Giving Motorhomers a bad name (1 Viewer)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We live next to the camperstop at Totana and, although officially closed, when people arrive they are allowed to stay. So although we have had only a small number of people using the camperstop they have generally been very friendly and happy with their environment here and we and the owners have been very pleased to welcome them here.

However ... we have had a few incidences which have made us sad.

When only two British motorhomes were on site (both with dogs) we found dog sh1t in the picnic area, neatly covered over with gravel after they had left.

One British couple were seen (by a fellow motorhomer and also on the camera) to empty grey and black water, fill up with fresh water and then attempt to leave. Thanks to the other motorhomer they were stopped and asked to pay. They then paid and stayed one night!

A decorative clay water bottle that used to hang in a tree has been taken.

A German motorhome left without paying (and just after speaking to the owner).

As separate incidents they are all quite petty but still they do not give motorhomers a good name.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We live next to the camperstop at Totana and, although officially closed, when people arrive they are allowed to stay. So although we have had only a small number of people using the camperstop they have generally been very friendly and happy with their environment here and we and the owners have been very pleased to welcome them here.
When only two British motorhomes were on site (both with dogs) we found dog sh1t in the picnic area, neatly covered over with gravel after they had left.
One British couple were seen (by a fellow motorhomer and also on the camera) to empty grey and black water, fill up with fresh water and then attempt to leave. Thanks to the other motorhomer they were stopped and asked to pay. They then paid and stayed one night!
As separate incidents they are all quite petty but still they do not give motorhomers a good name.
You dont have to travel abroad to see this behaviour, most car parks around our coast suffer similar abuse. :Sad:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
It all gives the "ban 'em all" lobby more ammunition, unfortunately.
There will be good and bad everywhere, but in the end I suppose we have to police ourselves.
A similar thing has occured at a farm near us where we buy eggs. There is an honesty box to pay and you serve yourselves. They have had to put up cctv because of thefts of eggs and the money.
So far they have caught two women, who are known to them and us, and they are prosecuting. This was on seperate occasions and the women are not connected with each other.
Sad really. :Sad:

For Popeye. More farmers that I know :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not just motorhomers

We stopped in the services on the way home from Folkstone the other day to make a brew. Two nice caravans hooked up to a pair of expensive 4x4 parked next to us obviously for the same reason. When they left the mess they left on the ground was disgusting, they'd basically emptied their caravans of all the rubbish food scraps and litter straight out the door onto the parking area. Worse still there was an empty litter bin within 20 yds.

And before anyone suggests it they were'nt gyppos even though they behaved like em.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I try to operate in the mindset that the only thing I want to leave behind is thanks and the only thing I want to take away is an invite to return.:thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
It is the duty of all of us to stop this .

But the few and i do mean few motorhomers that do this make it bad for all of us.

If ever I have been refused overnight parking that reason as always been the dirt left behind by others.

But these people are not real motorhomers they drive motorhomes.

But folk only see a motorhome not the people in them.

So we are all tarred with the same brush.

But I think{hope} no funster whould do this so lets have more funsters.

Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
And before anyone suggests it they were'nt gyppos even though they behaved like em.

Actually most travelers caravans dont have rubish in them they are immaculate.

I am notsaying our traveling friends dont leave rubbish.

Mel

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Soo sorry to hear about this my friend.

This is the site we spent most time at in Spain. Nowhere on earth could we have been made more welcome! The site is pristine and a great deal of hard work has gone into it.

So sad to hear of people (animals) like this!!! :Angry:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
its not the animal's ,its the humans behaving like animals, real sad, example m and i pulled into a park area to have a bite to eat and a drink whilst we were transiting Italy, no more than 10mins later a German motorhome pulled right next to us, 2 mins later the smell from out side was awful , so i got out and marched over to the German,he made a excuse that his waste tank was leaking,and then i saw the valve open,after a few choice word IN HIS LANGUAGE ,he then shut the valve and after another few words i had him cleaning the mess up with his on fresh water, around of applause came from M and our kids making the germane so Red faced, to end this i do believe the Human race can act so disgusting it does not matter which country they from ,Rant over

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We were cycling near Aguilas and slowly riding up a steep hill when a French motorhome passed us. When we got to the top of the hill there is a rough gravel parking area where we hoped to stop for a rest but a few metres from the road was a pool of toilet waste, paper and blue fluid. They couldn´t even be bothered to empty it discretely in the bushes. Obviously just pulled over and hidden by the van emptied their toilet and drove off.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I stopped in a lay by on the A299 Thanet way this morning which i use every day but have never before stopped because its alway full of Articulated lorries from all over Europe who park over night.I couldnt beleive my eyes.Chocker block with all there rubbish, hundreds of bottles full of urine and even piles of human excriment.Absolute filth.People wonder what motorhomers do with all their waste and i would like to think most are responsible,but does anybody stop to think what these lorry drivers do with theirs?They should be stopped parking in our lay-bys and treating them like toilets ,and lets face it there are alot more foreign lorries on that stretch than there are british.

