foreign MH (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2013
86290 Les Grandes Hérolles, Coulonges, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp 655 GT
Exp
we are newbies
Hi all, we are now stepping up a gear re Full timing from Jan 2014.
Question : we are going to purchase a left hooker , but should I buy it abroad so everything is compatible with EU regs , ie lights ,drivers door , foreign plate ??
This will be one of many questions ,sorry
S&L

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
would have thought that youd get a better selection of LHD and perhaps price over the water.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Question : we are going to purchase a left hooker , but should I buy it abroad so everything is compatible with EU regs , ie lights ,drivers door , foreign plate ??
S&L

i would sooner drive a left hooker on the continent
than a right hander

but if i traveled equally in both parts the left hooker would win
being familiar with the driving in the uk

but i havent driven in europe yet :cry::Doh:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Is it to be registered in the UK? If so, then it will need some conversion if you buy abroad: speedo, rear fog and reversing lights switched, headlight dip altered. If you buy a LHD over here that may already have been done by the previous owner or the selling dealer. As a european vehicle, it will have been produced to EU regulations regardless of whether it is a RHD or LHD.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I've had 3 Left Hookers all bought in the UK.

Unless the Euro is weak (which it isn't and hasn't been for some time ) you can buy cheaper in the UK, but with less choice obviously.

Not sure why you would want it to be Euro spec. if you plan to register it in the UK.

Pete

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
S&L

The issue is where you want to register it. It you want to register in the UK, all those nice lights set up for Europe will need to be replaced anyway, so you might as well buy something already converted in the UK. Registering outside the UK could be a nightmare of foreign bureaucracy if you've never lived there and have no address.

There is no problem registering LHD vehicles in the UK. Mine is LHD. I intend to spend about as much time in Europe as UK, so didn't really care which side the door was on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as posted above, you will not be able to keep a foreign plate unless you have a bona-fide address in the country of original registration.

then it would need insuring, MOT (if required) and any road tax in force in that country

not worth the trouble.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Foreign Motorhome

I thought that left hand drives were cheaper in the UK, as most want RHD, so this could perhaps work to your advantage pricewise?

The only small benefit I see for a LHD, is for paying tolls in europe.
The insurance may or may not be dearer in the UK.

Perhaps someone can advise on that?

I drive RHD in europe and dont see it as a problem, so I suppose driving LHD in UK is no problem either.

S

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I thought that left hand drives were cheaper in the UK, as most want RHD, so this could perhaps work to your advantage pricewise?

The only small benefit I see for a LHD, is for paying tolls in europe.
The insurance may or may not be dearer in the UK.

Perhaps someone can advise on that?

I drive RHD in europe and dont see it as a problem, so I suppose driving LHD in UK is no problem either.

S

Indeed. Having the driver on the wrong side is no problem at all. It makes overtaking more difficult, had that is rarely an issue when you weigh 5 tonnes and the idea of going over 50mph makes you shudder at the fuel economy.

Insurance was dirt cheap, really. 350 quid fully comp with zero no-claims. But then, it is on a classic policy, which probably helps.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Indeed. Having the driver on the wrong side is no problem at all. It makes overtaking more difficult, had that is rarely an issue when you weigh 5 tonnes and the idea of going over 50mph makes you shudder at the fuel economy.

Insurance was dirt cheap, really. 350 quid fully comp with zero no-claims. But then, it is on a classic policy, which probably helps.

P.S. The bigger problem than the driver's side is the side of the habitation door. You have to get into the habit of parking on the RHS of the road to make it safer for the kids. On sites it isn't an issue, just park opposite direction to the UK layouts if you don't want to face doors.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Putting the registration aspect to one side (left or right...) I'm sure that the prices in Europe would be cheaper. I can only comment on the fact that there are many more MH's here and new prices appear to be lower to stat with. I'm sure it will depend on brand and models etc but also keep in mind that UK specs tend to be higher, cookers are unheard of in a Euro van.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Buy in the UK it is far simpler, end of story.

