Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I thought I'd post this question separately to my other thread.

I am currently considering purchasing a Hymer S550, circa 1994, less than 100k miles.

I have always avoided auto boxes, having seen the expense involved for a couple of friends on cars, although I can see the advantages of having them.

Regarding the above 2.9 non-turbo Merc, are there any opinions regarding the reliability of these auto boxes, and any experiences of problems/costs.
Are you put off buying this era of auto box?

Also, would I be right in thinking that these earlier boxes are non-computer controlled, and does this make them more reliable?

Thanks again.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years

I am currently considering purchasing a Hymer S550, circa 1994, less than 100k miles.

I have always avoided auto boxes, having seen the expense involved for a couple of friends on cars, although I can see the advantages of having them.

Regarding the above 2.9 non-turbo Merc, are there any opinions regarding the reliability of these auto boxes, and any experiences of problems/costs.

Also, would I be right in thinking that these earlier boxes are non-computer controlled, and does this make them more reliable?

Thanks again.

H.i I have a RMB 2.9 Ltr Merc diesle from the late 80s with a auto box. Like he engine they are bomb proof, easy to use. I can change up or bown my geer box quicker than a manuel. They are always in the right gear for the road speed . Only one drawback, they use a little more fuel than a manuel, but in my [humble ] opinion they are well worth the little exta expence.
I have 2 vehicles with an auto box and they have not cost a penny in repairs. Also have run autos for the last 30 + years with noprobs at all. Far more comfatuble than wiggerling your left leg about for mile after mile :ROFLMAO:
Pardon the spelling.

Pudseykeith

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
I'd say no worries if its a old school auto

Avoid the super duper semi auto things they made in the later 90's, a friend of mine bought a new merc sprinter which kept going wrong and eventually was returned for a refund...... After a trip to court etc etc

Mercedes do have a habit of building rubbish some years but people still pay top money:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004

Thanks again.

Sorry should read 2.7 non-turbo.:Doh:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I didn't think MB made a 2.7 litre non-turbo engine. The OM602 engine was used in the T1 van between 1988 and 1995 (model 410D) and that was a 2,874 cc, 5-cylinder unit. Some vans of that vintage had the OM617 engine: 2,998cc 5-cylinder non-turbo.
The OM602 Turbo (2.9L) appeared after 1995 I believe, and the first 2.7 model was the OM612 5-cylinder turbo, used in the Sprinter from 2000.

Sorry to sound pedantic (Wikipedia is my friend) but you might want to check again exactly what engine your proposed Hymer has got.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its an S550 its a 2.4 non turbo 4 cylinder. The auto box like the engine is indestructible. Slow but sure and not very fuel efficient but you will get there and back wherever you are going. If you do have a problem, which is rare, you will be safe in the knowledge that it can be fixed by the local corner shop. All you will ever need to do for a service is oil and filters, no silly elastic band cambelts to worry about.

Posted from sunny Benidorm :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I didn't think MB made a 2.7 litre non-turbo engine. The OM602 engine was used in the T1 van between 1988 and 1995 (model 410D) and that was a 2,874 cc, 5-cylinder unit. Some vans of that vintage had the OM617 engine: 2,998cc 5-cylinder non-turbo.
The OM602 Turbo (2.9L) appeared after 1995 I believe, and the first 2.7 model was the OM612 5-cylinder turbo, used in the Sprinter from 2000.

Sorry to sound pedantic (Wikipedia is my friend) but you might want to check again exactly what engine your proposed Hymer has got.

I was right the first time, is was the 2.9L 5 cylinder:Doh: (I had previously been looking at a later turbo model)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back