Picture Quality, Freeview & Satellite (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

I am hoping that someone can throw some light, on the problem Rita and I are having with picture quality in the MH.

When using the LED TV with built in Freeview, the picture quality is excellent, however, when using the same TV, with a satellite receiver via a scart lead, the picture quality is definitely inferior. There appears to be a slight shadow on everything, especially text, and the picture goes from bright to dull, and back again, regardless of the satellite channel viewed. Today, I purchased a new scart lead from Maplins, but unfortunately, it hasn't made the slightest difference.
The dish cable input to the receiver is good and secure. I've not been on the roof yet, to check the other end yet, (too cold and dark).

As the evening has gone on, the picture quality appears to have improved, but as before, the shadow is still there, especially on text.

I have looked at tools and settings on the receiver, however, there aren't any adjustments for picture or audio quality.........only on the TV.

Thanks in advance,

Jock.

P.S. I did think that perhaps extreme cold temperatures within the MH, whilst in storage, may have affected the receiver.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
maybe wont make any difference Jock, but you could hard boot the receiver.....ie: reset to factory default settings.

should be in the menu somewhere.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My first option you have already tried. New scart lead..
Temp should make no difference..

You need to try another video source, ie a DVD player and use the same scart. That will determine if the poor signal is from the satellite receiver OR the scart input on your TV is cr**.
I assume you dont have another source connection, ie HDMI or even scart to phonos ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
maybe wont make any difference Jock, but you could hard boot the receiver.....ie: reset to factory default settings.

should be in the menu somewhere.
Thanks for the suggestion John.

I'll have to wait though, until the "Duchess" is finished watching telly. :ROFLMAO: It looks like a job for an early bird, ie, tomorrow morning. :winky:

Tonka said:
My first option you have already tried. New scart lead..
Temp should make no difference..

You need to try another video source, ie a DVD player and use the same scart. That will determine if the poor signal is from the satellite receiver OR the scart input on your TV is cr**.
I assume you dont have another source connection, ie HDMI or even scart to phonos ??
Thanks Steve. I'll have to wait until I get home to try either of those options, I've no other connection leads in the MH.

Cheers,

Jock.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Do you have the option of using composite leads (Red, White & Yellow) to see if that helps?

Don't get drawn into paying silly money for 'gold-plated' SCART leads in TV superstores - total waste of money.

The signal quality on a satellite receiver improves a bit of you twist the LNB (the sensor that the dish focuses the signal onto) slightly to one side of vertical. Not sure if that's your answer though.

Have you tried your screen with other gadgets in the house to see if the picture quality's different?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We had problems with scart leads (bloody awful things) binned ours and use a (I think they are called ) scart to VGA the VGA on the tele end.
Brilliant all problems solved. :thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Hdmi would definately be your best option if you have facility.Funny enough i have just installed a spare sky+ HD box today i had kicking around.This was due to Vanbitz informing me they installed facility for this with my sat system free of charge (twin L + B ). I used an HDMI lead from the box to the tv and picture is as crisp as can be.I have had trouble with scarts in the past i.e. pins get knocked out of line . Hope you get it sorted as you cant be sharing your viewing with a ghost.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..(I think they are called ) scart to VGA..

VGA is the type of plug with lots of small pins that connects to a computer monitor, with the two screws either side.

At the risk of sounding a pedant, do you possibly mean SCART to RCA? (aka 'Composite', with the red and white audio and yellow video plugs)?

I stand corrected if SCART to VGA is how you do it - the leads do exist.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Have you a dish or a dome? Ive been told a dirty dome can cause problems like these you are having.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ive been told a dirty dome can cause problems..

I'm loving the concept of dirty dome..

I'm thinking Frankie Goes to Hollywood - 'Welcome to the Dirty Dome'

Mad Max III - Beyond Dirty Dome (presumably rated 18)

Made me chuckle in an obtuse sort of way :Smile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I'm loving the concept of dirty dome..

I'm thinking Frankie Goes to Hollywood - 'Welcome to the Dirty Dome'

Mad Max III - Beyond Dirty Dome (presumably rated 18)

Made me chuckle in an obtuse sort of way :Smile:

Frankie says "RELAX". :roflmto:

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Do you have the option of using composite leads (Red, White & Yellow) to see if that helps?

Don't get drawn into paying silly money for 'gold-plated' SCART leads in TV superstores - total waste of money.

The signal quality on a satellite receiver improves a bit of you twist the LNB (the sensor that the dish focuses the signal onto) slightly to one side of vertical. Not sure if that's your answer though.

Have you tried your screen with other gadgets in the house to see if the picture quality's different?
Thanks,

Matey in Maplins today did try the "gold plated scart lead" sale technique, but I wasn't having any of it. :Angry:

I'll have to wait until milder weather (and a dry roof) before checking out the dish connection, and the rotation of the LNB.

The TV has 2 x HDMI sockets, 1 x USB socket, and 1 x scart socket.
The Technomate Satellite receiver has 2 x scart sockets, 1 x USB socket, 1 x what looks like a VGA socket labelled RS232C, and component inputs of differing colours.

I'm away in the MH, so not able to connect to anything at home. We only have satellite TV in the MH anyway.

