Fading decals & peeling plastic panels (1 Viewer)

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
We bought our c.i. carioca m.h. new in 2004. There are two colours in the design, orange, and blue.The blue is like new, but the orange had faded badly and in alot of the design it had comletely faded back to white. I have since masked up the decals and resprayed them to an almost perfect match,and bringing the looks of our van back to life again,but now another problem, some of t he lower plastic skirt panels are peeling the top coating of laquer,
leaving a dull matt scruffy looking finish.the decals started fading about 4years ago, and the plastic panels about 2years ago, I showed my dealer when the problems started and was told it was because i was parking it in the sun, Our m.h.is or pride and joy (and a big financial investment). I wash and polish it when needed, so are these unexpected dissapointments meant to be the norm when owning a newish motorhome? yokeljohn :cry:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Sadly yes...

I lost part of a decal strip on my old (2004) MH. I had to remove the remainder on that side and the other to even it up.

The front bumper had to be taken off, stripped and resprayed due to peeling paint.

The roof decal was in a mess.

The bonnet decal had to be removed and replaced.

The plastic trim covering the screws in the profile between wall panel and skirt had shrunk and needed replacing.

There is more work than you would think keeping a MH in good condition.:Sad:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: all the vinyl we use only has a life of 7 years there is some with a 10 year life there is a cost factor but there is some with 3 to 5 years life. Printed vinyl only last 2+ years I would think manufacturers would be trying to keep the cost down they are not looking 10+ years down the line looks nice in the showroom. To last I think would be better stenciled and sprayed on graphics would last better. although every time it is polished it removes some paint so in the end that would fade :Smile:

:ROFLMAO: in larger print for the hard of hearing :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My Winnebago had similar tendancies. Faded, and peeling edges of the graphics. A local graphics manufacturer made some new ones for me and removed the old ones. They were not exactly the same but you would hardly tell. Looked much fresher.
My new to me fifth wheel trailer has aluminium walls and the graphics are painted. They are as good as the day the trailer was manufactured. A much better job altogether.

Craig

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I have manufactured vinyl graphics since 1980 and had very few problems with over 26,000 vehicles signwritten. Among these were hundreds of the early Compass Motorhomes and these didn't show any problems until after 12 years. The main problem with vinyl breaking down is the cost. As the new screenprinting process arrived most manufacturers had the colour printed directly onto flat colour vinyl, black / white, cheap. This is why when your colours are fading to white it is the ink fading to reveal the original base colour below.
If a graphic is manufactured with an original colour vinyl it should last well over 12 years. I have a customer with fridge body vehicles still in use and crisp after 17 years.
As usual it all points to cost and we never used any screenprinted graphics, rubbish.
If you require any existing graphics renewed it is a simple process. Use tracing paper to create a template. ANY local graphics company will be able to copy your template and supply you with a new set of quality vinyl. Be sure to insist on a good brand with at least a ten yeay life. This should keep them looking fresh for at least 12 to 15 years.
Good Luck.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Something in your post rang alarm bells ..

I wash and polish it when needed

As we all do, but !

An awful lot of people are unaware that silicone based polish is a reet pain in the bum !!

It attacks carbon fibre and eventually delaminates it, and it affects the glues used on just about every type of automotive grafixs

Yes, the fading will be the sun bleaching the colours ( and as orange is a particularly 'weak' colour that makes it worse ) but the delamination could well be the type of polish you are using.

Have a look on the bottle and check for silicate content.
On cars ( paint ) silicone polishes are bloody fantastic but they are not safe to use on ALL applications

Will not help your present problem but may stop further ones :thumb:

ken gogerty

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Funster No
Camper Decals, etc.

I used a company off the Internet called Sticker Bucket.co.uk who supplies/makes all manner of transfers for campers/caravans.
162 Walsall Rd. Norton Canes, Cannock, Staffs. I found them to be a good company to deal with :thumb: :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Something in your post rang alarm bells ..

As we all do, but !

An awful lot of people are unaware that silicone based polish is a reet pain in the bum !!

It attacks carbon fibre and eventually delaminates it, and it affects the glues used on just about every type of automotive grafixs

Yes, the fading will be the sun bleaching the colours ( and as orange is a particularly 'weak' colour that makes it worse ) but the delamination could well be the type of polish you are using.

Have a look on the bottle and check for silicate content.
On cars ( paint ) silicone polishes are bloody fantastic but they are not safe to use on ALL applications

Will not help your present problem but may stop further ones :thumb:

Looks like I'm doing the right thing for once:Smile:. I hate washing vehicles, especially large ones so our MH rarely gets a wash.

OP
OP
Y

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
fading decals.

+Thanks for your replies, i normally use turtlewax or simoniz cream polishes but iam not sure if t hey contain silicone, i dont have any problems with the decals peeling, and avoid rubbing hard over the decals.regarding the peeling panels, the rear light panel was peeling its laquer coat in several different places,i had to remove it to work on the underside of the wooden floor which had to be exstensifly repaired due to water damage, i repaired some small damage to the panel,but as Ă­ could not get a good colour match for the grey plastic i decided to spray it white, it is all back in place now and looking much smarter than it was before, i am intending to rub down the other side panels that are peeling, and plan to spray t hem with a clear protective laquer when the weathers right, any tips? Then just a small matter of a roof water leak {sorry dealers, water ingress) to sort out,, I,ll get :thumb::thumb::thumb:finished one day yokeljohn. .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back