Pressure Cooker v Double Skillet (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yes I know, another double skillet thread, but cannot make up my mind which would be most useful in the van - double skillet or pressure cooker? Don't want to fill all cupboard space with cooking utensils otherwise there will be no room for the food!!

Who's got what and if you have both which do you use the most?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have a small pressure cooker that I bought in Morocco. Its the type without the handle so doesn't take any more room up than a normal pan and can also be used as a pan. We cook stews and even pot roast joints in it. We don't use a double skillet as we have an oven. IMO a small pressure cooker not only cooks quicker but saves on gas. A double skillet is OK if you don't have an oven, but as my learned colleague JJ will tell you, you cant cook a Frey Bentos pie in one.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Yes I know, another double skillet thread, but cannot make up my mind which would be most useful in the van - double skillet or pressure cooker? Don't want to fill all cupboard space with cooking utensils otherwise there will be no room for the food!!

I have double skillet and find it very useful never even considered a pressure cooker funnily enough but i think i have seen the ones with out handles and can see it would also be a valuabe piece of kit but I suppose it depends on how many you are feeding . I use a steamer and that also saves on space on the cooker top . But mostly i try not to cook:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Was waiting to see what Snowbird :Smile: would say, I would say if you have a oven just have the pressure cooker but if you don't have a oven I would not be without my double skillet

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Was waiting to see what Snowbird :Smile: would say, I would say if you have a oven just have the pressure cooker but if you don't have a oven I would not be without my double skillet

We are ovenless in our van. I do actually enjoy cooking in the van. I think because I have time to think about it and plan, seeing what meals we can come up with is part of the fun of motorhoming for me. At home it's just a chore that has to be done after working all day.
Very tempted by the double skillet. The lady that runs the business will not be at a show until Peterborough so perhaps I could have a peek at yours Carol, at Chester?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You certainly can :Smile: its a bit battered but well used and loved.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
OK, I'm awkward, the double skillet is the preferred device when away for a weekend, never let us down.
When on longer travels, the pressure cooker comes along for the ride. Mushroom risotto in 15 minutes from start to finish, no stirring, meat and poultry cook well and quickly. If the sauce is too watery, there is always cornflower:Smile:.

I was impressed with someone using a Remoska on a site, even made their own bread in it, but you need a hookup for the power.

Sorry JJ, never tried a Fray Bentos Pie, although in a shared house of students back in the 70's, a friend stuck a goblin steak and kidney pudding in a pan of water to cook, he didn't puncture the can first, that made quite a mess.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know most imported vans don't have an oven, and I did give a great deal of thought to loosing an internal cupboard for an oven. I then found the Roastmaster oven and 2 burner hob from Johns Cross and can say it is one of the best things I have ever bought for the van. It is designed for tent campers, so is self standing and can be used outside or on a table. Just connect it to a small gas bottle and away you go, no cooking smells in the van and no worries about cooking chips with all the steam and smell. Mine just fits inside the garage door and I tend to cook more on that than in the van nowadays.

Attachments

• Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 51

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
remoska?

I have been looking at other cooking options, and it looks like the Remoska uses 470 watts, possible to run off an inverter?

S:rain::rain::rain:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have both!

At home I use a pressure cooker normally so 'miss' it when I'm away as I like to cook stews and prefer spuds/veg etc in one, I've also cooked chicken in it which was so succulent and tasty with a lovely stock to make a soup, I also do gammon joints too ... absolutely beautiful! Plus it takes up only one 'ring' on the hob instead of 2 or 3 if you use normal pans which will be even more useful now that I only have 2 rings!:RollEyes: We have a 4 litre pressure cooker, rather than the full-sized one, and it's the perfect size, in fact when the large one at home gives up the ghost I'll get another smaller one to replace it. You can get them for well under £25 if you shop around but make sure you get baskets and a trivet with them as some come without and you have to buy the as extras - Ebay is a very good source for these smaller pressure cookers.

Link Removed

As for storage, it is a 10 second job to remove the large handle off the base of the pressure cooker so don't let that put you off getting one. I also have Tefal Ingenio pans which I use in the camper which have a 'clamp-on' handle so the pans actually store inside my pressure cooker anyway, with a small collander on top into which my small 'Oxo Good Grips' salad spinner sits, so everything is in one 'unit', and I just store the lids separately.

I also have the double skillet which lives in my 'grill' so again minimal space is lost from the cupboards - it is great for cooking all sorts of things such as snacks (toasted sarnies are scrumptious!), warming up pies etc, cooking roast chicken and potatoes (yummie!) ... there not a lot you can't actually cook in them! I'm gonna have a go at doing some bread when I get a minute too.:thumb:

double skillet review

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I have taken the plunge with a pressure cooker - so far it has produced a superb whole chicken, so tender and moist, I doubt I will bother roasting one again. Also did a speedy chilli, which the other half thought was just as good as one spent hours in the slow cooker. :thumb:

Still considering a double skillet though, just can't spend too much money at once otherwise he'll be moaning about it!!:winky:

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Remoska or skillet

Over the years we have tried many things, the skillet we ended up using as a frying pan or two!! Ditched it last year as it took up so much room and we rarely if ever used it as an oven. We cook outside as much as we can on a couple of burners or the BBQ, saves the smells. Just getting used to using the oven and grill more, but the kitchen gadget we use most of all especially in the winter is the Remoska, absolutely brilliant and uses very little electric and it's light and easy to store

If your not on a hook up then back to the oven and hob!! Personally I 've always been a bit nervous of a pressure cooker but that's just me being wussy :whatthe:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I 've always been a bit nervous of a pressure cooker but that's just me being wussy :whatthe:

Pppsshhhshshhhhhhssssssshhhhhssspppppppspspsspsppssphhhhhhh

Did that scare you? :Eeek:

That was my impression of a pressure cooker ... good innit! :ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I can still see the ceiling now when I was little and dad tried it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

its hard to eat it off the ceiling:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I used to cook raw tripe for the dogs in a pressure cooker.

