the different layouts in one place:thumb:

Good luck and happy travels :Smile:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Motorhome Choice

You pays your money and makes your choice! Trouble is there is a confusing amount of options out there. Teri and I spent 4 years looking, in and out of motorhomes up and down the country. Bit by bit we began to understand what we wanted and each trip searching we learned something new. I always said that when we were in a position to buy the right motorhome would find us! I think it did, but time will tell. If you can hire out a van and give it a try. Good luck with your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We have just bought our first motorhome and it looks about the same size as yours. My husband's initial thought was that it was too big and was adamant we should get something smaller but I wanted an internal garage to store our bikes and room to move with falling over each other. He went for a test drive with some trepidation and within 5 minutes it was like he was driving a car. He is now delighted that we bought it and is looking forward to our first trip on Thursday to France and Belgium. :thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have found that whatever you buy, it is never big enough. Just personal. And also, there are times when you wish you had bought something different. Try, try, and try again.

Craig

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun.

Jim has a great motorhome buying guide worth every penny. I am sure someone will post a link to it (sorry I cant find it).

Have you thought about hiring one for a weekend to try it out?

That way if it doesnt suit you, you have only wasted a small amount of money compared to thousands.

I am not the smallest of people and U shaped lounges are deceiving (sorry manufacturers).

Some are smaller than others so when looking a motorhomes test out the bed. Turn the U shape into a double bed and lay on it.

Ovens too can be different sizes so if you are likely to cook a roast in it, take a large chicken with you and see if it will fit in (yes I am being serious).

Make sure you check it for any signs of damp.

We went from a small 17ft to a 26ft and I wouldnt return to the smaller size given the option.

If you arent in a rush you have Peterborough Motorhome Shop and Shepton Mallet both coming up. Take yourself along and browse the many layouts and vehicles.

If you are looking at the scout have a look at the lunar roadstar 726. Fixed bed and spacious lounge and similar length.

Whichever one you buy contact Eddie Vanbitz and get an alarm and tracker installed as it will severely reduce your insurance premiums xxxxx

Kontiki used to do a rear lounge as did Eldiss in their autoquest range.

Have you seen this elddis on ebay? Might be worth a look.

Link Removed

Good luck with your search

OP
OP
mattastik

mattastik

Free Member
Mar 24, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
thanks to you early reply guys!

i have wondered about hiring something similar in size to what i want as you have suggested. i guess this would help me decide if the size was right.

the annoying thing is that all the smaller 4 berth vans that have a u shaped lounge don't have4 travelling seats. what's the point in having 4 berths but only having seat belts for the driver and passenger?! :Confused:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
And then there are the boring but important items: payload and winterisation, depending on how you plan to use your van. :Smile:

Oct 30, 2011
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Exp
Since 2012
Hi and welcome!

We nearly bought a u shaped lounge as they give great lounging about space but then we listed the things we would take on a trip: bikes, chairs, sun lounger, table, barbi, aquaroll, hosepipe, inflatable canoe, fishing tackle etc - and thats just the two of us!

So we opted for van with a big guarage - and its always full - especially on the way back from France glug glug!

Have fun an take time chosing.

Brian and Dawn.::bigsmile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The scout or even the Apache 700 will fit your needs except the length.
You will find them just a little over the 7mtr length but not by much.

The 700 is the same layout just a slightly lower spec. Good family vans and lots of room for a couple... We are now on our second 700 and previous had the scout. Any questions just ask..

Remember these vans are over 3500kg so check you have a license to covers that.

this is over your budget BUT looks a great deal as £53k new !!

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to Fun, you have started off on the right foot by joining here and asking questions, better to ask them now than when youve spent your 30K.

I would suuggest as others have said look at loads maybe pop along to a show even if it is new ones it will give yo an idea of what you want, dont be afraid to try the beds just for lying down mind :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Once you see the layout you want ask if you can spend an 1/2 hour or so in it do things like stand in shower make sure you fit as youd be surpirsed. Sit as if your watching TV can you all see it sitting comfy.

We went to a show 18months ago and seen a new Adria and did all the above and when we where ready to change we knew this was the van for us so found one and bought it.

OP
OP
mattastik

mattastik

Free Member
Mar 24, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The scout or even the Apache 700 will fit your needs except the length.
You will find them just a little over the 7mtr length but not by much.

The 700 is the same layout just a slightly lower spec. Good family vans and lots of room for a couple... We are now on our second 700 and previous had the scout. Any questions just ask..

Remember these vans are over 3500kg so check you have a license to covers that.

this is over your budget BUT looks a great deal as £53k new !!

wow! I love the look of this MH. it is slightly over budget so I will have to convince my accountant/wife but, as you say, it is a great saving on new. what do you think of autotrail as a make?

OP
OP
mattastik

mattastik

Free Member
Mar 24, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi and welcome to fun.

Jim has a great motorhome buying guide worth every penny. I am sure someone will post a link to it (sorry I cant find it).

Have you thought about hiring one for a weekend to try it out?

That way if it doesnt suit you, you have only wasted a small amount of money compared to thousands.

I am not the smallest of people and U shaped lounges are deceiving (sorry manufacturers).

Some are smaller than others so when looking a motorhomes test out the bed. Turn the U shape into a double bed and lay on it.

Ovens too can be different sizes so if you are likely to cook a roast in it, take a large chicken with you and see if it will fit in (yes I am being serious).

Make sure you check it for any signs of damp.

