Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi I am looking for advice on installing a pump into my water carrier.It`only for the sink which has just the tap with no switches on it I have a small whale pump that is not submersible from caravan but I do not have any other bits that I might need. Any advice and what else would I need, or would I be easier to get a submersible type which will fit into the carrier. Again what else would I need to install this.The easiest and cheapest set up please
Thanks ........Bruce

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Couple of options.. first option is cheapest

Use your Whale pump and fit a Whale Pressure switch.. this is fitted in-line between pump and tap..

or fit a new tap with a microswitch.
Thank you for your reply. What else would I need for example how does the water turn on and off as the tap is just basically a spout which lies horizontal in the sink and you pull it vertical. Under the sink where the tap goes through it has a piece of hose about a half inch wide which attaches straight onto tap Is this pressure switch the water on /off. Anymore info before I go to Gooutdoors and look a bit silly. Thanks again, you will have noticed I am a complete novice...........Bruce

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thank you for your reply. What else would I need for example how does the water turn on and off as [HI]the tap is just basically a spout[/HI] which lies horizontal in the sink and you pull it vertical. Under the sink where the tap goes through it has a piece of hose about a half inch wide which attaches straight onto tap Is this pressure switch the water on /off. Anymore info before I go to Gooutdoors and look a bit silly. Thanks again, you will have noticed I am a complete novice...........Bruce

Hi

Does the spout have a tap .. or not ?

If it has a tap, then you simply plumb-in the pressure switch between the tap and the pump..

Route the 12v + supply through the pressure switch to the pump.. The pump starts when it senses low pressure ie.. you opened the tap.. and stops when it senses high pressure.. ie you closed the tap ..

If your spout has not tap .. then a very simple and cheap method is to have a push switch to turn the pump on and off.. much like a door bell switch.. this can be mounted near the sink.. not as convenient but cheap and simple.

something like this.. look in Maplins .. or any DIY

TSW-PLUS-5_small.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi

Does the spout have a tap .. or not ?

If it has a tap, then you simply plumb-in the pressure switch between the tap and the pump..

Route the 12v + supply through the pressure switch to the pump.. The pump starts when it senses low pressure ie.. you opened the tap.. and stops when it senses high pressure.. ie you closed the tap ..

If your spout has not tap .. then a very simple and cheap method is to have a push switch to turn the pump on and off.. much like a door bell switch.. this can be mounted near the sink.. not as convenient but cheap and simple.

something like this.. look in Maplins .. or any DIY

TSW-PLUS-5_small.jpg
Thanks again for your reply. The spout does not have a tap so the water goes straight from water pipe through the spout. Does this mean that I can put in a switch as you have described, straight from switch to the whale pump which would be nice and easy Or does it still need the pressure switch. hopefully not. Would I need to put an in line non return valve if I can just wire switch to pump................Bruce

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks again for your reply. The spout does not have a tap so the water goes straight from water pipe through the spout. [HI]Does this mean that I can put in a switch as you have described, straight from switch to the whale pump which would be nice and easy[/HI] Or does it still need the pressure switch. hopefully not. Would I need to put an in line non return valve if I can just wire switch to pump................Bruce

yes.. that is correct , using a push switch, no pressure switch required..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
yes.. that is correct , using a push switch, no pressure switch required..
Just to be sure do I put in a non return valve. Thank you very much for all your help............Bruce
ps maybe you will one day see a pic of the camper . maybe!!!!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just to be sure do I put in a[HI] non return valve[/HI]. Thank you very much for all your help............Bruce
ps maybe you will one day see a pic of the camper . maybe!!!!

not required Bruce..

yes.. post a pic when you get around to it :Smile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Bruce get a pump like/from Johns cross :thumb:and either a car switch or a simple HOUSE surface mounted backbox and a light switch wired up to pump - switch - battery that way you can leave tap turned on and simply switch water on and off when needed --tenner for pump about 3 quid for light switch an back box --assume you have wire so 13 quid all in :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

http://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-1-gang-2-way-10ax-switch/24275
http://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-1-gang-29mm-moulded-box/44952
if you go down this route then ask for a RETRACTABLE switch.

basically it only works while held in, just the same as the switch posted by Jim...push to work, release to stop.

I must say Jims offering is far more pleasing to the eye though.

or even neater.....

Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Have you seen the prices of retractable switches John :Eeek: Bruce asked for easy and cheapest :thumb: hence a two quid switch and back box that will look ok screwed to the side of his sink cupboard ::bigsmile:
Terry

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you seen the prices of retractable switches John :Eeek: Bruce asked for easy and cheapest :thumb: hence a two quid switch and back box that will look ok screwed to the side of his sink cupboard ::bigsmile:
Terry
this one is £2.59 from maplins

Broken Link Removed

this one is just £1.13 from Amazon

21mBX76ErnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

much neater than a 4" x 4" plastic switch

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
this one is £2.59 from maplins

Broken Link Removed

this one is just £1.13 from Amazon

21mBX76ErnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

much neater than a 4" x 4" plastic switch

:thumb:THE ones I looked at ranged from £9 to £23 :Eeek: either way a good cheap solution :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back