Free Member
Apr 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
Hi there
could anyone tell me waht i have to do to get the C1 needed to be able to drive a motorhome? my hubby can already drive one and i also want to be able to share the driving - just unsure what the test involves if i need lessons - like with a car?

any adice welcome :)

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Motoring (Official DVLA Site)

How to add higher categories to your driving licence (staging and upgrading)

If you hold a full car driving licence (category B), it may be possible for you to apply for provisional entitlements in a higher category. There are also circumstances that will upgrade a lower category on your licence if you pass the driving test in a higher category.

Staging

If you passed your driving test on or after 1 January 1997 and you want to learn to drive a larger vehicle, you may be able to apply for the higher category. Once you have obtained provisional entitlement on your driving licence you can take the test in that category. For example, a driver must hold a full car licence (category B) before being able to apply for a provisional licence to drive a lorry, minibus or bus.

This is known as staging and will apply from the smallest to the largest vehicles.

The full details can be found here:

Vehicles you can drive and how old you must be to drive them : Directgov - Motoring

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find details of what you need to do to upgrade your licence BUT in summary:

Get yourself a provisional licence then go to a driving school for advice, pass your medical and eyesight test - (if you need one), pass the theory test, take some lessons and then take the driving test.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
freakylady

freakylady

Free Member
Apr 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
thanks

thanks for the info shall let you know how it all goes :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi there
could anyone tell me waht i have to do to get the C1 needed to be able to drive a motorhome? my hubby can already drive one and i also want to be able to share the driving - just unsure what the test involves if i need lessons - like with a car?

any adice welcome :)

What the gross weight of your bus?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
freakylady

freakylady

Free Member
Apr 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
:)
i passed after 97 - so can only drive up to 3500kg - unfortunately gotta do the test and stuff just wondered what others experiences of the test etc :)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the C1 test needs exactly the same medical and test standard as the C test which I took 2 years ago except you do it in an under 7.5ton vehicle.

First need to change the licence for a photocard version and get a medical,
then down to RTT and use their computers for the theory practice, then after a few weeks do the theory test, fairly easy as long as you have swotted up on the highway code.

Then 1 weeks intensive driving and then the test, cost about £1100 in total test & training. Personally I would take the C not the C1 as the size difference in the lorries is marginal, and you then have the option of a large RV ::bigsmile:

The "E" is a supplement to a licence that allows you to tow various weight trailers.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
So were most of us when we first went for the test but it is soooooh worthwhile to gain experience of the bigger vehicle whilst under proper tuition. I totally agree with Olley's statement that you should go for the C Licence - it could save you a lot of money if you decide to go up to a larger motorhome later - and you can always get a spare time job as an agency driver. :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi freakylady, so was I, hardly slept for the week I was doing the intensive driving, but after it was over, I wondered what I worried about, I mean it not as if my job depended on it.

Tester was very chatty and called Ian same as me, so I knew he was a good guy, ::bigsmile: Asked me if I wasn't a bit old for a change of career, cheeky sod.

If you fail you just take it again a week later after 1 more days training, that's what RTT (Rolling Transport Training) told me anyway, they block book tests so they can fit you in very quickly. I would imagine other training firms do the same.

Olley

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back