Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
We are looking at fitting an external b-b-q point on the camper-----I am looking at using the old (now unused) gas supply to the genny------if I fit the new point onto this pipe will I be able to fit an external bottle to supply the system, as well as run accessories, like b-b-q ???------will the gas flow both ways ???--------------can the point be fitted inside a locker ??
Nigel & Pamala

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I would say that gas is like water, it can flow in any given direction, unless there is something to stop it. ie a tap.
So if there is pressure pushing it along it should go anywhere it can.

Recently I asked about having an extra pigtail fitted in the gas locker so that in a dire emergency I could connect a spare gas bottle (in case I could not find a garage to top up onboard refillables), as I have a spare 6kg Calor bottle.

The answer was to fit the gas bottle with a regulator and b-b-q plug in and feed the gas in through the b-b-q point, as the gas will go both ways.

I'm sure someone will tell me how dangerous this is, but I am open to all advice on here, as it's the best advice I've ever had. :thumb:

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
That is exactly what we are after-----we carry Camping Gaz bottle (for B-B-Q) And although these are VERY expensive to exchange, they are available just about everywhere, so could get us out of a fix:Smile:-------and if we stay where a local bottle is practical we have that option:thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I fitted (but never got to use) a bullfinch gas barbecue point.

It's rather like a ball valve. Insert the gas pipe and turn and the gas flows either way.

A neat solution really and I can't see anything wrong with it as long as you have a regulator on the gas bottle.

Do ensure that a thorough check for leaks is undertaken - be Gas Safe :thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
These bbq outlets are just that , outlets and perfectly safe to use for it's designed use, however they should not be used as an inlet, yes it would work but you can no longer isolate each appliance inside, not sure of the effects it would have if you also had the normally used bottle turned on and obviously it would be hazardous if you had no bottle connected as you would be relying on a single tap to stop your vehicle filling with gas, They are designed as outlets and should only be used as such and I think most carry warnings saying this either on the outlet or in the fitting instructions

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
What you are looking for is commonly described as an extend-a-stay. We have one fitted in the supply to hab beyond the fixed tank valve. With fixed tank turned on its a BBQ point, with fixed tank switched off and a spare bottle (with its own regulator) can be fitted to supply the habitation requirements. So best of both worlds. I have room for 2 x 11kg bottles as well as the fixed gas tank.

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi
We are looking at fitting an external b-b-q point on the camper-----I am looking at using the old (now unused) gas supply to the genny------if I fit the new point onto this pipe will I be able to fit an external bottle to supply the system, as well as run accessories, like b-b-q ???------will the gas flow both ways ???--------------can the point be fitted inside a locker ??
Nigel & Pamala

shame you not at newark i could have fitted you one there:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Maybe one of the two traders could clear up the matter on whether it is safe or possible to use these bbq points as an alternative gas inlet, I was pretty sure that the advice I gave earlier on in the thread was correct but always glad of either conformation or correction by those in the know.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe one of the two traders could clear up the matter on whether it is safe or possible to use these bbq points as an alternative gas inlet, I was pretty sure that the advice I gave earlier on in the thread was correct but always glad of either conformation or correction by those in the know.
a couple of years ago at one of the shows i watched someone having a gaslow system fitted on site.

I could be mistaken but it could have been Mark at CLS doing the fitting.

as the gaslow bottles are supplied empty the van owner needed a temporary gas supply until a gas fill was possible.

simple...the removed 'non fillable' bottle was fitted with a regulator and connected to the bullfinch BBQ outlet with the gaslow bottles turned off.

there is no difference feeding gas in to the van this way to using a calor bottle, except you have one more joint in the system....the bullfinch connector.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
These bbq outlets are just that , outlets and perfectly safe to use for it's designed use, however they should not be used as an inlet, yes it would work but you can no longer isolate each appliance inside, not sure of the effects it would have if you also had the normally used bottle turned on and obviously it would be hazardous if you had no bottle connected as you would be relying on a single tap to stop your vehicle filling with gas, They are designed as outlets and should only be used as such and I think most carry warnings saying this either on the outlet or in the fitting instructions
why could the individual appliances not be isolated ?

the BBQ outlet would usually be connected between the inlet regulator and the inboard gas manifold so you still supply the manifold in the same way.

even if fitted after the manifold it would be common with just one appliances pipe and the others could still be isolated individually at the manifold or indeed be turned off altogether by isolating the common appliances manifold valve.
of course, the common appliance would still be live though.

basically it does the same job as a proper extend-a-stay connection.

