Free Member
Mar 16, 2013
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Our Motorhome is now 12 months old and is having it's first service. We have to decide if it should have a habitation check as well. Does anyone know if this is necessary and will it effect the warranty if we don't have it done?
Thanks for any advice.
Huge.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hab check you will find will be needed for the warrentee.. Plus It is worth doing, my year old Autotrail has a damp problem . !!!

Re Cab service, not always needed as modern vans are based on mileage..
ie My 2012 Fiat 2.3 euro 5 is stated on the Fiat motorhome website as something like 27,000 miles....

"Servicing must be carried out every 45,000 km (40,000 for 2.2 engines) on Euro 4 engines. Servicing must be carried out every 48,000 km on Euro 5 engines.
However, we do recommend, if the annual mileage is low, that the engine oil and brake fluid are changed every two years.
Between services, we recommend that you check the fluid levels and perform routine checks.
The actual interval for changing the oil and replacing the engine oil filter depends on the vehicle usage conditions and is signalled by the warning light or message (if present) in the instrument panel (see chapter “Warning lights and messages”) or every 24 months"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You must have an annual habitation check to keep your warranty valid, it is also a good idea anyway to catch any potential problems before they get real ones.

I automatically give five years free habitaion services to all my van buyers

Peter

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
steve

no it wont affect your warranty or anything else.but i do suggest you have it done for your own personal safety we have ours done every year i know its expensive about £150 but what price do you put on your lifes. if you are going anywhere and havnt had it done yet make sure you take a detector with you and have it done asap regards steve

D

DM14742

Deleted User
no it wont affect your warranty or anything else.but i do suggest you have it done for your own personal safety we have ours done every year i know its expensive about £150 but what price do you put on your lifes. if you are going anywhere and havnt had it done yet make sure you take a detector with you and have it done asap regards steve
Just make sure the People doing your Hab. check know what they are doing. I was left with a right old mess after a local Mobile Hab Check Guy had finished with my Van last year. My Gaslow leaked, he managed to set off the Dry Powder extinguisher in the cab covering everything & I don't think my fridge has worked properly since he had his mits on it. My philosophy is if its working leave well alone now.:Angry:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
steve

thanks for that advice jez i will take it as i do believe when ive had the hab check done before ive been ripped off.in future im just taking the detector with us as that does the job thanks steve:Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You may think Ash is biased as that's one of the jobs he does - it VERY much depends on the Mobile Servicer you use doesn't it?

Did yours come highly recommended by people you knew, who always used him themselves, Jez?

The ones we've used up to now - both Mark (aka CLS) and Ash - who we actually rang when they were driving back from France once! - were each both of those things. And the 'Ash' job - for our eldest - a caravan pre-purchase inspection and being sold by a car dealer as a favour for someone - wasn't dead straightforward either. ( The Avondale Rangemaster caravan is still alive and very much kicking by the way Steve, and it's off to France (again) in a couple of weeks)

D

DM14742

Deleted User
You may think Ash is biased as that's one of the jobs he does - it VERY much depends on the Mobile Servicer you use doesn't it?

Did yours come highly recommended by people you knew, who always used him themselves, Jez?

The ones we've used up to now - both Mark (aka CLS) and Ash - who we actually rang when they were driving back from France once! - were each both of those things. And the 'Ash' job - for our eldest - a caravan pre-purchase inspection and being sold by a car dealer as a favour for someone - wasn't dead straightforward either. ( The Avondale Rangemaster caravan is still alive and very much kicking by the way Steve, and it's off to France (again) in a couple of weeks)
I agree it does depend on who you use & no he didn't come by recommendation although he supposedly had all the qualifications to do the work and letters after his name etc, but he was a local one man band who I thought I could trust & I wanted to give him my business. That's why I qualified in my last post that you should make sure you know that the people doing the job are up to it.
I don't suggest not having the Hab. check done but for me I'd rather keep an eye on things myself now & if I can't do the repair I'll find out how to.(once bitten twice shy)
Its the same with most things in life, be it builders, Mechanics or whatever you usually get let down in some way, shape or form by them - I keep my distance now & do it myself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back