We went from a small 17ft to a 26ft and I wouldnt return to the smaller size given the option.

If you arent in a rush you have Peterborough Motorhome Shop and Shepton Mallet both coming up. Take yourself along and browse the many layouts and vehicles.

If you are looking at the scout have a look at the lunar roadstar 726. Fixed bed and spacious lounge and similar length.

Whichever one you buy contact Eddie Vanbitz and get an alarm and tracker installed as it will severely reduce your insurance premiums xxxxx

Kontiki used to do a rear lounge as did Eldiss in their autoquest range.

Have you seen this elddis on ebay? Might be worth a look.

Link Removed

Good luck with your search

I had looked at a couple of autoquest models as they seem to offer what I want. they only thing that put me off was the make and I don't really know why. would I be ok with an elddis? would anybody give advice for or against?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
wow! I love the look of this MH. it is slightly over budget so I will have to convince my accountant/wife but, as you say, it is a great saving on new. what do you think of autotrail as a make?

Autotrail are a well liked and popular British make.
Like almost all motorhomes there are some stories, even my new 2012 apache 700 has a few issues but generally a good van. Even £100k new vans have had tales of problems..

This was just an example, there are many older vans, so like others say shop around. Dont rush and take your time. I only highlighted this one as its 2012 and some dealer want £35k for vans that are 3 or 4 years older..

Our previous van was the same apache 700 but a 2005. Great solid van we bought used at 2 years ols and kept for 5 years. This layout is our preference but others have different needs ie like fixed beds...

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
thanks to you early reply guys!

i have wondered about hiring something similar in size to what i want as you have suggested. i guess this would help me decide if the size was right.

the annoying thing is that all the smaller 4 berth vans that have a u shaped lounge don't have4 travelling seats. what's the point in having 4 berths but only having seat belts for the driver and passenger?! :Confused:

It is all about compromise, you will find this with every vehicle. U shape lounge seems very nice, but limits access to oven as the kitchen is opposite the loo door, but gives a nice space at the back if you don't mind interlocking legs an lacks belts (some are fitted but are not suitable)

The dinette with end kitchen gives safe a spacious access to the oven, 4 forward facing belted seats and two rearward if you take friends out. But the dinette will be smaller in space, but does have side seating. Seems more spacious as their is no loo half way down the van, but you have no rear of the van to sit at.

A large van will get over this, but then there is the parking, storage and if it has a garage, heat loss in winter. There is also higher costs associated with recovery. Weights may also vary in load and towing. Smaller vans are easier to park, can squeeze on standard recovery (makes a difference when you wait 3 hours and the truck that arrives is the wrong size) the wieghts are often a little better - but the interior space is a little less, so means finding a spacious layout for that size.

All compromise - they have good and bad points - you WILL have to compromise on something as no one van will be perfect for you - and if it is, it won't be for long!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
The Autotrail Apache has a near identical layout but a few quid cheaper.I use mine and wildcamp with no problem.Seperate shower cubical,so much better than wet room.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Considering buying a motorhome needs some very serious planning, after deciding on the layout you will need to choose a well manufactured one that has the best customer after sales support that you can turn to in confidence knowing that some one is there to help you in case you get any problems. Auto-trail probably are the leaders here because they have a service centre next to the factory and also a direct line if you want to order any spare parts, without having to go through a dealer. I have owned three AT's and yes I have had one or two problems but they have been resolved very professionally. When my annual habitation checks are due they are done at the factory so that if anything shows up it is put right by staff who are highly skilled and I have piece of mind. You need to book well in advance as they can be quite busy.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have just bought a Scout. Only had it a day but it seems perfect for us.

It's closer to 8m than 7 though.

It is very spacious compared to our old van which had a fixed bed.

OP
OP
mattastik

mattastik

Free Member
Mar 24, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The Autotrail Apache has a near identical layout but a few quid cheaper.I use mine and wildcamp with no problem.Seperate shower cubical,so much better than wet room.

good to hear you wildcamp in your without any problems as this is one thing we are wanting to do. this is why is have been nervous about getting anything too big. i'll have a look at the apache. thanks:thumb:

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi

We had a non lounge at he back van for a few years, then when the kids came along we needed something a bit bigger.

We can spend anything up to a month away at a time being without the rear lounge would be awful, its the living room and where we chill out at night. I think if we didn't have it I would get cabin fever.

13 years old, but bullet proof, and fully loaded!

But many are right there are compromises.

Last edited:

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi

We had a non lounge at he back van for a few years, then when the kids came along we needed something a bit bigger.

We can spend anything up to a month away at a time being without the rear lounge would be awful, its the living room and where we chill out at night. I think if we didn't have it I would get cabin fever.

13 years old, but bullet proof, and fully loaded!

But many are right there are compromises.

23wjsb9.jpg

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
The word of the day is COMPROMISE, we bought a 20 year old hymer for £6k, our first van, kept it a year to see what we wanted and what we didnt, we then sold it (for a profit, nice) and bought an autotrail cheyenne 03 plate on a merc chassis for £25k, we only really ever wild camp.

Go to a lot of shows and look at lots of vans, dont worry too much about the make at the minute, find the layout that you like then find that layout in a make that you want. After all layout is everything. We aso have three dogs that come with us, so refer to my first

COMPROMISE

When your ready to buy get hold of somebody who knows what they are talking about and who also can be the the voice of reason. We went to the stratford show and then kidnapped haganap to help us.

Good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back