LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Travelling up to spend a week on the CC Bunree site in Scotland next week with the view of walking up the tourist route to the top of Ben Nevis.

Worried about the weather and possible snow. Has anybody walked the tourist route to the summit with snow on the ground. Is it possible or should we leave well alone?

Information appreciated thanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You must have seen the dead father and son in Chamonix this week.

If you go looking for trouble there's a good chance you'll find it.

It looked a nice easy walk when we were sat in the campsite just below it with the warm autumn sunshine on the walkers.

Why not wait.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Lost a friend there last year who walked to summit and was killed on the decent. Went off the path slipped and fell three hundred feet. Raising money for charity and sadly missed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I've gone up that way a few times with snow on the ground but it was not fresh snow. The temperatures were low, but we had clear blue skies and almost no wind, and were well kitted out and prepared.

You got to have a really good weather watch before you start, and throughout, as it can close in incredibly quickly, especially nearer the top..

Check with locals and, but if you (or they) have any doubts at all give it a miss.

For most of next week its showing -2 to -8 in the evenings, and just 2 to 7 during the day, and that's down at Fort William, not up the mountain....

:Smile:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Did the route a few years back in late may, and can remember that just before reaching the top crossing a muddy snow slope 100 meter or so. So this time of year, i would suggest you need to be well equipped with suitable clothing and footwear , equipment, ready for ice and snow conditions.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
This may be useful....

Today at sea level 5 deg and light winds.
At the summit barely above -8 deg, with snow flurries and 25 mph winds.

Link Removed

:thumb:

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There will almost certainly large amounts of snow and ice and unless you have ice axe and crampons and know how to use them I would strongly advise staying well clear. You also have to know how to use a map and compass if caught out on the summit with low cloud, high winds and blowing snow. There have been many accidents with people falling through cornices over the north face in poor visibility or ending up in Five Finger Gully which can also be a death trap.
You will also need to be fit, as you are climbing from near sea level, and that means an early start to allow for slower progress over deep or icy snow.

Sid

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did it about 20 years ago so I'm sure it has changed since then, as already said make sure your well prepared, I think they have changed the name or are trying to as tourist route gives the impression it's easy some people try in in trainers and tee shirt as its a nice day at the bottom.

Back when we did it the tourist info office had a digital board telling you the weather conditions on the hill and if you should try it or not so might still be there.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We did it about 20 years ago so I'm sure it has changed since then, as already said make sure your well prepared, I think they have changed the name or are trying to as [HI]tourist route [/HI]gives the impression it's easy some people try in in trainers and tee shirt as its a nice day at the bottom.

Back when we did it the tourist info office had a digital board telling you the weather conditions on the hill and if you should try it or not so might still be there.

Thats always been the problem there , with that name . Tourist route implies its a cosy stroll.Not the reality of the area being a place where the weather up top can turn on a penny , from sunshine to blinding snow or mist in seconds. I"ve seen snow up there in May , never mind this early in the year.

To the OP, not wishing to spoil any of your plans , but if your in any doubt whatsoever about the weather or your own abilities , possibly it would be best if you left it alone until well in to the year .

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
My advice would be, dont go up there. The fact that you have had enough sense to ask, suggests that you may be lacking in winter walking experience, in which case leave well alone.

I took my son up there in mid June a few years back, we set off in shorts and teeshirts, i have the photos somewhere of the summit, thick snow and very poor visibility. I needed to use a compass to get us back to the path. As already said very easy to walk off the edge.

