How long does it take you to set up ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Arrived on site last night about 18:40. On pitch,ehu, tv aerial,silver screen on, tea in oven and wine open before 18:50. Today, watched a tugger pull up. After an hour they got in their car and headed off. They have ehu, water,waste but after several attempts to level they are still at quite an angle. I did gesture that I could assist but it was declined. Couple of hours ago a MH turns up, pulls on to the pitch behind us. They are still faffing about. First they did ehu, then after 30 minutes decided to level off, then he got out a long hose only to find it was about 6 feet short of the tap. So they started again. Disconnect everything, drove to the service point. They have returned now and driven on to the pitch the other way so they are starting to level off again................... Makes it look like hard work.........

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
plug in the ehu open the fridge get out the booze job done :ROFLMAO:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Arrived on site last night about 18:40. On pitch,ehu, tv aerial,silver screen on, tea in oven and wine open before 18:50. Today, watched a tugger pull up. After an hour they got in their car and headed off. They have ehu, water,waste but after several attempts to level they are still at quite an angle. I did gesture that I could assist but it was declined. Couple of hours ago a MH turns up, pulls on to the pitch behind us. They are still faffing about. First they did ehu, then after 30 minutes decided to level off, then he got out a long hose only to find it was about 6 feet short of the tap. So they started again. Disconnect everything, drove to the service point. They have returned now and driven on to the pitch the other way so they are starting to level off again................... Makes it look like hard work.........

It never ceases to amaze me how some motorhomers make the job last so long.
Us, like you, spend minutes and then relax and enjoy. If it wasn't for the people like your neighbour we wouldn't have a cabaret. I have always assumed these people who take ages in a motorhome are ex caravanners who cannot accept it only takes a few minutes.
I hope you enjoy your stay. We are blocked in with snow where I live on top of te hills near Durham.
Wilf

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
Park

If its not raining! plug in the EHU sit in van and giggle at tuggers and canvas erectors

If its really not level stick the ramps on the floor at suitable spacings and drive on....

Usually takes longer for some people to reverse into the space!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Plug EHU in. Done. I never ever bother to level.

The only job I need to do if on a site is take the computer keyboard out of the cupboard and plug it in and stick the directional wifi antenna to the outside of the van.

As a fulltimer I always fill up with water before leaving a site. I know it sounds odd to be driving with a full water tank but finding the water cut off at your destination is a lot more of a nuisance than losing .05mpg... Because of this when I get to a new pitch I am already full water, gas etc. Tanks and toilet get emptied at every opportunity and are usually empty before i get to a site.

So literally just park, EHU cable and site down.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

Love your dog.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Couple of hours ago a MH turns up, pulls on to the pitch behind us. They are still faffing about. First they did ehu, then after 30 minutes decided to level off, then he got out a long hose only to find it was about 6 feet short of the tap. So they started again. Disconnect everything, drove to the service point. They have returned now and driven on to the pitch the other way so they are starting to level off again................... Makes it look like hard work.........

But perhaps they are newbies on their first time out? Funsters of the future? :Smile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Level up (if required)

Fridge to gas

Uncork wine

When we had a trailer tent it used to take me 3 hours.

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
Same procedure every time. Travel with full water and empty waste and the bed fully made. Park, plug in ehu, wife puts water in coffee machine and gets the table out, level with the air suspension. Plug tv in and raise aerial. Coffee drunk and resting within 5 minutes of arriving.

As soon as it starts raining I realise I haven't turned the gas on. Every time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
takes me ages.:Doh:

just get started then theres always someone coming over for a natter. :RollEyes:

... that'll probably be my hubby leaving me to sort the van out and put the awning up! Same thing happens when we're getting ready to depart, he starts off helping then after a minute or so gets 'distracted' and ends up nattering whilst I do all the bl**dy work ... just like today when we were trying to get sorted to move the van to the hardstanding, once he'd helped pull the pegs and poles out of the awning he was off nattering .... :Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
this is such a difficult question, I have never timed how long it takes to turn off the ignition and turn on the TV, setting up the sat dish approx. 1 min:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I bet it was one of you smug lot that pitched up near me at New Quay last year... :winky:

...pretty quick sorting the van out...

...then put the table outside and sat in plain view, with their drinks, looking pleased with themselves...

