towing a single axle trailer (1 Viewer)

E

erik

Deleted User
I have a pug 107 that I wish to tow on a trailer. I have seen the Brian James Micromax and the Bantam GT - both have minimum overhang when the car is loaded as they only have a 10ft bed length but have a single axle. Does anyone tow either of these trailers with a similar car on load (C1 or Aygo are the same and weigh approx 850kg) as I am worried about snaking and or stability in the event of a puncture? New to the motorhome scene so any view appreciated.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi erik we tow a micra on a BJ single axle trailer with our RV and before that with a eurovan, never had any inkling of snaking with either.

Had a puncture last year and didn't realise until it destroyed the rim and dropped down on to the side mounted spare, it was the noise of the spare wearing through to the steel belts and the sparks, that finally woke me up to the fact that all was not well. :Blush:

I had to buy two tyres and one new rim. Trust me you won't even know its there.

Olley

PS pic. of the rim, Geo reckoned he could fix it for me.

Attachments

• DSCN5675.jpg
    DSCN5675.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having towed trailers the length and breadth of the Uk
I can confirm what Ian has said single, Professional single axle trailers do what they should,and are much more easy to manoeuvre when empty or full, the down side is punctures have to be sorted straight away, or suffer as Ian did
Two axle trailers are more stable at speed, punctures are not normally noticed on one tyre till you get to your destination, and no fear of rim damage to the flat tyre, users of twin axle set ups will tell you you can jack up on the jockey wheel to make manoeuvring easyer, not recomended on grass or rough ground or loaded, if you value your jocky wheel
home made trailors should be avoided at all costs unless the guy is a welder and or engineer and understands the basic rules, i've seen many horrorible home made jobbies:Eeek:
Geo
Edit--- avoid unloading while still atatched to towing vehicle unless rear steadies are used

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

We have a Brian James single axle Bantam trailer which we load with a Smart car.

We have towed it with a both Jeep Grand Cherokee and an RV. Behind the RV we don't even know it is there and have never seen it (in rear view camera) do anything other than follow us perfectly.

Behind the Jeep is a similar story, never had any concerns at all :thumb:

HTH

Bryan

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi erik the downside of towing a trailer is when you are on a campsite, the space you need for the Rv, trailer and car some sites will charge you two pitches or make you leave it in a carpark I have allways used a A-frame and a light car weighin less than 750k and it works well, some sites still try and charge for a extra car which dont make sence as all the caravans have cars
Paul

Upvote 0
M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi all, I tow a benderup box trailer for the quad bike, its single axle and no you don,t know its there, I have the camera giving me a view of it when driving. after 20,000 miles behind the hymer we have been ok,only been a pain once when went the wrong way down a narrow street then the single axle tracks a bit more then a double,
michael

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

erik

Deleted User
Ref trailer towing

I have a pug 107 that I wish to tow on a trailer. I have seen the Brian James Micromax and the Bantam GT - both have minimum overhang when the car is loaded as they only have a 10ft bed length but have a single axle. Does anyone tow either of these trailers with a similar car on load (C1 or Aygo are the same and weigh approx 850kg) as I am worried about snaking and or stability in the event of a puncture? New to the motorhome scene so any view appreciated.

Many thanks all, I am going to look at them at Peterborough show and will make up my mind which to get then. Your comments make me feel more confidant about the single axle trailer. Regards the A-frame method I have followed all the arguments for and against and am persuaded that for European touring I am safer/legal on a trailer and do not want to modify my brand new car with a new cross member and possible risk to pedestrians in the event of a bump. In a few years when the car warranty is out I may look at the A-frame for UK touring unless it is banned by then!
Erik

Upvote 0

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
After towing a trailer for a few thousand miles and having all the problems of what to do with it and how to secure it from tea leaves every time we stopped on a site I saw the light and went the A frame route. What a difference, unhook in seconds, stow the frame in front of the passenger seat in the M/H, job done. Nothing but admiring and envious glances from all the locals on site wherever weve been even from the local gendarmerie.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

erik

Deleted User
trailer towing

I have now ordered a Bantam GT for my Pug 107 and wonder if anyone who has one - or similar - got any recommendation for security devices to stop the tea leaves? I am getting the lockable alko head but think a wheel clamp would be a good idea. Any proposals for quality, cost and ease of fitting? PS I note the final link in the thread and have decided to stay with the current decision of not modifying the 107 till it goes out of gtee.

Upvote 0
M

michaelc

Deleted User
wheel clamp

Hi, I use a london wheel clamp as used by the pro clampers, but when we are on site or just parked up for some time I use a chain and padlock from trailer and around the towbar, I found out the hard way when my boat and trailer got nicked when I was parked, that just because I could not move the loaded trailer that the toe rags can,t.
terry

Upvote 0

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Doubt that theres a clamp that they couldnt get past given a little time. When I pulled a trailer I spent a hundred quid on a proper uncuttable security Padlock & chain that I used to put through the frame and then round a substantial tree or other imovable object.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this may sound stupid but if your onsite for a week or two just remove the wheels.
they may carry bolt croppers ect but they wont carry wheels.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having spent over tweny years in motor sport where trailers are an every day ocurance, I have on ocasions had to remove a trailer security device or two, when an injured driver has been whisked away to hospital with the security device keys whereabouts unknown, leaving family and freinds to get his car and trailer home, despite having disc cutters ,bolt croppers and virtual workshops to hand the device below consistantley gave us the most problems removing it, if you go this way for heavens sake dont loose the key
Geo

Attachments

• ball.jpg
    ball.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
So much easier to buy an A frame. Ive been there done all that with trailers for cars , boats, animals etc. At the end of the day they are a pain in the proverbial.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back