Speed cameras (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I know you are supposed to turn the speed cameras off on my sat nav when travelling in France but does the same apply to Spain and Portugal?:Cool:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Don't think so, but JJ will be sure to know about Portugal, and there are plenty of our people (i.e. Funsters) in Spain ATM.

John

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
[HI]I know you are supposed to turn the speed cameras off on my sat nav when travelling in France[/HI] but does the same apply to Spain and Portugal?:Cool:

My sat nav is not the usual sat nav system and it does warn me of speed cameras, but I have no idea how to switch it off, but as I seldom speed does it matter and how will the French know?

Norman

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
They won't unless they stop you. If you have a device on that will detect cameras they will do you! Lovely!

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Changes to the law in France

Since decree n°2012-3 was introduced on 3 January 2012 it has been illegal to be warned about the position of fixed or mobile speed cameras while you are driving in France. If your TomTom navigation device has the Speed Camera service and you continue to use the service, you risk a fine of up to €1500.
New update: TomTom Speed Camera service becomes Danger Zones in France
TomTom had a meeting with the Road Safety Ministry to clarify the situation regarding new and upcoming legislation. As a result, TomTom is introducing a 100% compliant Danger Zones service available in a free download for compatible products.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...0/~/is-the-tomtom-speed-camera-service-legal?

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
I read in a newspaper article that even having a sat nav with speed detector warning capability was now against the law in France even if that function was turned off. The article stated that lots of new cars sold in the UK with inbuilt sat nav will be breaking the french rules and warned motorists not to have them fitted and buy a stand alone sat nav and leave it at home for travel abroad.:Doh:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I read in a newspaper article that even having a sat nav with speed detector warning capability was now against the law in France even if that function was turned off. The article stated that lots of new cars sold in the UK with inbuilt sat nav will be breaking the french rules and warned motorists not to have them fitted and buy a stand alone sat nav and leave it at home for travel abroad.:Doh:

I hope you are not right on that, we would be lost without our sat nav.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I was under the impression that current updates should comply with the laws of whatever country you are in.
My Garmin has not shown speed cameras since the update when it became illegal.

Mike

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Why does anyone need a satnav ... ? :winky:

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
France speed camera

I beleive just switching off the speed camera warning on a sat nav when in France is not sufficient to comply with the regulations. According to Snooper the speed camera function for France has to be disabled. This can only be done when updating the data base and not selecting France for speed camera warning.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Why does anyone need a satnav ... ? :winky:

I assume you are fishing ::bigsmile: I might ask why use maps ? They are out of date when you buy them-especially in Spain-they are also useless in small towns -and-it needs a passenger to read the bloody thing,and if she's bird watching things can go wrong :ROFLMAO:

Mike

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Was that in the DM by any chance? My (German) car does not have a delete option for the navigation and certainly if it didn't have satnav it would be pretty well unsaleable. It does have danger spot warning everywhere (UK and Europe) plus [STRIKE]safety camera [/STRIKE] speed camera warnings. I think I will be brave and carry on driving it through France on my regular business trips:winky:

I don't think that the major manufacturers would produce something so obviously law breaking and sell it on the forecourts. Mine was ordered, built and delivered after the French law came into force. The lawyers would have a field day............

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Changes to the law in France

Since decree n°2012-3 was introduced on 3 January 2012 it has been illegal to be warned about the position of fixed or mobile speed cameras while you are driving in France. If your TomTom navigation device has the Speed Camera service and you continue to use the service, you risk a fine of up to €1500.
New update: TomTom Speed Camera service becomes Danger Zones in France
TomTom had a meeting with the Road Safety Ministry to clarify the situation regarding new and upcoming legislation. As a result, TomTom is introducing a 100% compliant Danger Zones service available in a free download for compatible products.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...0/~/is-the-tomtom-speed-camera-service-legal?
amounts to the same thing then.

theoretically, speed cameras should only be placed in areas of high risk which is exactly what the updated version will show.

same thing, different name. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back