Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
There has been a small female cat, obviously up the duff, floating around these parts.

She must have been desperate yesterday whilst I was out as she has had the kittens in my awning. I heard a little mewing noise and I can just see her back, in the corner behind a shelf.

I haven't disturbed her, but I will have to do some thing soon.

So now what do I do? Any sensible suggestions will be gratefully received.

I should point out that I'm on a camp site in Spain, oh and it's raining again.:Sad:

Pete:Cool:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Well they missed lunch

Its 6.30pm, soon to be dinner time - so they must be hungry :thumb:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
put a bowl of milk out for her - as near as possible to her - she will leave the kittens and come and get it when no one is around

Generally speaking cats shouldn't drink milk. Most cats are lactose intolerant & drinking milk may result in an upset tummy & cause diarrhoea.

Nutritionally it is not necessary to give your cat milk. A bowl of water is adequate. Not all cats are lactose intolerant and a little milk as a treat is fine, however, the only real way to find out if your cat is lactose intolerant is to try it on a bowl of milk & see if it causes diarrhoea. If you find your cat is okay with cow's milk then the occasional bowl is fine, but this should be given as a treat only.

However, it is of great importance that you do not give a kitten cow's milk. The best possible milk is of course from the kitten's own mother.

Fresh water should always be available for the cat.

Good luck "Dad"........:thumb: though

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Thanks for the replies. I did know about milk and cats but thanks for reminding me.

I did manage to get a look at the 4 kittens about an hour ago when she left them, I assume to find food, and they are all different colours.
I now feel responsible for them as they have managed to get this far in what is quite a hostile environment.
Left a bowl with tinned Tuna close to the kittens, which mum has eaten.

I do know that if she feels threatened she will move them and to be honest I would prefer she didn't as with me they have a reasonable chance of survival. When they are weaned they will get kicked out, but I'll do my best to help till then.

Means I can't move for the next 4 weeks or so.

If I get a chance to take a photo, I will post it,

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you don't need to do anything unless you are about to move, if you do move I can see the headlines now

Itinerant Pete turns nursing mother out on the street. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Mum cat will need plenty of food as she has to produce milk to feed her kittens as well as keep her own bodyweight up. As Callum says, best to skip giving her milk to drink. Unless you have to move, leave her peacefully with her kittens and please do not attempt to handle them. Strange scent on them could cause her to abandon them - and then you will be left with the much harder task of having to bottle feed them (well, pipette feed them). I used to foster for the Cats Protection League and have been there! :Smile:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Mum cat will need plenty of food as she has to produce milk to feed her kittens as well as keep her own bodyweight up. As Callum says, best to skip giving her milk to drink. Unless you have to move, leave her peacefully with her kittens and please do not attempt to handle them. Strange scent on them could cause her to abandon them - and then you will be left with the much harder task of having to bottle feed them (well, pipette feed them). I used to foster for the Cats Protection League and have been there! :Smile:

Advice on what to feed mum would not go amiss.

I have a couple of cans of Tuna, but I will need to go to town tomorrow, so what should I get?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

I have a couple of cans of Tuna, but I will need to go to town tomorrow, so what should I get?

I love the fact that you are prepared to stay on site longer to help this cat, not everyone would. I would say the food needs to be quite simple as she will not be used to rich tinned cat food. Maybe stick to tinned fish in oil or cheap cat food, or chicken scraps, even your cooked veg left overs will probably be eaten. As long as the food is not salt loaded or spicy, anything you are eating should be ok.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

As good a quality cat food as you can find would be nice. Good quality cat foods have higher levels of protein which is what she needs right now. :Smile:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
As she is probably a wild cat

I suspect a couple each of sparrows, mice and lizards would not go amiss.
::bigsmile::thumb::Eeek:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I suspect a couple each of sparrows, mice and lizards would not go amiss.
::bigsmile::thumb::Eeek:

I don't know about wild, but I imagine that if I were to get too close to her babies, she would be somewhat annoyed.:RollEyes:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sounds like a lucky little cat to me, really looking forward to any pictures as they start growing, :Smile:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
As good a quality cat food as you can find would be nice. Good quality cat foods have higher levels of protein which is what she needs right now. :Smile:

Looks like a trip to Iceland (Supermarket for you clever folk) and a few tins of Whiskers.:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
congratulations,

dont supose you have a web cam handy...would make a great documentery

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
A photo for you. Taken on my smart phone.