Cheers,

Jock.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Forget the LNB rotation or cleaning the dish... That would show itself as low signal and picture breakup or no picture at all. From what you describe you seem to have an adequate signal from the dish and you are getting solid pictures.
Satellite does not "ghost" like the old TV channels...
There is a chance the satellite receiver itself is at fault and giving out a poor video signal full stop...

A scart to composite ie red/white/yellow would help to do another test and eliminate the scart socket on your TV..
Try when you get home ... Gotta go..
Watch the crisp digital picture on my TV :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Forget the LNB rotation or cleaning the dish... That would show itself as low signal and picture breakup or no picture at all. From what you describe you seem to have an adequate signal from the dish and you are getting solid pictures.
Satellite does not "ghost" like the old TV channels...
There is a chance the satellite receiver itself is at fault and giving out a poor video signal full stop...

A scart to composite ie red/white/yellow would help to do another test and eliminate the scart socket on your TV..
Try when you get home ... Gotta go..
Watch the crisp digital picture on my TV :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I agree with you Steve.

My quality and signal strength are 85% and 97% respectively.

I did carry out a Factory Reset, which hasn't had the desired effect, but it has given me lots of practice at editing and moving channels back into order. :Doh: :roflmto:

I'll have to wait until I get home to source either HDMI or Scart to composite leads. I too suspect the receiver though, as the current set up, has been okay until recently.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
The best picture you will get is from the inbuilt receiver.
It is part of the pcb of the TV ,as soon as you start using cables and plugs ,the signal drops off.
The direct picture of our home TV is better than the sky hd box, and i have the right cables on it.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The best picture you will get is from the inbuilt receiver.
It is part of the pcb of the TV ,as soon as you start using cables and plugs ,the signal drops off.
The direct picture of our home TV is better than the sky hd box, and i have the right cables on it.
Thanks Joner,

However, I need to establish why our satellite picture is suddenly inferior, when it used to be excellent. We only use satellite TV when the local TV signal is poor, or when we are abroad.

Cheers,

Jock.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You may also want to check both on the TV and Satellite settings what signal the external sockets are using.. Something may be set wrong, ie the sat box giving out a VGA signal instead of a composite... etc

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
You may also want to check both on the TV and Satellite settings what signal the external sockets are using.. Something may be set wrong, ie the sat box giving out a VGA signal instead of a composite... etc
Morning Steve,

I gave that a try last night, and had another go this morning, but it makes no difference to the poorer picture quality. :Sad:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If all the settings are as they should be and the cables and a good picture through freeview--then it has to be your sat box or dish.
We had x1 small bit of snow near our sat dish and the picture was terrible, shadowing ect.
Have you looked at the sat box settings for signal strength and quality ?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I don't understand satellite TV at all but I do remember reading recently that a new satellite had been brought on line and caused some changes to tuning in.

And, to state the obvious, have you tried moving the motorhome?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
If you get the chance, maybe when at home, try connecting another Sat receiver, Skybox, Freesat or Feesat HD, just to compare the picture quality.

Try using the same scart first to see if there is any noticeable difference.

If there is that would point to your sat receiver having a problem.. Also try and compare a receiver with HDMI output to your TV if your existing receiver does not have HDMI output.

HD Sat receivers can be had for about £50.

::bigsmile:

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Have you looked at the sat box settings for signal strength and quality ?
As at 07.18 this morning. :winky:
jockandrita said:
My quality and signal strength are 85% and 97% respectively.

I should point out that it doesn't matter where or when I pull in the signal, the strength and quality are always good. It's the picture which isn't good, so that hopefully indicates that everything from the dish into the back of the receiver is okay. I have only noticed a problem with the satellite picture, since using the receiver after this current winter. Prior to that, it provided a great picture, hence my suspicion that extreme low temperatures during storage may have affected the receiver in some unknown way, ie a component failure.

spacerunner said:
I don't understand satellite TV at all but I do remember reading recently that a new satellite had been brought on line and caused some changes to tuning in.
Hi John. It's a manual dish, so doesn't rely on software updates when satellites are moved or switched over. I just point, elevate, and tweek at 28.2 degrees East for a few seconds, then BINGO. I can get a lock on to Astra 2D (now Astra 1N), quicker, than some folks can with automatic dishes. :winky:

I'll try it again at Newark, but am expecting exactly the same results.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I'll try it again at Newark, but am expecting exactly the same results.
Having settled just outside Newark for the night, and set up the satellite dish, as suspected, a great signal quality and strength, but a crappy picture.

So, I went up on the (dry) roof to check the dish connection, remembering that I had adapted the cable end screw connections, with push fit connections for ease of connecting/disconnecting . Without disconnecting whilst the power was still on to the LNB, I rotated the push fit connector a few times, (stiif at first, but then eased), and.............................Voila, a superb picture without the shadow on text, and without the constant changing from dull to bright.

There we have it, ie, possible corrosion of the external push fit cable connection to the LNB, on the back of the dish. I shall have to get some contact lubricant, or get back up there with the jar of Vaseline. :ROFLMAO:

Steve (Tonka ) was right, about low temperatures not affecting the receiver, thanfully. :thumb:

Thanks to all for their input.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

P.S. Anyone know anything about an unlocked MiFi, Model No Hauwei E585? :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back