Left hooker foreign would be a nightmare unless you live there

Peter

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Our Dethleffs was imported from Germany in 2008. The only modifications were an extra fog-light on the back and beambenders on the headlights.
In theory the speedo should've had mph on it but no mot'er ever mentioned it.
So when bringing it over to France all we had to do was remove the foglight and the beambenders... (well, haven't actually removed the foglight - it's now just an extra, as the original one has never been touched) .

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
If the vehicle is older than 2012 it will need to be VOSA tested as the EU certificate of conformity has only 51 points and the UK requires 52 . You will also have to have your speedo changed from KPH to MPH (an overlay will do) and a certificate stating this has been done similarly lights front changed (unless the fitted ones have a control to switch the dip either way) rear fog / reversing lights changed over except if you have two of each, I have just been thru all this and will not do it again. :cry:

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
If the vehicle is older than 2012 it will need to be VOSA tested as the EU certificate of conformity has only 51 points and the UK requires 52 . You will also have to have your speedo changed from KPH to MPH (an overlay will do) and a certificate stating this has been done similarly lights front changed (unless the fitted ones have a control to switch the dip either way) rear fog / reversing lights changed over except if you have two of each, I have just been thru all this and will not do it again. :cry:

I've also just imported a MH with a 51 point Certificate of Conformity which was no problem for the Vehicle Certification Agency who issued the required Certificate of Mutual Recognition which if issued means there is no need for a VOSA vehicle inspection. Much to VOSA's disappointment!

I had other issues with the CoC which I think were unique. One being the title of it was in German and the VCA translated it differently so proclaimed it wasn't a CoC. I resolved that only to be told the signature name on the CoC was not an authorised signatory. He was, but more delays. Normally the process is pretty slick.

The lights do need to be changed or switched to a flat beam if the facility allows. Rear fog light to be added or moved to the opposite side and the speedo to read MPH. The speedo can also read of course KPH and other posters are correct in saying that an overlay is accepted. Be aware though that replacing that overlay can be a difficult depending on the vehicle. Also that not all overlays are the same as they are produced as copies of whatever a customer sends to the manufacturer as I found out with the Iveco Daily one. I never knew I was so good with a scalpel!

As far as I am aware nothing needs doing with a reversing light.

Before all this an MOT must be obtained on the chassis number and importantly then a letter signed by a legitimate auto trade business, very carefully worded to state that all the changes have been made. Then with your Certificate of Mutual Recognition you trot orf to DVLA with the necessary forms.

If you don't have a CoC then of course an independent vehicle inspection by VOSA is required but be warned, book well in advance, appointments can be hard to come by.

If it's a LHD you want then the choice on the continent is vast. Preferring German MH's myself I find importing my own the only way to go. The choice here is simply too limiting.

It's true, you will not find many continental vans with full cookers in them but this is absolutely not important for me. Much prefer proper cupboards to an oven I'll rarely use. And while my dear old Mum doesn't mind laboriously emptying the oven/microwave of all the things she stores in them before she can use them, I can't. Bless.

I think the real difficulty in buying abroad is having the time to hunt around. We all know that www.mobile.de is a fantastic source for research but hoofing around to find the "one" can take time if your fussiness is anywhere near my neurotic levels!

I found insuring on a chassis number only was a problem but others haven't. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough. I've now imported two vans, the first was a breeze but that was before March 2012 so the rules were a tad more relaxed. This time was stressy but perhaps more so because I had a schedule to keep. But now as I sit here in my new wagon at the beginning of 'the' trip, I can't say if I would or wouldn't do it again. I think I need a year before I can answer that.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't know why they build motorhomes with only one rear foglight. The saving must be pence and most UK vans spend a lot of time on the continent.

My Rapido has one each side (and two reversing lights too) so OK everywhere.:thumb:

OP
OP
Steve & Lys
Jan 12, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp 655 GT
Exp
we are newbies

WOW , now that what I call a very reply !!!! Once I have gone through all of the great responces I will get back to you.

As an add on we will be full timing in Europe, France, Spain Italy then Eastern Europe , what is the situation with an MOT , please don't say I have to come back every year for an MOT ????

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
WOW , now that what I call a very reply !!!! Once I have gone through all of the great responces I will get back to you.

