Mar 23, 2013
australia
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet in uk
Exp
since 2000 in oz
Hi Our names are Trev and Barb
We live in our motorhome full time and have done so since 2000.

We are visiting the Uk in May 2013 and hope to buy a small
motorhome to travel around in for three months. Then either sell
it or export it back to Australia.

Over here we free camp as much as possible but have read that that
is not aloud over in the uk.

We are very much looking forward to visiting the uk.:thumb:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
A Warm Welcome from us up here in Sweden, and enjoy ya European travels Alf:thumb:

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Advice from another Aussie

Hi guys, I'm on my way to the UK in a few weeks to pick up a campervan that I've bought. Can't give you a lot of advice re free camping in the UK - I'm heading straight to Europe but can advise you to check out insurance before you finalise your plans to buy. I've had a lot of "fun" trying to find a company to insure me. Let me know how you get on....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi, hope you enjoy your travels, and as far as i am aware, freecamping is allowed, it just depends where. Have a great time!

Craig

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Welcome to fun Trev and Barb,Get over here to Ireland when you get your motorhome plenty of wild camping from Donagal to Kerry.You will love the place scenery and warm friendly people you might have to take a chance on the weather but the guiness will make up for it:ROFLMAO:good luck Presto

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi and welcome Trev and Barb:welcomefunster: to the site:thumb:, probably the best site you can have for motor homing in UK and Europe, as so much info on here, and there is no law against wild camping but just not a lot of spare room here to wild camp on, but there is plenty of help and info on here about everything motor homing from start to finish. Pay your £10 subscription fee and you will have unlimited info from the members on here. Sorry i cannot give you much info but plenty of info here just ask no matter how simple it may seem to others may be a big deal to you like the insurance that ponyboy has had trouble with, but i am sure he will tell you all about it, and this is exactly what you need from the members on here, all the best on your journey and look forward to all your questions that will be forthcoming from you, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Welcome to the UK in May. You should join "britstops" you can stop for free but only for a couple of nights, pubs, farms, etc. £ 29 for the year.
Scotland allows freecamping as well. Have a great time.
Phil and Gill

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If your going to buy over here be very careful as a lot scams going on
If you see see something post it on here someone will comment on it it good or bad don't part with any cash till you see and check the van
Don't want to be negative just don't want see you get ripped off
Have a great time I have met lots of Aussie people over here and normally the love the Uk and Ireland oops forgot Wales

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Before you buy a van in the UK, check out what import restictions there are in Australia as imports are prohibitively expensive and the update to OZ specs are horrific.

A one off privately owned used one maybe permitted but commercial imports are very restricted, if they were not I would be active in exporting them to Australia as vans there are over double the UK price.

An old friend of mine imports used carvans which are permitted but he has to do quite a lot of modifications to satisfy the Oz specs.

Australia is a lot different to New Zealand who are a lot easier to deal with as we have supplied several new vans to Kiwis in the past.

Be careful with firms offering sale and buy back schemes as they can be a wrip off, also the ebay, preloved and gumtree scammers. DONT PART WITH MONEY UNLESS YOU PHYSICALLY HAVE THE VAN IN FRONT OF YOU and have done HPI checks.

As said by others, post on Fun any potential buys for good advice and if you havent Link Removed here, a tenner could save you £1000's

Good Luck

Peter

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
BritStops

For "wild" camping in UK Google "BritStops" and you can purchase the book for £25 I believe.
Try pub car parks but clear it with the Landlord first. He will expect you to have a meal or at least some drinks etc. I'm sure you will enjoy UK

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, as for wild camping or free camping you will be fine if your sensible about it loads of pubs will let you stay the night if you have a couple of drinks. If your worried about it why not join the caravan club or caravan and camping club they both have a vast net work of small sites called cl and cs, these are normally on farms and can cost anywhere from £5 - £20 a night at. Least this way you would not be worried about disturbance or getting moved on.

Up here in Scotland there are loads of places to free camp.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Pete from John Cross Motors has given you the fair dinkum mate! Don't part with any dosh till you are actually in front of the bloody thing, check the paperwork and do a HP Check

spend your ten quid, it's a bloody bargain!

gm112

Free Member
Mar 24, 2013
australia
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
new to it
buying a camper

Hi Our names are Trev and Barb
We live in our motorhome full time and have done so since 2000.

We are visiting the Uk in May 2013 and hope to buy a small
motorhome to travel around in for three months. Then either sell
it or export it back to Australia.

Over here we free camp as much as possible but have read that that
is not aloud over in the uk.

We are very much looking forward to visiting the uk.:thumb:

Hi Trev and Barb,
We are in Tuscany at the moment from Australia and are planning on buying another camping car in Europe,we have bought one before but we have had to put it in my husbands cousins name as we can not buy it in ours as we have not got a permenant address here so l was wandering how you can as it would be good to get it in our own names or if anyone else can give us some advice thank you enjoy your travel:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun. Insurance is your biggest problem, get that sorted, UK companies are unlikely to insure you without a permanant Uk address, it has been done before, subscribe and you can do a full search of the archives. I'm sure there is an australian company that covers it, maybe someone else can remember the details. Just remember to keep your hand on your halfpenny, sorry wallet.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: until you have the van in front of you with full HPI checks, no delivered to your door or whatever.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back