LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I know there's going to be a fair few old hands on here rolling their eyes when they read this, but here goes anyway.
After our Christmas trip we (me) drained the tank until all the taps ran dry, including the shower. The heaters drains itself apparently! This morning while giving the interior a quick clean, before Chester, the spout on the bathroom sink tap came away in my hand, small split in end. Then I noticed then the kitchen tap had an even bigger split and also came off. Why? Is it frost damage or old age? The van is 18 years old, is it going to be difficult to get replacements? I'm going to put water in the tank tomorrow and test the heating system too, keeping everything crossed at the same time :whatthe:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Can only seem to post one photo at a time. The first one in the bathroom tap and this one is the kitchen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Can only seem to post one photo at a time. The first one in the bathroom tap and this one is the kitchen.

You can get a near identical replacement in the Ann Summers catalogue. So I'm told.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the link jhorsf, I am hoping to buy just the spouts. Hadn't really banked on forking out over £100 for new taps at this time. Will send them an email though to see if they can get me the parts I need.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
frost damage for sure.

no matter how old they are they wont just crack for no reason.

did you close the taps once drained by any chance ?

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Well, I can't remember but one of us must have done. The other half has been doing work on the interior lights so he would have put the 12v back on at some point, he might have shut them off when the pump came on. Mind you I might not have left the taps open in the first place. This is our first winter with the van so it's a bit of learning curve. Our last van just had a cold micro tap and the water drained back down the pipe without holding any in the tap itself, or at least that's what I think it did!!

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I made the same mistake myself last year. Thought draining down was enough but forgot to leave the washroom tap/showerhead open and split the body near the valve. Really nuisance first trip out, doing my best to bung up the pipework so the sink and loo would work. Paid out best part of £100 to replace.

Someone hear suggests blowing down the open tap (relatively easy if you can remove the shower head like ours) to make sure all residual water is gone.

Steve

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I'm going to do myself a winter check list ready for next winter. I always end up doing these types of jobs as Colin is away working so much, the only trouble is I end up getting blamed when things go wrong. Dreading put water in the system tomorrow, goodness knows what else I'll find.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
do you know the make of tap?

here also

Looks like you might have cracked it there. Will give them a call tomorrow. The taps are a slightly different sizes so a chat with them should help.

There's no name on the taps but they look like old Reich, but can't be sure.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, I can't remember but one of us must have done. The other half has been doing work on the interior lights so he would have put the 12v back on at some point, he might have shut them off when the pump came on. Mind you I might not have left the taps open in the first place. This is our first winter with the van so it's a bit of learning curve. Our last van just had a cold micro tap and the water drained back down the pipe without holding any in the tap itself, or at least that's what I think it did!!

I made the same mistake myself last year. Thought draining down was enough but forgot to leave the washroom tap/showerhead open and split the body near the valve. Really nuisance first trip out, doing my best to bung up the pipework so the sink and loo would work. Paid out best part of £100 to replace.

Someone hear suggests blowing down the open tap (relatively easy if you can remove the shower head like ours) to make sure all residual water is gone.

Steve
Indeed, if the taps are closed the very small amount of water in the spout will settle back into the lowest point, the valve or cartridge, and there will be enough to freeze and split the spout.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When draining and leaving taps open it might be a good idea to remove pump fuse in case 12v gets inadvertantly switched on and left on when you leave the van-it cost me a new pump last yr when mine burnt out ::bigsmile:
It was actually a blessing in disguise as the new (upgraded) pump is so much more powerfull than the old one.

Thankyou Camper uk for advising me of upgrade and supplying new pump so quickly.

Mike.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
WHY NOT SAVE ALL THE BOTHER AND FIT HOUSEHOLD TAPS THAT DO NOT SPILT :winky: and are far better and cheaper
terry

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
That`s what I did last year when mine froze an cracked went to the plumbers merchant bought a basin lever mixer an two new connectors and put that on.total cost £37.00, cos a lot of this caravan stuff is over priced and crap.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Right, can't put it off any longer. I'm off to put water in the tank and (hopefully) get the heater working and check nothing else has cracked during the cold weather.
Wish me luck.:Eeek:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Note to self - Do not turn taps on without the spouts fitted, there's definitely nothing wrong with the water pump! The bathroom is now drying out after a comedy moment with water shooting out and up! Everything stored in the shower soaked :Doh:
Good news is the heaters working and nothing else seems to have suffered frost damage.
Two new taps ordered from here Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back