Forgot to put the weights on once and had green slime dripping down off the ceiling :ROFLMAO:

Ahhh! Yuk! The one I have bought doesn't have one of those weight things. I don't have any childhood memories of pressure cookers as mum never used one.

Watch this space for any comic moments with my new kitchen gadget.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Dad only used one once:ROFLMAO:

I remember pigs trotters rabbit tripe all those sort of things my gran used to do, I remember her up to her elbows in rabbit chicken or any other meat you had in those days cleaning plucking etc.

No fridges microwaves packet meals ready prepared veg you had to dig it up if you wanted that I think spam and corned beef was in tins that's about it corned beef pie is still one of my favourites.If as a kid I left my dinner guess what I had next meal:ROFLMAO:
I do not remember food being thrown away or having a sell by date what was left was made into something else.I also remember kilner jars full of stuff apples wrapped up in paper in the spare bedroom ,vegetable broth, belly pork.
what sort of things do you remember eating as a child?:Eeek:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Dad only used one once:ROFLMAO:

I remember pigs trotters rabbit tripe all those sort of things my gran used to do, I remember her up to her elbows in rabbit chicken or any other meat you had in those days cleaning plucking etc.

No fridges microwaves packet meals ready prepared veg you had to dig it up if you wanted that I think spam and corned beef was in tins that's about it corned beef pie is still one of my favourites.If as a kid I left my dinner guess what I had next meal:ROFLMAO:
I do not remember food being thrown away or having a sell by date what was left was made into something else.I also remember kilner jars full of stuff apples wrapped up in paper in the spare bedroom ,vegetable broth, belly pork.
what sort of things do you remember eating as a child?:Eeek:

Good things - jelly and blancmange with bread and butter, Sunday evening tea.:thumb:
Bad things - not being allowed to leave the table until had eaten all my cabbage, still hate it now! - Sunday Lunch. :cry:

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Good things - jelly and blancmange with bread and butter, Sunday evening tea.:thumb:
Bad things - not being allowed to leave the table until had eaten all my cabbage, still hate it now! - Sunday Lunch. :cry:

Our Sunday tea was tinned fruit, ideal milk and bread and butter :thumb:

But, having just cleared out my Mum's house, I found not only her jelly/blancmange moulds but my Grandmother's too - and no, I'm not going to throw them away ( hoarding's in the blood :RollEyes: ) - jelly and blancmange may be making a come-back in this house! :winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I still have a few boxes of Mums stuff all wrapped up ornaments etc I just cannot bear to part with some things that I know meant something to her:cry:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
George Forman grilling machine
Use it out side for a smell free van
Plug in and go!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our Sunday tea was tinned fruit, ideal milk and bread and butter :thumb:

But, having just cleared out my Mum's house, I found not only her jelly/blancmange moulds but my Grandmother's too - and no, I'm not going to throw them away ( hoarding's in the blood :RollEyes: ) - jelly and blancmange may be making a come-back in this house! :winky:

Strange you should say that, it was my daughters birthday last week, so I did a party for her, pulled out my nan's old glass mould of a rabbit must be well over a 100 years old, gave them a laugh a very wobbly rabbit, with lots of family history, brilliant. :Smile:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Over the years we have tried many things, the skillet we ended up using as a frying pan or two!! Ditched it last year as it took up so much room and we rarely if ever used it as an oven. We cook outside as much as we can on a couple of burners or the BBQ, saves the smells. Just getting used to using the oven and grill more, but the kitchen gadget we use most of all especially in the winter is the Remoska, absolutely brilliant and uses very little electric and it's light and easy to store

If your not on a hook up then back to the oven and hob!! Personally I 've always been a bit nervous of a pressure cooker but that's just me being wussy :whatthe:

Do you still have your double skillet tucked away somewhere? I would be happy to buy it off you?:thumb:

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Who are these people who sell double skillets?
My daughters been trying to buy one on line as a present for me since before Christmas. They tell her theyre getting stock in then a month later she asks and they say oh we'll get some later. Thats been going on since November. They dont initiate communication and I certainly havent yet seen my Christmas present. The last attempt a month ago they said oh you'll get it in 10 days- and again oh we have no stock when we check. Whats the point of a good product with customer service like that? I told her to get her money back ( oh yes theyve had the cash since November) and I'll try something else

but I am disappointed!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Who are these people who sell double skillets?
My daughters been trying to buy one on line as a present for me since before Christmas. They tell her theyre getting stock in then a month later she asks and they say oh we'll get some later. Thats been going on since November. They dont initiate communication and I certainly havent yet seen my Christmas present. The last attempt a month ago they said oh you'll get it in 10 days- and again oh we have no stock when we check. Whats the point of a good product with customer service like that? I told her to get her money back ( oh yes theyve had the cash since November) and I'll try something else

but I am disappointed!

I emailed the company a couple of weeks ago to ask which shows they were going to be at and the reply was Peterborough. I am hoping to get one there.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Skillett

Sorry Armytwowheels, I'm afraid the skillet went to the great recyle heaven in France:whatthe:

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First

Double skillet Ive found very useful but we also now use a lot the Colemans or Schwts cookin bags. So many different flavours just and ingredients and cook in oven

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back