I'll dog.any advice welcome (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Long story short. We got up this morning to find our oldest collie not too well. The vet reckons it is idiopathic vestibular disease. Any fellow dog owners got experience of this? :Sad:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Long story short. We got up this morning to find our oldest collie not too well. The vet reckons it is idiopathic vestibular disease. Any fellow dog owners got experience of this? :Sad:

hope all goes well with your collie

i gogled and found this for you

Link Removed

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
A fairly common reason for a veterinary visit is the concern that an older dog has had a stroke, when he suddenly starts walking like a drunken sailor with his head tilted. I know of other cases, where these sorts of symptoms are assumed to be a brain tumor and the dog is euthanized—maybe unnecessarily. (The condition plays a role in the new Hallmark movie, Duke.)
Well, I want to shed some light on a much more common and less concerning cause of these and other disturbing signs, something known as idiopathic vestibular disease, in case it is something you ever experience with your own geriatric dog.
Idiopathic (meaning unknown cause, think: idiot) vestibular disease is a syndrome that looks really, really bad, but usually gets better all on its own with little or no treatment.
The vestibular system
The vestibular system is composed of portions of the brain and ear and is responsible for maintaining a sense of balance. When something goes wrong with this system, it’s like being drunk on a rocky boat. Dogs with idiopathic vestibular disease have some combination of the following signs:

• A head tilt,
  • An unsteady gait, loss of balance, or falling over,
  • Circling in one direction,
  • Eyes rapidly moving from side to side, known as nystagmus,
  • Sudden vomiting.
These videos[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]LiBSPxDeDn8[/MEDIA]"] show a dog with mild, but very typical, vestibular signs[/ame] and another[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]eqwW81CpUwE[/MEDIA]"] dog with more severe signs[/ame].
Now for the caveat: These clinical signs are unfortunately not unique, or diagnostic for, idiopathic vestibular disease and other things can cause this same presentation. These can include (yes) a brain tumor, an inner ear infection, inflammatory disease or sudden bleeds into the brain—to name a few. But with that being said, when the symptoms seemingly appear out of nowhere in an older dog, I always recommend a “wait-and-see approach,” treating symptomatically and supportively, as there is a good chance of improvement.
Wait-and-see approach
For a dog showing the above signs, I first discuss the possible causes. Next, I recommend blood work and a blood pressure check to make sure there is no “obvious” disease. I discuss the availability of an MRI to evaluate the inner ear and brain. Although an MRI allows for the best evaluation of disease, it is often not pursued due to cost (about $1,500 here in the Bay Area).
I examine both ear canals, and if an infection is suspected, I discuss antibiotic therapy, as inner ear disease is one of the possible causes of vestibular signs. The inner ear (pictured below) is something you cannot see during an exam because the eardrum obscures the view to the inner ear. The eardrum is like a closed door that sits in front of the middle and inner ear. However, if there is a nasty looking outer ear and an inflamed eardrum, there is a chance that inner ear disease could be present as well.
innerear_200h.jpg

If the dog’s clinical signs are so severe that they cannot walk, I then recommend supportive care with IV fluids and injectable anti-nausea medications. Urinary catheters are sometimes placed for hygienic reasons. If clinical signs are mild, pets can often be managed at home with over-the-counter meclizine (for the feelings of “motion sickness” they experience). We also provide instructions for general nursing care as well as how to protect from falls.
The conversation ends with discussing a very loose rule of thumb: If there is gradual or complete improvement within 72 hours, it is likely idiopathic vestibular disease and additional diagnostic testing is not necessary. If there is no improvement or progression of signs, it is likely something much more serious, such as a tumor, and an MRI would be recommended to reach a definitive diagnosis. With idiopathic vestibular disease, marked improvement is usually evident in this time frame, with the pet returning to normal in 7 to 14 days (although in some dogs, a head tilt will still persist).
It should also be noted that this is not a painful condition, and my recommendations stem from the fact that euthanasia is a permanent decision, so why not wait and see, giving time a chance? There is a high likelihood that improvement will be seen and the difficult decision of euthanasia can always be made at a later date if there is no improvement or if there is a change in your pet’s quality of life. I feel there is reason to hold out hope and be cautiously optimistic, as idiopathic vestibular disease is the most common form of vestibular disease in dogs. It is the direction I would take if it were my own boy experiencing this.

Hope it helps a bit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
we hope your dog gets better real soon, its always a worry as they get into there older age, our dog Bamse seen on the photo is now 13yrs and last year we thought he was not going to see the winter through, then we were talking with a friend of ours, she has German Shepard dogs, and told us to try this ,its called BioGlucomin its in powder form and we mix it with his food once a day, they use this also for horses over here to build up there system as a power booster,we have seen great improvement in Bamse, and he's like a new dog again, it took about 3 months to start seeing the effect, + i give him one aday omega3 capsule , so please read up on this Bioglucomin, and hope it works for your dog as it has done ours, all our best alfandm.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This is why I don't have a dog anymore:Sad:

Had a Labrador and an Alsatian when I was growing up and they both broke my heart.

I really hope your dog recovers:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
That is the same stuff a Funster on here told me about but told me to get the Horse one as it lasts 10 times as long I have been giving my dog it and she has not got any worse with the stiffness of joints 5 ml per day on her food

Link Removed

if that Funster reads this thank you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
That is the same stuff a Funster on here told me about but told me to get the Horse one as it lasts 10 times as long I have been giving my dog it and she has not got any worse with the stiffness of joints 5 ml per day on her food

Link Removed

if that Funster reads this thank you

Yes that is correct we always get the horse one its no different and its cheaper here all it has is different label on the container ,we think its amazing our well it has done for Bamse our dog, and hope it does as good for gordons dog too, + any other dog onwners ,give it a try,we wish we had found out about this years ago, alf.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back