Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
Thanks for all of your replies, please don,t think I am anti Ci motorhomes,we love our ci, and can,t wait to get it all sorted and back enjoying it again, I am sure I am possibly just an isolated case with thousands of CI,s out there,as with any other 8 year old mh out there with no problems at all ,i am just giving you our own water ingress experience. When we first saw our mh at the dealers in 2004 it was just what we wanted,two swivel cab seats,we pull part of make up bed out and use it as a pouffe, shoes off of course, i can sit at the table and open the fridge and use the grill,lovely comfy bed, lots of storage for my fishing and kayaking gear,we use continually 12 months of the year and is showing very little inside wear. When bought new our dealer added an Fiamma awning and bike rack,omnistor ariel, rear folding ladder,cd player,i bought a large roof rack for my 17ft kayak (which my dealer fitted free) , all for £26000. We have always looked after our financed investment,e.g .oilchanges cam belt change,and consider myself quite vigalante to foresee problems, but i am sorry to say that these leaks,or" water ingresses" have caught me out. I have been almost two months repairing one major leak in all winds and weather on my drive ,back wheels ramped up under a large sheet, and now finding another leak, we just want to get back on the road. so perhaps you can understand why i feel rather bitter towards the ci manufactures for their stupid, costly,avoidable,PENNY PINCHING errors. p.s. by doing it myself I saved the £3000,that was quoted by my dealer ,that was for the rear repair only. When all this is repaired we wont let this stop our future enjoyment of our C.I.Motorhome. yokeljohn.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hope that gets it sorted for you.:thumb: regrettably we had a CI carioca from new 2008, nice enough van but the build quality was awful. the habitation door would not seal and leaked like a sieve even after it took 18 months to get a new door and frame fitted it still leaked. the inner door panel on the new door delaminated. the roof inner panel delaminated at a joint. there was more simple stuff but i wont bore you any more.

nedless to say its gone to a new home. our current van is 12 months old now and has been superb in all respects ( probably should not have said that :Doh: )

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As I've said before, our 2005 Carioca 656 started leaking straight after we bought it new because of a design flaw that situated a join in the roof trim in the one place where standing water collected, then secured it with inadequate fixings. The screws rusted, popped up, and the water came in. The first time we got it done under dealer warranty after a manufacturer recall. It happened again after a year and we got it done by the dealer under an extended warranty, saving around £3000 in the process. That policy more than paid for itself - no wonder the insurance company wouldn't renew it later on.

Last year we had a satellite dish with an internal winder fitted and I spotted water and rust on the winder assembly inside the roof space not long after. The fitter returned to reseal it for nothing but I've not used him since because I saw him trying to fiddle his damp meter check.

This year's hab check has shown more damp above the kitchen lockers, but not round the satellite dish. I think the weight of the dish has made the roof puddle bigger and it's finding it's way in via the roof rack fixings or chimney seal, or maybe through the dodgy trim. Anyway, it's eight years since we bought it and this is the first time we've had to fork out for damp to be fixed so I suppose we should count our blessings. It's not going to cost a vast sum to plug the leak, and I trust the new fitter who's doing the job, but I could really do without all the fuss and nonsense.

I've also been trying to stop my conservatory leaking this week. I now think there are four certainties in this life:

1) Death
2) Taxes
3) Buying a copy of Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'
4) Ingress of water

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Y

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
C.I.penny pinching

Thanks for your replies,gosh, when i rang C.I. at grimsby to voice my disgust of the ingress and shoddy workmanship, I was put through to a chap who said he was not aware of any other floor problems,but he did say that they are now using plastic floors, Irang again when I found the second leak,saying why on earth did they not use stainless screws in vunerable places ,he said it was probally down to cost,from where i got the term PENNY PINCHING.and that he only imports them. A critical design fault that i found was that the inner wall panels extend right down through the the main bottom wooden timbers and the end open grains are exposed out to the outside of the floor,so ,as in my situation, if it is not sealed up professionaly , the panels will start to soak up the water like blotting paper. My latest roof leak find is in the same place as MAGICSUFERBUS, and due to the same reason, RUSTING SCREWS. and by a strange coincidence, our conservatory has started leaking,just out of the warranty oh well, got to keep smiling yokeljohn. p.s. when i get the hang of my laptop I will try to send some photos of the extent of the water damage

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
i found was that the inner wall panels extend right down through the the main bottom wooden timbers and the end open grains are exposed out to the outside

I'd forgotten about that one - I ended up underneath the van painting the exposed panel ends with Waxoyl underseal on advice from the dealer. Also, if you've got the big rear light fitting high up on the back end keep a close eye on that - the water got in there too. It's an endless battle.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
CI at Grimsby is actually AUTOTRAIL did you speak to mr Treacher or "gentlemen" by the names of Davies or Williams.

not impressed with Autotrails management of the franchise or the service i had from them. as a result would not buy a CI or an Autotrail ever again.

i was told by one of them that my warranty was in his pending tray and as he was a very busy man he would get round to it at some stage. :shout:

when i suggested this was a new motorhome less than a month old ( first contact ) which i had parted with a significant slice of cash nearly £40k with extras :Doh:...and had i bought a car at that price i would be treated at least with some respect. ... i was more or less told "so what" thats the way it is in this field. :Angry:

i could show you a 2 year string of emails and correspondence with them that was less than satisfactory customer service. even when i wrote to the MD in person at Grimsby i got the standard " well it happens " reply.

RANT over.....

message to self! dont read any more threads on CI's or Autotrail's:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back