Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, I have been looking for a solar panel for my Hymer, I have seen some on ebay for £79 ish for an 80w panel +regulator, does this sound reasonable ? has anyone got one off ebay? The dealer is in Manchester.
Thanks for your response in advance,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Hi, I have been looking for a solar panel for my Hymer, I have seen some on ebay for £79 ish for an 80w panel +regulator, does this sound reasonable ? has anyone got one off ebay? The dealer is in Manchester.
Thanks for your response in advance,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

I've bought a 100w panel off fleabay with proper connecting cables and a 10 amp charge controller. I paid £120. £80 sounds okay to me :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
fit loads thats the best way .we havent had any ehu since leaving uk early november . power 240v fridge ,twintub washers . ideal .80quid is about the price .may find them cheaper if you look harder . toolsdirekt in germany where cheap last year.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I got my 85W panel off eBay 4 years ago and it cost me £300 with discount - they've come down a lot since then, but go for monocrystalline if you can afford it as they're the most efficient.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Haven't bought one as mh had one on it. If buying one I'd recommend you go for a PV one this will last you longer reason I know is we make both the normal and PV film for solar panels and the PV are far superior in all aspects.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Haven't bought one as mh had one on it. If buying one I'd recommend you go for a PV one this will last you longer reason I know is we make both the normal and PV film for solar panels and the PV are far superior in all aspects.

Sorry you have lost me here? PV stands for Photo Voltaic. This means generates electric from light to distinguish from the solar panels that heat water.

Or do you have a different definition for PV? :secret:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
If you are installing yourself make sure you fit nice thick cables, It make's sure your getting all the precious amps generated by your panel are actually getting to your batteries and not disappearing in voltage loss (plenty of dc voltage tables online, enter max panel amps output, thickness of cable, length of cable run and it will tell you how much you will lose, increase cable thickness until voltage loss is less than 3%)
Also when mounting panel on roof ensure it is not overshadowed by skylights/ aerial/ sat dish etc partial shadows can drastically reduce panel output, Fit tilting brackets if poss (about £30 a pair on EBay) can give you a 50% amp output, If poss get solar charge controller with temp compensation don't pay extra for MPPT solar charge controller not worth the extra money on setup of less than 600w :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
If you are installing yourself make sure you fit nice thick cables, It make's sure your getting all the precious amps generated by your panel are actually getting to your batteries and not disappearing in voltage loss (plenty of dc voltage tables online, enter max panel amps output, thickness of cable, length of cable run and it will tell you how much you will lose, increase cable thickness until voltage loss is less than 3%)
Also when mounting panel on roof ensure it is not overshadowed by skylights/ aerial/ sat dish etc partial shadows can drastically reduce panel output, Fit tilting brackets if poss (about £30 a pair on EBay) can give you a 50% amp output, If poss get solar charge controller with temp compensation don't pay extra for MPPT solar charge controller not worth the extra money on setup of less than 600w :thumb:

Thanks for above, I only want one to keep batts topped up when in storage. I,ve just taken them off as they'd gone flat with standing, (not been able to use van since christmas due to doctors/hospital appts). One batt awon't charge, other ok, so will replace the bad one.
Cheers, Daver:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Seeing your requirement to keep the batteries charged when in storage, does this refer to the starter battery as well as the leisure batteries? If so, and assuming your Hymer has a Schaudt Electrobloc which charges both when on hookup, you will get the benefit of both leisure and starter battery charging from a solar panel if you use the Schaudt LRS1218 solar regulator. It is a twin battery regulator that is supplied with a wiring harness to connect straight into the Electrobloc.
Link Broken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back