Free Member
Nov 11, 2011
Scarborough, Australia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2007 in Aus, 2011 in UK
I read somewhere of using reversing sensors as security alarm whilst sleeping. Can anyone advise. We have a security alarm but it is only for when away from our motorhome.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Are you sure you cannot arm it while you are inside? Try it and see. Try holding the arming button down for a couple of seconds. What happens?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The one we have can have the internal volume sensors switched off via the plip or keypad if we feel the need in potentially dodgy places .
It's surprising how many options I found when reading the handbook :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I read somewhere of using reversing sensors as security alarm whilst sleeping. Can anyone advise. We have a security alarm but it is only for when away from our motorhome.

It's all in here somewhere.

Negatives are that animals and wind set them off.

Upvote 0

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Go to Wilkinsons you can purchase a motion detector alarm for £19 battery operated (with a remote control) similar to the ones used inside your house add some stick on Velcro then find the best place to position it and bobs your uncle. (Take it down and store it when on the move) Very loud as well

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Go to Wilkinsons you can purchase a motion detector alarm for £19 battery operated (with a remote control) similar to the ones used inside your house add some stick on Velcro then find the best place to position it and bobs your uncle. (Take it down and store it when on the move) Very loud as well

Saw a similar kit with 4 (I think) alarm sensors in Aldi the other day cannot remember price :thumb:

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Without trying to appear stupid, how can you use a motion detector in the van when your in it? Won't it go off, when the occupier shuffles through for the midnight pee?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Just noticed this is your first post. And your from Aus,

Come and tell us a bit about yourself,

And welcome to motorhome Fun.:thumb:

Upvote 0

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Without trying to appear stupid, how can you use a motion detector in the van when your in it? Won't it go off, when the occupier shuffles through for the midnight pee?

Not a problem jus t find a location which won't catch the area you sleep in. However if you're on a bit of a trek to the loo then any alarm would activate luckily our bed & thunderbox are at the back of then van so just point the detector to cover the front and seating area which covers all the doors

Upvote 0

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Or you could go to Vanbitz and have their system fitted which enables you to arm it whilst you are in it.It also has a panic button on the key thob and its very very loud.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

If you have it positioned next to the habitation door it will go off when the door is opened If the sensor is facing the door you should be able to go for a pee without setting it off,unless you've had a skinful and you end up falling out the door :ROFLMAO:
You'd be better getting a dog great companion and excellent alarm!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our van has an manufacturer fitted alarm but no internal sensors so I picked up a battery operated motion detector/alarm similar to this one from a car boot sale for 50p still in it's packaging!

Link Removed

Not such a good deal though ... I had to put in a new battery :Doh: but it does work!!! :thumb:

Very loud and it can be set to a 'chime mode' to 'welcome' visitors :Smile:, or as an alarm to scare the hebe-jebies out of them! :whatthe:

I'll just have to find a suitable place in the camper to put it and remember to turn it off in a morning!!! :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our new van has the cobra alarm fitted although I haven't yet worked out how to set it when in mh, in our old one we only had an alarm you could set when away from mh so we stuck a couple of clips on all the doors and before going to bed we would clip a personal panic alarm to the door and other end to another clip down in the footwell of the doors this way it's out of sight. If the door was opened then it would pull the string out and set the alarm off and they are loud also had a flashing light on them. Got them from the pound shop.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Our new van has the cobra alarm fitted although I haven't yet worked out how to set it when in mh, in our old one we only had an alarm you could set when away from mh so we stuck a couple of clips on all the doors and before going to bed we would clip a personal panic alarm to the door and other end to another clip down in the footwell of the doors this way it's out of sight. If the door was opened then it would pull the string out and set the alarm off and they are loud also had a flashing light on them. Got them from the pound shop.

Dealer fitted a Cobra in our new van, all instructions on a cd no paper manual if you need a copy Gerry.

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I can highly recommend one of these
001.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I've just ordered a Cobra, £270 with fitting. Because the van is parked at another location, i'm fitting a self monitoring tracker. Its supposedly got a battery life of 15 days. I will post a review in a week or so.

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
The original poster was asking about security whilst in the van,
but whenever I take him for a walk the wife is with the truck, when we both go out he is either on a tether in the awning or in the truck either way he can get to the door, at the end of the day if some one wants to break into any van they will, the best you can do is provide a deterrent either an alarm which many people will ignore or my choice, I certainly know which I would rather have sitting beside me if anyone ever managed to get in while we were in there,

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
but whenever I take him for a walk the wife is with the truck, when we both go out he is either on a tether in the awning or in the truck either way he can get to the door, at the end of the day if some one wants to break into any van they will, the best you can do is provide a deterrent either an alarm which many people will ignore or my choice, I certainly know which I would rather have sitting beside me if anyone ever managed to get in while we were in there,

I prefer both :thumb: Look at my dashboard::bigsmile:

Eddie

Attachments

• IMG_1769[1].jpg
    IMG_1769[1].jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

My alarm went off one night and i found my wife had been in there and didn't close the bathroom door properly and it sprung open in the night.I apologised to the neighbours and joked with them also.(Van was on drive)I asked them all if they thought it was loud and they all gave the same answer. Also i knew they had all heard it because i saw the curtains twitching all along the other side of the road.This alarm CANNOT be ignored for what ever reason.It can also be armed whilst in van and if anyone should force the door ive got something very special for them.:moon: I do no that they would run,or try at least.

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
hi there thatchem cat 1 is what you need .the key fob has a large button to lock and a small button to press within 30 seconds and the dogs can summersault round the van all day :ROFLMAO:.

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
My alarm went off one night and i found my wife had been in there and didn't close the bathroom door properly and it sprung open in the night.I apologised to the neighbours and joked with them also.(Van was on drive)I asked them all if they thought it was loud and they all gave the same answer. Also i knew they had all heard it because i saw the curtains twitching all along the other side of the road.This alarm CANNOT be ignored for what ever reason.It can also be armed whilst in van and if anyone should force the door ive got something very special for them.:moon: I do no that they would run,or try at least.

:Eeek: Yep that would do it, if some geezer offered me his jacksie I think I would soon scarper :roflmto:, They might have heard it and looked out the window but the crucial question is did any one report it to the old bill.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Or you could go to Vanbitz and have their system fitted which enables you to arm it whilst you are in it.It also has a panic button on the key thob and its very very loud.:Smile:
err, that's a great idea but a bit of a trek from Australia:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
:Eeek: Yep that would do it, if some geezer offered me his jacksie I think I would soon scarper :roflmto:, They might have heard it and looked out the window but the crucial question is did any one report it to the old bill.

They all saw me outside trying to work out what set it off. my closest neighbour was hanging out his window wondering wtf was going on.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back