Just Up & Go. Who does it? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Before owning a motorhome I always used to think how we'd just 'up & go' whenever we felt like it.

Since owning a motorhome, we never have!

So how many do just that - up & go? You wake up one morning, the sun is shining and the weekend begins. Nothing booked, nothing planned, nothing packed and not even a destination in mind.

So is it possible?
Is your van prepared?
Do you do it?
Where would you stay?

Just interested.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We always make sure the motorhome is clean and basic essentials are loaded.
We are lucky to have space at home to store the motorhome.

We can and do just pop away when we can.

No plans just up & go.

Mel

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, it's possible,
Yes, the van is always ready,
Yes, I just do it,
I stay wherever I feel like on the day in question.

It got better recently as my friend just bought a demountable and they like to go away EVERY weekend possible, but we don't plan anything until the thursday.

I am a fulltimer so always ready to go. Even when I had a house I used to just get up in the morning and say sod it and go.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
working fulltime but MH is always left ready to go with essentials and enough clothes for a long weekend so if want to head off Friday afternoon we can.
We just decide if going north / south / east or west then head off and the boss checks for campsites on her iphone and makes a booking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If the weather looks ok - fill the water tank up and go :thumb:

couldnt put it any better, and now we have Britstops it looks like being even eseyer , havnt tried the free stops yet but getting close:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We are always doing it.. We have a max range for 'quick trips' of 60 miles ( give or take ) and just load in a few bits and bobs and we are gone..
Usually it takes less than 30 minutes from thinking about it to doing it !!

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
we struggle to stay at home the m/home is always ready to go we have more clothes in the m/h then the house.
when we plan on staying home by the time it gets to 10pm on a friday night we are fed up with staying home .
and jump in the m/h.
we both work full time last year we got away 32 times .

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Our van is always ready to go everything from food, clothes and water and as we wild no need to book a thing unless we are off abroad. Short breaks no problem. Longer ones and we need to arrange some form of animal sitting cover, but a couple of days and the locals keep an eye out for us.
We don't fulltime but do use the van as a static at the smallholding/CL every day. If I planned something I might have to clean the outside, hee hee

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our van is always ready to go everything from food, clothes and water and as we wild no need to book a thing unless we are off abroad. Short breaks no problem. Longer ones and we need to arrange some form of animal sitting cover, but a couple of days and the locals keep an eye out for us.
We don't fulltime but do use the van as a static at the smallholding/CL every day. If I planned something I might have to clean the outside, hee hee
we really seem to be on the same wavelength:Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
This is why we are missing ours so much. When school finishes on a friday we can just jump in it and drive. We dont mind where we end up thats all part of the adventure.

Sometimes we just park up and sometimes we stop at a campsite we may drive past. If they dont have a vacancy they usually know somewhere else locally but we just love the freedom.

We dont have to plan we just say lets go for a drive and where we end up is anyones guess.

Why not try it ???? Its great fun

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The plan is that I should always be able to move off within five minutes.

That's the plan anyway.

JJ:Cool:

...of course I am living in the van so not much to pack...

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Our MH is parked at home and is ready to go within half an hour of the "Let's bu**er off somewhere" moment.

Where that somewhere is we don't have a clue, but with living on the doorstep of the North Yorks Moors (2 miles max) and the Yorkshire Dales (half hour drive), and only an hour and a half drive from the Lake District, we are somewhat spoiled for choice.
The biggest decision is whether to turn left or right as we leave our town. :RollEyes:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ours is in storage half an hour away, so slightly more premeditation is called for.

Likewise, although a bit closer to home. Nevertheless we'll sometimes do a quick weekend flit on the basis of a favourable weather forecast on a Thursday evening. We usually head for a cheap camping field in N Wales.

I'd like to be more spontaneous but the deeds of our house forbid is to park a MH on the drive, and the drive's too small anyway. I've also just signed up for a second job that will take at least one day of every weekend during the summer. I've still got Mondays off though.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
We live on the Kent coast and fancied going to spend 2 nights at Chatsworth House,We arrived home after 9 days and sitting on the edge of Loch ness.We are going on a jaunt this Friday,Who knows?

Beemer

Free Member
Dec 30, 2012
Lincolnshire & Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2 Years
Went to Penzance for a long weekend last March. Three weeks later I was on the Algarve after a wonderful unplanned trip through France & Spain !

Unplanned, in my experience, is often more fun

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Unplanned all the way - all the best holidays are!

Once did an impulsive tour of Europe when I was made redundant - decided to take a few weeks out. Woke up, came up with the idea of breakfast, made a few calls to insurers and so on and packed up. Gone by 11am - had my evening meal in Holland, not believing that I had been quite so impulsive.

One of the greatest breaks away I ever had.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Both working full time so not always easy, we tend to use ours for day trips as we only live a few miles from the coast. Quite often I will half cook dinner and pre heat the mh oven so when Lorraine and Sophie come home I stick the dinner in mh oven turn it off and head to the beach. We then walk the dog and when Sophie was younger just sit and watch her play in the sand. Then have dinner and head back home about 4 hours total but feels like a holiday :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We also nip away for the odd night at the weekend without planning as having a 15 year old we have to work round her busy social life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back