...when in fact they looked like a couple of plonkers, because it was blowing a gale and cloudy. I reckon the smiles had frozen on their faces :RollEyes:

(For the record....it takes me about 10 minutes, but if I have to set up the utility tent all bets are off :Blush:)

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If on site first think I do is level the van best I can then plug in ehu put kettle on and fridge to mains and while kettle boils get the telly on. While doing this Sophie normally walks the dog.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Takes me approximately 15 seconds. Handbrake on (actually footbrake). Walk round to fridge, turn off 12V, ignite gas. Get into shower. The hot water runs off the engine coolant. It's nice to have hot water available on arrival...

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
About 5 mins. That's all. Unless i am fitting the safari room, then an hour or more! Sodding thing! Hence if we are stationary for less than a week, it don't go up!

Craig

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Many years ago (tugging), I pulled alongside a guy heading off for a shower.
I had a spring loaded awning and it was up and sorted by the time he got back. He just couldn't help looking in disbelief.

Last year during the Jubilee celebrations, (now with MH) I was entertained by 2 cars arriving. Mum had 2 children in a Fiesta and dad had the tent etc. in the back of an estate car.
The tent was quite big, one of those 3 pod jobs, (have you noticed how big they have become?). He, like others had not thought to practise in the garden first. Kept us amused for a while. We went out and on my return he had put his guy ropes into my pitch, he then had the audacity to watch me reverse in (back onto the already placed levelling blocks) and her inconsiderately parked/abandoned Fiesta didn't help.

My also patriotic friend and I, had offered to help a late-comer, he told us no thanks but a very tired and jaded wife with 2 kids made it clear he would accept our help or he could pack up and take them home!

Attachments

• P1060305.jpg
    P1060305.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 72

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +

THAT is EXACTLY the reason I ended up Motorhoming, I used to have a caravan, one particular night we pulled up and nothing went right and it ended up taking me about 45 minutes just to get things sorted, in the meantime a camper pulled up a few yards from me and within minutes were sat outside drinking, I said to wife "Never again" we called in Belguim on way home and bought a Hymer B774 and been doing it ever since.

Now, pull up push button for levelling, plug electrics in "If needed" and chairs out "If weather" usually within 5 minutes all sorted. :RollEyes:

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Many years ago (tugging), I pulled alongside a guy heading off for a shower.
I had a spring loaded awning and it was up and sorted by the time he got back. He just couldn't help looking in disbelief.

Last year during the Jubilee celebrations, (now with MH) I was entertained by 2 cars arriving. Mum had 2 children in a Fiesta and dad had the tent etc. in the back of an estate car.
The tent was quite big, one of those 3 pod jobs, (have you noticed how big they have become?). He, like others had not thought to practise in the garden first. Kept us amused for a while. We went out and on my return he had put his guy ropes into my pitch, he then had the audacity to watch me reverse in (back onto the already placed levelling blocks) and her inconsiderately parked/abandoned Fiesta didn't help.

My also patriotic friend and I, had offered to help a late-comer, he told us no thanks but a very tired and jaded wife with 2 kids made it clear he would accept our help or he could pack up and take them home!
by the looks of it your friend is not welsh :thumb:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Arrived today at Kenitra N Morocco after a bit of a trek from Marrakech. The site is heaving with French so the Guardien told us to park in front of a row of vans. I didn't even bother looking for an EHU as they will all be used up. So, handbrake on, engine off, swivel seats, open fridge, pour beer. Done!
Oh and then a Frenchman knocks to say we are blocking him in and is leaving at 8 am "Pas de problem" I say "Nous Departons a huit heiress Aussie. Bon unit"
Sorted.
He might be knocking on the door a while though - we don't normally get up til 8:30

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Same procedure every time. Travel with full water and empty waste and the bed fully made. Park, plug in ehu, wife puts water in coffee machine and gets the table out, level with the air suspension. Plug tv in and raise aerial. Coffee drunk and resting within 5 minutes of arriving.

As soon as it starts raining I realise I haven't turned the gas on. Every time.

simple answer to that one is store the hook-up cable in the gas locker.
park up open gas locker to get hook up cable out - turn on gas bottle.
open gas locker to put hook up cable away - turn off gas bottle

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
how long does it take to set up.

How long? No laptop or computer, no sat. dish, no antenna, no wifi, no booze. Just swivel the seats, feet up, books out, c.d on,nice cup of coffee,enjoy the views,fixed bed already. How long ? As long as we leisurely want. Yokel(yawn)John.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Choose spot, handbrake on - that's it.... everything's ready... :Smile:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Depends on how long we are staying. Gas on, electric hook up 5 minutes. If the awning is coming out obviously longer

Lin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back