MiFi in France (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to bump this thread again, but wanted to seek clarification about the data sim card to buy for France.. We want a 90 day one.. The 3Gb one that can be topped up sounds good... I believe Phill D was the adviser on the original thread.. We have bought the Huwae unlocked MiFi he recommended and now just need the sim... Thanks in advance Mitch.. PS Fitted the Gasit refillable cylinder kit, now just got to get it filled and checked when the weather improves.. Mitch..

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Sorry to bump this thread again, but wanted to seek clarification about the data sim card to buy for France.. We want a 90 day one.. The 3Gb one that can be topped up sounds good... I believe Phill D was the adviser on the original thread.. We have bought the Huwae unlocked MiFi he recommended and now just need the sim... Thanks in advance Mitch.. PS Fitted the Gasit refillable cylinder kit, now just got to get it filled and checked when the weather improves.. Mitch..

We would be interested in where you get 90 days sim in France. From what we understand from various funsters any trips in Europe needs to have sim or comms from the individual country as the phone/broadband companies have a way in which they can restrict signals or confine them to specific areas. We could be wrong though and you would need to check. As an aside we also in the computers section of fun just recently asked the question "what in retirement should we consider for home phone and broadband" this may also give you some answers and it may be worth a look.
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've just ordered my monthly Sim from 0044.co.uk to be used in my smartphone, you can get data cards from the same place, we intend to roll the contract for 3 months while we are in France.

You can't tether but you can get a data card and use WI fi from the mi fi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Tethering means using the data from your smartphone in your PC. But you can do it the other way round, if you buy a data card.costs £49 month though for 3gb.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
[HI]I've just ordered my monthly Sim from 0044.co.uk t[/HI]o be used in my smartphone, you can get data cards from the same place, we intend to roll the contract for 3 months while we are in France.

You can't tether but you can get a data card and use WI fi from the mi fi.

£49 month though for 3gb. Looks Expensive....:whatthe:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We would be interested in where you get 90 days sim in France. From what we understand from various funsters any trips in Europe needs to have sim or comms from the individual country as the phone/broadband companies have a way in which they can restrict signals or confine them to specific areas. We could be wrong though and you would need to check. As an aside we also in the computers section of fun just recently asked the question "what in retirement should we consider for home phone and broadband" this may also give you some answers and it may be worth a look.
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry

Hi Ann & Harry....we have Dongles so we have a Sfr sim and a Orange sim for France...we have "3" network for the Uk....and a Vodafone for Portugal...all pay as you go..

Mel

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
£34 month for the smartphone plan but a have canceled our 3 plans for the UK until we get back, that was costing us £30 a month for mine and Tez contract.
Lots less data allowance though will use WI fi a lot.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Sorry to back onto this thread, but has Anyone got any info on pay as you go deals for Italy? We are going to Sicily and have a huewai 586 mifi and want to buy a months data SIM card, preferably before we go.

I Tried the Wind.it website, but guess what it is in Italian, far above my basic grasp!

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Bob

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I use an Orange PAYG Mobicarte sim in France at €9 per month for unlimited data on my phone.

For occasional use in Europe if I'm just there for a day, and I don't want to top up my local sims, my UK Vodafone charges £3 per day when roaming and I have my full home contract allowance on calls, sms and data.:Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to back onto this thread, but has Anyone got any info on pay as you go deals for Italy? We are going to Sicily and have a huewai 586 mifi and want to buy a months data SIM card, preferably before we go.

I Tried the Wind.it website, but guess what it is in Italian, far above my basic grasp!

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Bob

Just a suggestion;

For Italy the Europasim gives you 500mb allowance per day for €2 per day, better than their 100 MB at 2.50 € per day in other Euro countries.

Link Removed

There is an upfront charge though of €39 for the sim, which includes €5 of credit and they do charge a fee of €3.90 for top ups....

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Oh wise and knowledgeable Funsters. :active:

Can someone tell me what I want?