They are quite difficult to get too without moving things out. I don't want to do that and disturb them, so it's a bit blurred.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
There has been a development. The mother has carried one away to the pitch opposite, and into their utility tent.

The owners are away, but due back soon and they have 2 small dogs that hate cats and who have escaped once or twice causing havoc among the cat population.

Last time they got out, there were more cats up trees than you could shake a stick at.

So not a great choice but she doesn't know it, yet.

She hasn't been back for the other 3 so far and she took the first one over an hour ago.

We'll just have to wait and see.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The only trouble with feeding a stray is, she will get dependant. The problem then is she will approach other campers and become a nuisance which could be curtains for her. I say nothing against supplementing her own hunting efforts, that would be OK - but not replacing her efforts entirely.

The other thing that strikes me is - do you think she is removing the litter because of your intervention, Pete? like oops, best move outta here - he's a threat?

If she doesn't come back for the other 2 when you get back - is it a sign there's summat up with them and she's only taken the strongest - or indeed vice versa? Tricky .....

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Peter, you're a good man and have brightened my day...:Smile:
Hope this doesn't turn into "Springwatch" drama though, could be too much for me.:Sad:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
The only trouble with feeding a stray is, she will get dependant. The problem then is she will approach other campers and become a nuisance which could be curtains for her. I say nothing against supplementing her own hunting efforts, that would be OK - but not replacing her efforts entirely.

The other thing that strikes me is - do you think she is removing the litter because of your intervention, Pete? like oops, best move outta here - he's a threat?

If she doesn't come back for the other 2 when you get back - is it a sign there's summat up with them and she's only taken the strongest - or indeed vice versa? Tricky .....

Got back from town and the 3 are still there. I have seen mum come in to the awning since I got back, so I'm sat in the van and will give her plenty of time to make her mind up.
A Dutch friend came to have a look earlier and got a bit too close as she swore and spat at him. Maybe that's why she is moving on.
It's been raining all day so maybe she was waiting for things to improve before she moved the rest.

You are right of course about feeding Feral cats, and the danger of them becoming dependant, which is OK if you are here permanent, but I'm not.

I'm not sure I can take all this responsibility at my age.:cry:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
It's not looking good.

She has moved at least 2 of them.

I accidentally disturbed mum, when I went out the van to cook a meal, I think she was coming in to remove another. Well I have to eat don't I?

I haven't been out there since just in case I disturb her again,so I don't know how many are left.

I can hear at least one of them crying and it's heartbreaking to hear it, but if there is to be any chance of her collecting more, then I have to stay out of the way.

To make matters worse it's bucketing it down at the moment.

I think this may have a sad ending, but fingers and everything else is crossed.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
my wife used to live on a dairy farm, she is well versed with wild cats, and has told me to advise you not to get attached, they are wild animals and will do as they will do.

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
my wife used to live on a dairy farm, she is well versed with wild cats, and has told me to advise you not to get attached, they are wild animals and will do as they will do.

Good advice.

The mother finally came for the last kitten at around midnight, quite why she took so long is a mystery.:whatthe:

Anyway they are all away and hopefully doing well, though I've no plans to visit.:roflmto:

Next year I'll make sure my awning is cat proof.:thumb:

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Help the mum by bottle feeding the kittens every 2 hours.

Take to the vets to get them checked, and keep them for the next 17 years incurring further vet bills along the way.

That is what we did anyway with the 3 we had.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back