As an add on we will be full timing in Europe, France, Spain Italy then Eastern Europe , what is the situation with an MOT , please don't say I have to come back every year for an MOT ????

Yes you do!!!!:cry:

And to collect a tax disc, at your registered UK address!
Not to mention renewing your insurance also!

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don't know why they build motorhomes with only one rear foglight. The saving must be pence and most UK vans spend a lot of time on the continent.

My Rapido has one each side (and two reversing lights too) so OK everywhere.:thumb:

Mine had neither of either. I had to fit two of each myself. Although the reverse light has a manual switch, which you have to remember to switch off.

OP
OP
Steve & Lys
Jan 12, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp 655 GT
Exp
we are newbies
Hi Johnand Shell ,
Insurance I can do on line , tax I can get sent to an address where ever I am , BUT this all needs the mot to get the other two , chicken and egg situation :0(
I am sure I saw on the MOT link re a Euro mot starting in 2015 which would work for us as we start our travels in 2014 , so with a fresh mot we should be OK till 2015 ......I hope ???

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've got a left hooker with a KPH speedo, and have never been questioned on it once, during our 8 x years of ownership, by any MOT tester. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We've got a left hooker with a KPH speedo, and have never been questioned on it once, during our 8 x years of ownership, by any MOT tester. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

As I understand it Jock this is not, or has not been, an MOT issue. However, a speedo marked in mph is a legal requirement and lack of it could cause a problem if stopped by the law or in the event of a serious insurance claim. I believe it may not be necessary to mark all speeds, so long as UK speed limits are shown. However, the real problem with DIY 'stick-ons' is that the mph figures must be visible at night: i.e. they must be illuminated. In practice, the simplest solution is to fit a replacement fascia on the speedo unit. I got one from Lockwoods for the Sprinter and I know they make them for most vehicle brands. I notice they've gone up a bit since I bought one in 2007. Mine is indistinguishable from the factory original.
Link Removed

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
As I understand it Jock this is not, or has not been, an MOT issue. However, a speedo marked in mph is a legal requirement and lack of it could cause a problem if stopped by the law or in the event of a serious insurance claim. I believe it may not be necessary to mark all speeds, so long as UK speed limits are shown. However, the real problem with DIY 'stick-ons' is that the mph figures must be visible at night: i.e. they must be illuminated. In practice, the simplest solution is to fit a replacement fascia on the speedo unit. I got one from Lockwoods for the Sprinter and I know they make them for most vehicle brands. I notice they've gone up a bit since I bought one in 2007. Mine is indistinguishable from the factory original.
Link Removed
Thanks Philip.

They don't appear to do one for our year and model of Ducato.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
S&L
one slight problem
living in UK you will not be able to tax insure in Europe with out an address
if you import LHD in to UK for road tax insurance you will need a UK Reg plate
and insurance
if you want to full time in Europe you will have to return to UK for MOT if older then 3 years old

Sorry it is not easy to do
I live full time in my LHD American RV
its not easy as you need a UK address for many things including
motor registration (road tax)
insurance
bank
driving licence

once you try to Buck the system it get hard to do what you want to do

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Buy in the UK it is far simpler, end of story.

Left hooker foreign would be a nightmare unless you live there

Peter
sorry peter I have to take issue with your post

I have had many LHD motorhomes both Euro boxes & American
there are no night mares in driving them here in the UK or in Europe

if the questioner want to use it in Europe he would be better driving LHD
over there

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Clipped.........there are no night mares in driving them here in the UK or in Europe

if the questioner want to use it in Europe he would be better driving LHD
over there
I have to agree entirely Peter. You get used to driving a left hooker here in the UK quite quickly. "Adaptability" is the key word. :Smile:

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
Steve & Lys
Jan 12, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp 655 GT
Exp
we are newbies
to lhd or not , that is the question

Morning all,
Thank you all for your time and comments, its going to be a LHD from over here, registered to our UK address, we will have to come back once a year for the mot, but it will just mean a slight change of plan to hear back to Dover once a year , it could be a lot worse :0)
S&L

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back