Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Whilst in Calais waiting for the ferry I was cooking quite happily when the glass cover on the hob exploded in my face showering glass all over the van and throwing some shards at least ten feet into the cab. Fortunately I wasn't injured (only a few little cuts)and my 4 year old also got a narrow escape.
The hob is a Spinflo one made by Thetford. So I contacted them and they told me that the glass had shattered according to European safety norms!!! It did shatter into small pieces, which is a safety feature and does this if there is a small fracture or similar in the glass. I accept that, but the fact that it threw glass with some force in my face is, in my opinion, a major safety issue that Thetford are not facing up to.
Any thoughts appreciated
Thanks

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Have you tried googling this?

It might give you some clues.

If not refer it to the HSE.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
you are supposed to open the glass cover when ya cooking :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My lad made a cuppa coffee the other day, milk in a brand new "Pyrex" jug in the microwave.. poured milk in coffee mugs and rinsed the jug under the cold tap...

"BANG" and he was stood there with just a handle in his hand and glass all over the kitchen...:Sad:

We have got old Pyrex milk jugs that date back 20 - 30 years and it has never happened...

I know Hot dish, cold water and all that but never before...

Perhaps these days things are not made as well.. :Sad:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
maybe he is in a hard water area:roflmto::roflmto:

:Doh::ROFLMAO: Actually we are in a soft`ish water area... :Cool:

Never have to descale our kettle, and always if possible take our own water in the RV... :Tongue1::ROFLMAO:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

/ same thing happened to me in my [then new] flash 08 second time [bit drastic i now] i changed the van to an allegro 96 comming up 4 yrs now no issue as yet QsameUOTE=kelpbeds;738182]Whilst in Calais waiting for the ferry I was cooking quite happily when the glass cover on the hob exploded in my face showering glass all over the van and throwing some shards at least ten feet into the cab. Fortunately I wasn't injured (only a few little cuts)and my 4 year old also got a narrow escape.
The hob is a Spinflo one made by Thetford. So I contacted them and they told me that the glass had shattered according to European safety norms!!! It did shatter into small pieces, which is a safety feature and does this if there is a small fracture or similar in the glass. I accept that, but the fact that it threw glass with some force in my face is, in my opinion, a major safety issue that Thetford are not facing up to.
Any thoughts appreciated
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
My lad made a cuppa coffee the other day, milk in a brand new "Pyrex" jug in the microwave.. poured milk in coffee mugs and rinsed the jug under the cold tap...

"BANG" and he was stood there with just a handle in his hand and glass all over the kitchen...:Sad:

You're not alone

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6Ww6RreT4"]Exploding Pyrex jug - YouTube[/ame]

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
The door on our grill in our Chausson Flash 03 also shattered (fortunately when we were out - but it was a bit of a "CSI motorhome" scenario when we got back!).

What I don't understand is why they don't just use a metal door? You can't use the grill with the door shut, so there's no need for it to be transparent.

Just got a replacement, £84 from Leisure Spares. Arrived day after I ordered it. Hope it lasts...

Steve :Smile:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I had a similar problem with a large double glazed unit in an office block atrium.The unit (6m x 1m) exploded from 10m up ,luckily it was at night ,so no one was injured.
This a rare occurrence caused by a nickel sulphide inclusion in the glass, so small it can only be detected under a microscope.The heat soak process of toughening normally removes the said item, but very rarely some get through.
Even after years the glass can suddenly loose tension and shatter due to heat change. Be aware also that catching your cooker cover with, say a diamond ring will also have the same effect !

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I had a similar problem with a large double glazed unit in an office block atrium.The unit (6m x 1m) exploded from 10m up ,luckily it was at night ,so no one was injured.
This a rare occurrence caused by a nickel sulphide inclusion in the glass, so small it can only be detected under a microscope.The heat soak process of toughening normally removes the said item, but very rarely some get through.
Even after years the glass can suddenly loose tension and shatter due to heat change. Be aware also that catching your cooker cover with, say a diamond ring will also have the same effect !

That is quite interesting, especially as yesterday I was going through laws regarding return of goods etc for the new web store which will be going up if I ever work the thing out.

One thing I was never aware of ( and i keep up on these things) even if goods are used and second hand, if the fault has come from factory then the manufacturer is responsible even if outside of the warranty. This is due to it being below standard when first sold.

I was very surprised, and would love to hear if anyone has managed to use that and hold a manufacturer responsible! I assume to onus would be to prove the fault, but with evidence such as that supporting it, it may just work.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So much for our safety regulations, or it appears they are not as good for certain items.
Two years ago we had an oven door explode on a Spinflo cooker. My wife was hospitalised and had several teristrips put on her legs and feet. After complaining the usual answers came along out of the excuse textbook. They didn't give a damn and as usual nothing was done about it.
I have a friend who converts motorhomes and he say's it is a very common problem but the manufacturers will normally reply with the usual haven't heard of that before. They get away with it by blaming the operative in some way.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I had a similar problem with a microwave oven at home.

It is a combination oven with convection oven as well as microwave. It came with a glass turntable which kept breaking. Impressed into the glass is 'For Microwave Use Only' but you cannot use the oven without it!

After buying 2 replacements, I contacted the manufacturers who denied any responsibility but sent me another one as a gesture of goodwill.

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Thanks for all the replies folks, interesting to hear others have had the same problem. Pretty disgusting that the manufactures do nothing about it. Will try and pursue it and see how I get on. May well give HSE a shout and get their opinion on it.

Cheers

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
pyrex

Hi where is pyrex made France say no more .:Angry:

Apr 30, 2008
South Beds
Funster No
Exp
27yrs ish
Thanks for all the replies folks, interesting to hear others have had the same problem. Pretty disgusting that the manufactures do nothing about it. Will try and pursue it and see how I get on. May well give HSE a shout and get their opinion on it.

Cheers

I've had two Spinflo ones go in a 2003 Elddis. Not the glass top over the cooker but the one over the sink.(twice)
One in France 2006; the other here about a year before - overnight.
On both occasions I contacted Spinflo and asked if they were part of a bad batch as they had not been in use anyway near the time.
Next day or so new one arrived foc.(twice)
Maybe now they have got fedup with foc!

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
materials probably made in china,should come with a safety and use warning,

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
I've had two Spinflo ones go in a 2003 Elddis. Not the glass top over the cooker but the one over the sink.(twice)
One in France 2006; the other here about a year before - overnight.
On both occasions I contacted Spinflo and asked if they were part of a bad batch as they had not been in use anyway near the time.
Next day or so new one arrived foc.(twice)
Maybe now they have got fedup with foc!

Interesting, did they go fairly soon after they were new or were they over a year old when they went?

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back