Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Are there any Funsters planning to visit this year during D-Day Week? If so, can anyone advise of good sites to stay around the Normandy coast? Planning to travel Portsmouth to Caen around the 4 June and stay for 4 to 5 days.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
If you like free camping there are lots of places along this coast:thumb:
There are also lots of commercial campsites and a few municipal campsites in the bigger towns.
If you go to Bayeux the municipal campsite is very central to the town.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Are there any Funsters planning to visit this year during D-Day Week? If so, can anyone advise of good sites to stay around the Normandy coast? Planning to travel Portsmouth to Caen around the 4 June and stay for 4 to 5 days.

I admit it was late August but I stayed overnight in the car park at Arromanche by the 360° cinema. You can then walk to the Museum.

There is a grass/stone car-park opposite the Pegasus Bridge Museum.
I stayed there overnight and was in the museum as soon as it opened!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
If you are in the Arromanche area for June 6th it is a brilliant day, The town is beautiful and the museum is also very good, they usually have a remembrance and an air display as well.

If you are not aware (which I am sure you will be) Arromanche is where the mulberry harbour was built and remnants of it are still there, also it is where the invasion took place

If you are looking for an Aire there is one just after Arromanche (Heading West) right at the top of a cliff which over looks the town and harbour, If you are wanting a Campsite there are numerous there and the signs are all on the main road into and out of the town.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I admit it was late August but I stayed overnight in the car park at Arromanche by the 360° cinema. You can then walk to the Museum.

We stayed at both of these as well!

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +

Yes it is a good walk down to the town, If you are ok to walk it's good as it is a very steep descent and obviously a climb on way back, If not there is a little "Train" that will take you down and bring you back when you have done. :thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have done the D Day landings, brilliant atmosphere, lots of old english soldiers in uniform, marching and holding their flags, we went to a museum and all of a sudden old jeeps and motorbikes turned up all dressed in uniform, really get into the spirit.
Pegasus bridge was good too, signing old war songs outside the museum, very emotional

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Camping Normandy

We stayed here. A brilliant little site and right on the Juno beach, great to go around the museum. Nice little town with a good fish market and restaurants. If you don't want to use the campsite an Aire is at the gate and than you can use the facilities. Well sign posted from Caen and not far.

http://www.campingcourseulles.com/

A very French site but we really enjoyed it! From here we went on to Bayeaux, well recommended and a great municipal just a short walk into town. Enjoy :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back