Leisure Batteries - which one? (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My leisure battery has died - well, 6 years is probably classed as a good life.

Having a 'google' for prices/suppliers of a new one, I'm a bit bewildered by all the different types available.

The one that I have is 70ah.

Does a 100ah one last longer etc?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi the number is the number of amps per hour, so 70amp/hr battery will run a 1 amp light for 70 hours. Therefore the higher the number the greater the capacity. 120 amp/hr is the best.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
You might be governed by the size of your battery box-so measure that and make sure that any battery you consider will fit !! ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It is generally excepted that £ per amp normal lead acid truck type batteries give better value than leisure type batteries. So you may care to give the battery type some thought.

Doug...

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Even more important is to decide what you need it for. If you always use electric hook-up it seems pointless buying a larger battery. The main advantage of extra battery capacity is to allow you to survive longer when free camping.

If you've managed perfectly well with a 70 amp battery for six years, why spend more money on a larger one?

If however you do free camp a lot, there's no doubt that a larger battery may help you stay a bit longer, but again, if you're moving on every day your battery will be charged anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I try for the basic lead acid , and if humanly possible the ones where you can take off the caps and top up with distilled water

I have tried some sealed ones , then cut the tops off when they gave up ....they were desperately in need of topping up which must have shortened their life

I don't think it is as important for starter batteries if they are sealed as they tend not to get discharged so low

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You recommended Dave Newell to me when I needed one Janine. I suspect he will sell you one too.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
You might be governed by the size of your battery box-so measure that and make sure that any battery you consider will fit !! ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Thanks for all your replies, folks.

Mike - you are absolutely right - the 110ah wouldn't have fitted in the available space (next to the main battery in the engine compartment)

Have bought an 80ah for £80 so the £ per amp rule holds true, Doug.

All set for the B & B next weekend ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry. I'm too late for you now Janine but Frank's Caravans were selling 110 amps for around £60 but this was at the Stratford show.

Last year I bought six of them at Shepton Mallet (3 for me and 3 for Upmarkethippy)... seem alright...

JJ

ciderdrinker

Free Member
Mar 21, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
My leisure battery has died - well, 6 years is probably classed as a good life.

Having a 'google' for prices/suppliers of a new one, I'm a bit bewildered by all the different types available.

The one that I have is 70ah.

Does a 100ah one last longer etc?

Hi, new to this and would like some help please, do you own a vw holdsworth valentine? I do and am looking for a new leisure battery, but am not sure what dimensions of battery will fit, I have measured the tray, then looked for a battery to suit, but could not find one suitable, I was hoping you could help
Thanks

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, new to this and would like some help please, do you own a vw holdsworth valentine? I do and am looking for a new leisure battery, but am not sure what dimensions of battery will fit, I have measured the tray, then looked for a battery to suit, but could not find one suitable, I was hoping you could help
Thanks

Hi it might be worth starting a new thread under the the tech section.

You would hopefully attract better answers to your question.

Welcome and good luck!:thumb:

ciderdrinker

Free Member
Mar 21, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi it might be worth starting a new thread under the the tech section.

You would hopefully attract better answers to your question.

Welcome and good luck!:thumb:

Hi, Thanks for the reply, Janine is going to check the size of her battery tomorrow and let me me know, If that does not resolve my question I will give that a try

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back