Last edited:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
I work on a campsite, some people leave all sorts lying around on pitches. Dogs muck, dirty nappies, rubbish strewn all over the place. For the most part most people are good but nothing surprises or shocks me any more. Especially in toilets and showers.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
I stopped in a lay by on the A299 Thanet way this morning which i use every day but have never before stopped because its alway full of Articulated lorries from all over Europe who park over night.I couldnt beleive my eyes.Chocker block with all there rubbish, hundreds of bottles full of urine and even piles of human excriment.Absolute filth.People wonder what motorhomers do with all their waste and i would like to think most are responsible,but does anybody stop to think what these lorry drivers do with theirs?They should be stopped parking in our lay-bys and treating them like toilets ,and lets face it there are alot more foreign lorries on that stretch than there are british.

Sorry stop them leaving dirt yes stop them sleeping in lay by NO.

Where else do they sleep?

UK needs to treet HGV drivers with a bit more respect.
UK very expensive truck parks most drivers have to pay it out of wages.

And once again not all are dirty.

Mainland Europe has truck parking mostare free or small cost.

This is the problem of one dirty trucker all dirty truckers

One dirty motorhomer all dirty motorhomers

Mel

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Sorry stop them leaving dirt yes stop them sleeping in lay by NO.

Where else do they sleep?

UK needs to treet HGV drivers with a bit more respect.
UK very expensive truck parks most drivers have to pay it out of wages.

And once again not all are dirty.

Mainland Europe has truck parking mostare free or small cost.

This is the problem of one dirty trucker all dirty truckers

One dirty motorhomer all dirty motorhomers

Mel

Beleive me its more than one dirty trucker and its only them that stop there.its filth

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Beleive me its more than one dirty trucker and its only them that stop there.its filth

Sorry if its only them that stop there .
how come you said you stop there every day.

My point is there are people that say all builders are cowboys :ROFLMAO:

But i am sure you feel that is incorrect.

Mel

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

One British couple were seen ([HI]by a fellow motorhomer and also on the camera[/HI]) to empty grey and black water, fill up with fresh water and then attempt to leave. Thanks to the other motorhomer they were stopped and asked to pay. They then paid and stayed one night!

Well they should be NAMED and SHAMED by this I mean we have to police our own hobby, [HI]so take a photo of the offending MH or caravan and post it on here[/HI] that way we can see the reg or photo of the offender. If they are members of this forum ( and I hope not ) then they are take the flack.......

Such a shame this happens.

Deleted User
Not condoning any of this but as I have spent most of my working life on the road I do feel qualified to comment. Truck drivers often have no alternative to parking in lay byes as most towns and cities throughout the UK do not like trucks ( they think that all the goods for sale in there patch come in on a magic carpet !!) or truck parks anywhere near, Drivers are subject to strict working time regulation and are often forced to park in lay byes, industrial estates or wherever they can find....with no facilities whatsoever. A p**s bottle is a fact of life (no cassette toilets in trucks) but should be disposed off correctly, the alternative is p***g on the ground and we all know what that smells like( a French lay bye ??). What exactly would you do when you wake up in the morning busting for a c**p, it happens and there are ways and means but not pleasant. Some drivers perhaps have the attitude that if this is the way that society treats them then............

Not condoning these actions at all and never personally left a mess, no driver likes having to park for the night in lay byes.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Mel

i use the 299 every day and cant stop there because its always full of sleeping truck drivers,sorry i wasnt so clear.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Mel

Did you want to get personal meow?

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Not condoning any of this but as I have spent most of my working life on the road I do feel qualified to comment. Truck drivers often have no alternative to parking in lay byes as most towns and cities throughout the UK do not like trucks ( they think that all the goods for sale in there patch come in on a magic carpet !!) or truck parks anywhere near, Drivers are subject to strict working time regulation and are often forced to park in lay byes, industrial estates or wherever they can find....with no facilities whatsoever. A p**s bottle is a fact of life (no cassette toilets in trucks) but should be disposed off correctly, the alternative is p***g on the ground and we all know what that smells like( a French lay bye ??). What exactly would you do when you wake up in the morning busting for a c**p, it happens and there are ways and means but not pleasant. Some drivers perhaps have the attitude that if this is the way that society treats them then............