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
This is in the instructions for the Truma bbq point;

Operating instructions
When external gas equipment is being connected, the operating pressure of the gas supply of 30 or 50 mbar must correspond with the operating pressure of the equipment that is being connected (see data plate).
The plug-in connection can only be made if the quick-acting valve is closed. The safety locking mechanism can be released by sliding back the coupling sleeve.
The coupling K-valve is designed such that the quick-acting valve can only be opened if the connection is being made via the plug-in connection. The connection is made by inserting the plug-in connection into the safety coupling.
This operation can be carried out using one hand. After un- coupling the equipment, seal off the valve opening using the protection cap.
The external gas socket is only suitable for removing gas, not for feeding gas into the gas system.
As quite a large supplier of gas products I would assume they have a valid reason for the warning they give in their instructions. I have only ever fitted their version so not sure about others, I'am sure if it did the job of a proper extend a stay then Truma wouldn't miss the chance of marketing it as such

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

Operating instructions
When external gas equipment is being connected, the operating pressure of the gas supply of 30 or 50 mbar must correspond with the operating pressure of the equipment that is being connected (see data plate).
The plug-in connection can only be made if the quick-acting valve is closed. The safety locking mechanism can be released by sliding back the coupling sleeve.
The coupling K-valve is designed such that the quick-acting valve can only be opened if the connection is being made via the plug-in connection. The connection is made by inserting the plug-in connection into the safety coupling.
This operation can be carried out using one hand. After un- coupling the equipment, seal off the valve opening using the protection cap.
The external gas socket is only suitable for removing gas, not for feeding gas into the gas system.
As quite a large supplier of gas products I would assume they have a valid reason for the warning they give in their instructions. I have only ever fitted their version so not sure about others

They haven't mentioned fitting a gas bottle with a regulator, so possibly they are covering themselves if someone tries it without one. If you did connect without a regulator I would imagine there would be one hell of a whoosh when you turned the bottle on. :Eeek:

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
They haven't mentioned fitting a gas bottle with a regulator, so possibly they are covering themselves if someone tries it without one. If you did connect without a regulator I would imagine there would be one hell of a whoosh when you turned the bottle on. :Eeek:

Come and see me at Newark show for advice if needed we have a stall there :thumb:
Ash

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Operating instructions
As quite a large supplier of gas products I would assume they have a valid reason for the warning they give in their instructions. I have only ever fitted their version so not sure about others, I'am sure if it did the job of a proper extend a stay then Truma wouldn't miss the chance of marketing it as such

For one reason and one reason alone.......if the valve stub is pulled out, either intentionally, maliciously or by accident, there is no way to stop gas escaping from the open hose connected to the bottle, other than turning off the bottle.

once connected it is just as safe as connecting the regulator to a bottle.

if used for its intended purpose, if the stub is pulled the safety valve is automatically closed and no gas can escape from the system

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
For one reason and one reason alone.......if the valve stub is pulled out, either intentionally, maliciously or by accident, there is no way to stop gas escaping from the open hose connected to the bottle, other than turning off the bottle.

once connected it is just as safe as connecting the regulator to a bottle.

if used for its intended purpose, if the stub is pulled the safety valve is automatically closed and no gas can escape from the system

I see your point, but I'm sure an insurance company would rub their hands with glee if anything did go wrong and they came across a bottle connected as such to what should be an outlet, I definitely would not advise any of our customers to use the bbq outlet for anything other than it's intended purpose.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Yup no sense flogging this horse

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun