Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Do you need a password to connect to the free wifi at McDonalds in France (or any other free wifi for that matter). If so, where do you get the passwords from?

Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
For McDonalds, No...
Just connect to their signal, open your browser ( or sometimes it does it automatically) and accept the terms.. Bingo, online.
Used it every day over the past week on our return from Spain..:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sometimes i have found that macdonalds signal in their car park is very low thats why i always use the booster also good for intermache some of them like you to use their wifi for free as well :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
all depends on the wifi

those that are free and NO password are probably not secure !!!
those that are free but require a password are slightly more secure, normally get the password from cashier or some pubs etc have it printed at the bottom of the menu

never never use a free wifi to log into your bank !!!!!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
all depends on the wifi

My understanding is that as you connect over HTTPS when banking, all your transactions are encrypted are even if intercepted, cannot be read, is this not the case? I know its unsafe to use internet café's computors because they could log your key presses, but ok to use your own?

Ian

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You may be right, but I always use my dongle to access banks abroad if I need to, also whenever making a payment such as booking my return on the tunnel. I never book my return crossing before I leave as then I am tying myself down to a date which I do not like to do.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
all I can say is that I used my laptop when on holiday abroad at a local café to check bank balance for my company and a few days later had an unauthorosed transaction and after quite a few months the fraud team came back and said that the transaction had taken place due to someone logging my details over the internet and they suggested it must have been a free internet site as some of these are cloaned and you are actually going via somebody else's computer to access the internet and they are logging your logon details etc for use later on. I had all the bank protection on my laptop. It was no a small amount of cash either, thankfully (if that's right) it was my Co a/c and not my personal a/c

I no longer use my laptop in ANY public place !!!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
What about the situation where you have a secure token like HSBC give their customers how can someone hack your account then? Genuine question.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
How does all this fraud part work if you are using a app like Santander on a ipad that's what Elaine and I use
It's got me thinking now ?

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Sorry can't answer that one for definite but would assume that it should be okay. same if you have a card reader but with mine you just entered everything online
username
password

then do transaction and enter a second password and transaction complete so if you are going through another computer they can see and record all your details, I always thought that everything was encrypted but seems they are actually viewing your laptop as you use it so before the encryption stage I believe. All too complicated for me but as I said I now never use unless I know the wifi is 100% secure

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
what I forgot to say was that we got our money back eventually as they traced the various bank transfer all the way back ( think it went through 5 or 6 banks)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Secured or unsecured, if there're are bad guys running the wifi it won't make any difference. It sounds to me as if possibly you had file sharing allowed, so they were able to access your computer when you connected to the wifi just as if you were on a works/home network.

But your right, you can't be to careful.

Ian

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just had a word with HSBC regarding using free WIFI for accessing a bank account with a Secure key. They don't see how anyone can gain access to my account without current Secure key values. (Providing the Secure key is always in my possession that is.) Having Rapport installed also helps.

Anyone disagree or have any other thoughts?

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
if that's what your bank are saying then that's good as you will be covered if anything goes wrong, which hopefully it will not

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
all depends on the wifi

those that are free and NO password are probably not secure !!!
those that are free but require a password are slightly more secure, normally get the password from cashier or some pubs etc have it printed at the bottom of the menu

[HI]
[/HI]

Thanks for confirming what I thought I already knew. This then prompts the question if you are away in France say, and you want to do some bank transactions, what is the safest way, any ideas?

Norman

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I might need help here!

I use two different banks online.

One will not pay anyone until I enter a 6 digit code which they text to my phone and the other uses the pin sentry thingy which needs a bank card and a pin code and then an eight digit number is sent to the thingy and then I enter it to confirm the payment. Sometimes I have to do this twice.

I use this on free wi-fi every now and again.

How do the fraudsters get hold of my £12.50 life savings...?

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back