Not condoning these actions at all and never personally left a mess, no driver likes having to park for the night in lay byes.

Maybe they could invest in a porta potty ,as youve said they know whats what?

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I totally agree with what your saying regards lorry parks etc but these costs should be accounted for.I beleive a lot of truckers get night out money to cover this but choose the layby option and pockrt the monies?I just feel they should be more considerate ,after all they chose their vocation in life.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I feel only truckers can comment on truckers, not people who have never done the job.
Night out money is around £20 per night, this is to pay for a meal and the inconvenience of being away from home and the family etc, not for stopping at the overpriced service stations that are costing well over the £20 mark alone.
A lot of operators will not pay for the parking unless you have a high value load,

Deleted User
I totally agree with what your saying regards lorry parks etc but these costs should be accounted for.I beleive a lot of truckers get night out money to cover this but choose the layby option and pockrt the monies?I just feel they should be more considerate ,after all they chose their vocation in life.

You try getting onto the HGV parking area on most MSA's in the evening, nigh on impossible on most (can't get on for motorhomes:roflmto:) They now charge around £25 and can't even keep the showers working ( hard to believe I know but some truckers do like to shower)::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry but I was a trucker in a previous life and it is no excuse for filth. There are ways and means like a carrier bag and dispose of it sensibly. :Angry:

Deleted User
Sorry but I was a trucker in a previous life and it is no excuse for filth. There are ways and means like a carrier bag and dispose of it sensibly. :Angry:

[HI] Not condoning any of this [/HI]but as I have spent most of my working life on the road I do feel qualified to comment. Truck drivers often have no alternative to parking in lay byes as most towns and cities throughout the UK do not like trucks ( they think that all the goods for sale in there patch come in on a magic carpet !!) or truck parks anywhere near, Drivers are subject to strict working time regulation and are often forced to park in lay byes, industrial estates or wherever they can find....with no facilities whatsoever. A p**s bottle is a fact of life (no cassette toilets in trucks) but should be disposed off correctly, the alternative is p***g on the ground and we all know what that smells like( a French lay bye ??). What exactly would you do when you wake up in the morning busting for a c**p, it happens and[HI] there are ways and means but not pleasant.[/HI] Some drivers perhaps have the attitude that if this is the way that society treats them then............

[HI]Not condoning these actions at all and never personally left a mess, no driver likes having to park for the night in lay byes.
[/HI] :Smile::Smile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have worked in the transport industry for a lot of my life, and I detest drivers who are too lazy to clean up after themselves and leave foul rubbish in lay-bys' or where ever they happen to be parked.
It is not unusual (no, not Tom Jones time) to wake up when parked up in a truck stop to find the lazy git who was parked next to you has dumped a bag of rubbish out of his cab because he was to ignorant to dispose of it properly.
There is no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

Someone posted earlier about porta pottis in cabs.
If there was enough room I am sure loads of drivers would have them. Me being one of them. As it is, there is just enough room in a modern high roof cab to stand up and get dressed. They make VW campers look massive inside.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
It was a reply to this post

Not a defence of the dirty truckers that leave their waste and rubbish behind,
I Never left any rubbish behind unless a bin was provided, and the company I worked for would not pay the parking costs so I had to stop in lay-bys otherwise I would be spending my own money to park their truck, Would you do this?

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
You try getting onto the HGV parking area on most MSA's in the evening, nigh on impossible on most (can't get on for motorhomes:roflmto:) They now charge around £25 and can't even keep the showers working ( hard to believe I know but some truckers do like to shower)::bigsmile:

I said before,people choose their own path,i drove a lorry for a short time but found it soul destroying(not suited to me ) I never once felt the need to chuck a bottle of urine or pile of shit at the roadside. When i did drive i planned my route brst i could for breaks.(obviously shit happens) Where these lorries stop (normally the same logos on the trailers ) is only 20 mins from medway services.They stop here because they choose not to pay.Fair enough but take your sh t and p ss with you. Or stop off and use a toilet on route.They do the same route week after week,they know the coo.They know they can dump their waste in a lay-by.::bigsmile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
It was a reply to this post

Not a defence of the dirty truckers that leave their waste and rubbish behind,
I Never left any rubbish behind unless a bin was provided, and the company I worked for would not pay the parking costs so I had to stop in lay-bys otherwise I would be spending my own money to park their truck, Would you do this?

On the rare occasion i did have to stay out at night i got paid,if not i used to tell them i only had enough driving time to get home and not for that EXTRA pick up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back