Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Hi Guys

I am planning our trip to Scotland at Easter travelling on the M6. I looked at Tebay service area near Kendall and wondered if anyone has any experience overnighting there, or suggest anywhere suitable. I would be turning up about 1 am so would like to park and sleep.

thanks

Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi Guys

I am planning our trip to Scotland at Easter travelling on the M6. I looked at Tebay service area near Kendall and wondered if anyone has any experience overnighting there, or suggest anywhere suitable. I would be turning up about 1 am so would like to park and sleep.

thanks

Steve
If its owt like the SAs lower down the M6 make sure you pay and tell someone before you park up, else you will have a massive fine through the post later

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi never stayed there but Tebay services has its own campsite just as you go up the slip road for the services you keep left to the campsite.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
If its owt like the SAs lower down the M6 make sure you pay and tell someone before you park up, else you will have a massive fine through the post later
:Eeek:

Had one or two of these from various service areas as they are Private PCN`s I just ignore them they give up eventually the argument should it arise is you are too tired to drive therefore.....cannot
works for me .:winky:
though no doubt others will disagree :RollEyes:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Had one or two of these from various service areas as they are Private PCN`s I just ignore them they give up eventually the argument should it arise is you are too tired to drive therefore.....cannot

This is NOT a disagreement but....
BE CAREFUL NOW... They changed the law / rules last last year on this.. Not going into all the details here as there is lots of stuff on the net about it.. Like you I have had them from supermarkets in the past and have just ignored them. But changes have been made !!!!!

Cant help on the Tebay parking.. sorry.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
When we go up to Scotland we either use the A1(M) or M6, at junction 43 turn left and theres a Tesco's, cheaper diesel and tuck yourself into a corner, its 30ish miles further on than the services,54°53'46.12"N, 2°53'44.20"W arrive late leave early, not forgetting to fill up.
Or, off A1(M) left turn A68 about 20 miles from Scotch Corner, big layby 54°34'9.20"N
1°36'30.86"W if you keep on this road, enter Scotland via the east coast.
Any other spots just PM em. Take care, have fun, we're off to Scotland directly after the Thetford bash for 5-6 weeks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The camp site at Tebay services is expensive and mainly used by semi permanent contractors, you can cross over to southbound services via the hotel access road, there is a great caravan / motorhome section, (on the level above the main car park so away from traffic) but I suspect it needs paying for if over 2 hours. Well worth a stop en route for a short break. I was also pleased to find the service area at Perth does not charge to park overnight, but is busy because of it, that might help you for your second night. David

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi Guys

thanks

Steve
i think tebay svcs have their own campsite
no ideas on price

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I always thought Tebay was where Lancashire people sold second-hand items online.

You live and learn eh?

Seriously - there's a website saying it's £18 for 'caravans' after the first 2 hours, it's open 24 hours, and parking charges are enforced by the parent company.

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
Itinerants had moved in to sedge moor services on the M5 this week

I was driving past at 5am so tested my horn:roflmto::ROFLMAO:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi Guys

thanks

Steve
not sure how it is now
In 2007 i wild camped all over Scotland with out a problem for eight weeks
there are lots of places to stop over night
stopping about 830-930
moving off early morning 730-830
found some really nice spots
one is at Falkirk wheel
past the visitor center car park in the bus turning area:thumb:nice views and ride on the wheel in the morning:thumb::thumb:

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
If you come as far as Gretna it has a huge shopping centre and if you appear after shops close do not think it would be a problem. Or the services have a motorhome and coach and lorry park so could sit there indefinitely as no one cares.
If it is just wild camping you want then Scotland is your Oyster, as you can basically park anywhere you do not cause a nuisance or obstruction. I have been wilding in Glasgow as an experiment of it last three nights. I nipped into an industrial estate and just parked in a quiet street, then off in morning, not a soul bothered me.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Hi Guys

thanks

Steve

Perfect little overnight parking area on A685, 2-mile south of Tebay J38 at NY607008. Use it regularly traveling N/S and often others there too. All phone networks 100% too.

Cheers.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
When we use the M6 / A74(M) route to Scotland we usually stop at Wanlockhead village for an overnight break . Rather than stop over at lorry parks or service stations . Bit further than Tebay services mind you ( 90 mile further north ) . But only turning off the A74(M) for the last 5 or so miles .

Leave the A74(M) at junction 14, then follow signs for Leadhills and Wanlockhead ..... There is a museum car park in Wanlockhead ( with unlocked toilet) you can park at free of charge . Or the local pub welcomes motorhomes to park up , free of charge . Museum and a guided tour in the lead mine well worth doing . Pub serves good meals and a decent pint. .

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Yep - theft is theft

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back