On a brighter note i have found in Scotland that often the lower level walks give you a far better day out from the point of scenic views.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself and stay safe.:Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The annual mean temperature at the summit of Ben Nevis is below zero. At this time of year there will certainly be a lot of snow there. Unless you are an experienced winter mountain-walker, do not attempt it. The weather can change very quickly and envelop the summit in a 'white-out'. Without a security rope, ice axe, crampons, map, compass and knowledge, the summit of any Munro is not a place for the novice until it is clear of ice - probably around May for the higher ones.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
If you look at this site, link below, you will see that there s a "considerable" avalanche risk. Definitely not weather for a "walk up the hill", please don't risk it the the Mountain Rescue team won't have to turn out in bad weather to rescue you. ::bigsmile:

http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_Lochaber.asp

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Here are some pictures from May/June 1984, when my son and I did the tourist route. As you can see some snow even then I would think the level of snow would be up to the level of the rescue hut in the photo this time of year.

bennevisclimb22_zpsd15f4abd.jpg
bennevisclimb42_zpsc21ca90f.jpg
bennevisclimb32_zps358f4fc1.jpg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just to make the point, here is a picture of the summit of Aonach Beag taken last Saturday morning. This is an outlier peak in the Nevis range, to the East of BN and about 100 metres lower.

Attachments

• Aonach Beag.jpg
    Aonach Beag.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 18
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I've been up there in heavy rain and wind with a heavy back pack but unless you have masochistic tendencies I would give it a miss with snow on the ground. It is coming down that could be difficult.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Travelling up to spend a week on the CC Bunree site in Scotland next week with the view of walking up the tourist route to the top of Ben Nevis.

Worried about the weather and possible snow. Has anybody walked the tourist route to the summit with snow on the ground. Is it possible or should we leave well alone?

Information appreciated thanks.

Done it many times you would be foolhardy to try it at this time of year the snow forcast is bad for this w/end you could struggle to get to the site as you will have to cross Glancoe

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There have been more deaths on the Scottish mountains this year than ever before due to the conditions, don't become another statistic. Why not drive up the glen and do the walk at the end up to the end of the glen.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
There have been more deaths on the Scottish mountains this year than ever before due to the conditions, don't become another statistic. Why not drive up the glen and do the walk at the end up to the end of the glen.

Is the wire rope bridge over the river still there ? I remember crossing that and on further to the waterfall at the head of the glen many years ago.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Without a doubt it's not advisable for even experts to go up there with the forecast we have for the week ahead. But some of them do but they know what they are doing and know the risks. As an ex Scout Leader, ex Armed Forces , I would give it a wide berth this week. I would actually wait until they are warning of sunstroke up there.......:thumb:

OP
OP
My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Many thanks to everyone for all your advice. I will take heed and have already been planning other walks.

We are regular and fairly experienced walkers. We live close to the Yorkshire Dales and the Lakes and spend a lot of weekends on the hills. That's one of the main reasons our van gets used so much. Last October we walked to the top of Snowden taking the easiest route and I was expecting the tourist route up BN to be something like that. It sounds like tourist route is the wrong name for the walk.

Glad I asked for your advice now. Thank you all again.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Many thanks to everyone for all your advice. I will take heed and have already been planning other walks.

We are regular and fairly experienced walkers. We live close to the Yorkshire Dales and the Lakes and spend a lot of weekends on the hills. That's one of the main reasons our van gets used so much. Last October we walked to the top of Snowden taking the easiest route and I was expecting the tourist route up BN to be something like that. It sounds like tourist route is the wrong name for the walk.

Glad I asked for your advice now. Thank you all again.

Well done for asking for advice. May I suggest that as you are experienced summer hill walkers you book a winter skills course at somewhere like Glenmore Lodge in the Cairngorms or perhaps Plas Y Brenin in North Wales. This will give you the skills and confidence to start exploring the hills in winter conditions, when in my opinion they are the most impressive and majestic, far removed from the worn tracks and crowds of summer. Scotland in winter can be Alpine in character, but in many ways even better with its special blend of hills, water and islands.
Two people I know have just returned from Scotland having climbed some winter routes in Glencoe and on Ben Nevis. Putting that to one side, their abiding memory is arriving on the summit of the Ben in crystal clear visibility with snow clad mountains spread out below them stretching to the Cuillin of Skye and the Outer Hebrides.
That is why Scotland in winter is so special.

Sid

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back