I dipped into this and thought that Adam's MiFi gadget and SIM seemed to be good value but I'm not entirely clear :Blush:

It's Link Removed

My travels this year will be exclusively in France with a two week break in May, five days in June and a three week trip Aug/Sept. With hopefully something else workload permitting.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Can someone tell me what I want? What I really really want....

I dipped into this and thought that Adam's MiFi gadget and SIM seemed to be good value but I'm not entirely clear :Blush:

It's Link Removed

My travels this year will be exclusively in France with a two week break in May, five days in June and a three week trip Aug/Sept. With hopefully something else workload permitting.

If you use a Europa Sim in conjunction in the MiFi, and with your laptop connected you will find you can very quickly and easily exceed the data allowance of 100 mb per day for €2.50 in France.

If you exceed the 100 mb any given day it will cost you €1 per Mb.... Ouch....

If you use a local Sim, you need to check if it can be used in a MiFi or Dingle, some can some can't.

You need to start with thinking how many devices you want to be connected at any one time, and how much data you feel you would consume each day or month, and that will also depend on the type of device you are intending to use.

I have a MiFi but have not used it for a year or more. I just tether to my phone or dongle depending where I am and which Sim I am using. I also have a wifi antenna...

ps. Remember every time you top up a EuropaSim it costs €3.90 regardless the size of top up, (whether €5 to €50)

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

It's Link Removed

All I can say is what I have purchased from
motorhomewifi has been good, because he himself will have already tested these items himself.....+ you will have back up knowledge if you have a problem. I had to sort out my own problems plus two other mifi's for friends.

This is what I purchased a mifi from the uk a "3" network for around £50 (I got mine chaeper due to some deals on....then I had to unlock it cost about £2.00 and change the apn address...then I had to buy a pay as you go french sim SFR ...this was a package a cle(dongle) 29.99 euros with a sim card with some MB on it...
The way under stand it is they do not sell the sim card on its own it comes with the dongle ...after that you just top up ...
so looking at the link ....I think what you get from motorhomewifi.com is everything and its all done for you...at a similar price:thumb:...or have I read it wrong.

Mel

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001

It's Link Removed

We have used a mifi for at least 2 years, and never been let down.

The initial cosst of this package is a little high, but it does have advantages;
Pay only on the days you use it.
Use it all over Europe, (no use if you are staying UK bound)
Allows more than one device to be connected.
When over the water, you have contact....no shoping around for a local perchase sim.
You do not have to use the local camp site connection, which may be unsecure.
You do not have to visit the locaal library to obtain a secure connection.
You do not have to go to McDonalds for coffee and a free open connection, it can be done when you want, in the comfort of your own rig.

I now have an unlocked mifi, and am seriously considering the sim only route, for the times BT Fon is not available, and when in Europe. IMHO its a fair deal:thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
If you use a Europa Sim in conjunction in the MiFi, and with your laptop connected you will find you can very quickly and easily exceed the data allowance of 100 mb per day for €2.50 in France.

If you exceed the 100 mb any given day it will cost you €1 per Mb.... Ouch....

If you use a local Sim, you need to check if it can be used in a MiFi or Dingle, some can some can't.

You need to start with thinking how many devices you want to be connected at any one time, and how much data you feel you would consume each day or month, and that will also depend on the type of device you are intending to use.

I have a MiFi but have not used it for a year or more. I just tether to my phone or dongle depending where I am and which Sim I am using. I also have a wifi antenna...

ps. Remember every time you top up a EuropaSim it costs €3.90 regardless the size of top up, (whether €5 to €50)

Oh I knew it wouldn't be easy - I still may have to make a decision :RollEyes:

Two iPhones, two iPads, two Kindles (although the wife and I do talk to each other as well). I have a Adam's iBoost WiFi aerial but find you can't always pick up a fon (or free/unlocked signal) that easily in France.

Maybe tethering isn't such a bad deal for occasional use...

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
what amazes me is there are realy only 4 major players in europe and when it comes to them paying tax they declare they are multinational but when it comes to charging the customer the become single country companies

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back