Free Member
Jan 19, 2010
arboleas spain
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
three years
I hope someone can help me please. I have a Hymer 1992 310d 555s. My ABS light has come on. I explained to my mechanic I heard a noise prior to the light coming on, he thought that it may have been the ABS pump due to the noise. He changed the pump but the light is still on. He has carried out a resistance check on the front and rear sensors, the 2 front sensors were ok but 1 of the rear sensors was high. i am told the sensors are the problem.

The Chassis No. WDB 6024 111P 171392

Does anyone know where I can obtain rear sensors?

Merecedes Part Numbers.
Left: A 000 540 1117
Right: A 000 540 1017

Bosch Part Numbers:

0265 001239
0265 001240

I am also looking for an English Manual for my Hymer.

Thank you

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I hope someone can help me please. I have a Hymer 1992 310d 555s. My ABS light has come on. I explained to my mechanic I heard a noise prior to the light coming on, he thought that it may have been the ABS pump due to the noise. He changed the pump but the light is still on. He has carried out a resistance check on the front and rear sensors, the 2 front sensors were ok but 1 of the rear sensors was high. i am told the sensors are the problem.

The Chassis No. WDB 6024 111P 171392

Does anyone know where I can obtain rear sensors?

Merecedes Part Numbers.
Left: A 000 540 1117
Right: A 000 540 1017

Bosch Part Numbers:

0265 001239
0265 001240

I am also looking for an English Manual for my Hymer.

Thank you

Spose you could try Mercedes dealer for the parts.:thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Fault lights on dash

I am no expert on these things but:

You don' t say whether you have plugged a fault code reader into the vehicle.

If it applies you really need to get someone to plug in a OBD reader to the vehicle and find out the fault code.

It may well be something less serious than you think.

The computer in the vehicle checks everything every time you start but may not reset the indicator light immediately after you replace something.

You could be replacing all sorts of things before it goes out.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as the sensors are in an extreme environment it may be worth removing the faulty one/s and giving them a clean as they can be affected by road dirt...nothing to lose except a little time.

it does take a short while for the warning light to clear once the fault is fixed...
mine, Chrysler 300c car which is basically a re-bodied mercedes E class , took around five mins driving before the light went out.

the faulty sensor wont affect braking except you wont have the anti-lock function.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

If it applies you really need to get someone to plug in a OBD reader to the vehicle and find out the fault code.

The computer in the vehicle checks everything every time you start but may not reset the indicator light immediately after you replace something.

1993 year wont be OBD compliant..

OBD didnt become mandatory until 1996 at the very earliest and that was on American vehicles.

OBD for european diesels became mandatory in 2004

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Pappajohn you are correct

You are correct I had a quick search on internet and came across this:

mercedes 310d i have a hymer motorhome based on a 1992 mercedes

i have a hymer motorhome based on a 1992 mercedes 310d l/h/d the abs light is on is there a plug in system to diagnose faults and where is it likely to be positioned

[FONT=&quot]Additional Question Details[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Country: United Kingdom
Make: mercedes
Model: 310d
Year: 1992
Engine: 2.9

Already Tried:
checked all sensor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Posted by Diagnostics Engineer 569 days and 9 hours ago. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Expert's Answer [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Diagnostics Engineer : [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hi,
Please let me know the VIN of your van.
Regards,
Stan[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Customer : [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]vin no WDB6024111P257666 engine no 60294010232806[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The control unit does not have a fault memory. The only way to diagnose is to check all of the components one by one with tester.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The most common cause for ABS failure is the overvoltage protection relay's dry solder joints, failed brake light switch or bad wheel speed sensors.[/FONT]

This was on justanswer.com :Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush:

joeyo

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
Hi any idea on the abs ring part no or how many teeth it has, thinking of retrofitting abs onto a merc 410
thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi any idea on the abs ring part no or how many teeth it has, thinking of retrofitting abs onto a merc 410
thanks
Brave or clever......
Where are you going to fit the tone rings, sensors, pump and electronic control unit ?

Tone rings are usually within the hub bearing carriers
The sensors fit in dedicated casting holes in the same.
Pump would be the easy part after re-piping all the brakes.
How will you wire the control unit as they are wired from the PCM

joeyo

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
dont know yet, just doing research as theres an abs unit for sale, i belive the ecu is pretty much just the glowplug relay and dash lights on these, the abs seems to have all its own circuitry on board, yes sensor and ring mounting might be tricky but if i know the ring holes i can fab up something to fit not necessarily in pre cast holes

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The ABS will have its own circuitry but its still controlled by the PCM.
The hub/driveshaft won't have the necessary mounting surface for the tone rings and are easily damaged.
they are a tight interference fit on the hub/shaft for a reason.
I can't see any possible way to overcome this and to be quite honest it's a waste of time trying....BUT..it's your choice of course.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Fault lights on dash

Its a 1992 van. Pre computers

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've not braked hard enough, ever, to affect the ABS in the motorhomes I've owned. Prior to that, and in any vehicle, I can count the number of hard or emergency stops I've had to perform on my fingers. On that basis, and in 50 years of driving, it's wasted on me. So, and this is a serious question, what has happened to the OP to convince him or her of the need to retro-fit ABS?

joeyo

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
same reason anyone would want abs, to help steering and reduce stopping distance in emergency stops and on loose surfaces, you obviously drive on good roads, the roads around here often are strewn with mud and horse shit for most of the year so loosing traction under breaking doesnt take that much effort. Have driven a 308 for years without problem or need for abs but saw a 410 abs for sale so thought i would see what it would take to upgrade, mayb its more trouble than its worth but if the info is out there id be interested to know.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to help steering and reduce stopping distance in emergency stops and on loose surfaces
ABS doesn't shorten stopping distance but it does allow you to steer safely (within limits) on loose/snowy surfaces as opposed to sliding with the wheels locked.
More of a controlled skid than an 'oh shit !' skid

joeyo

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
of course it decreases stopping distance, more so on good surfaces, apparently it can increase stopping distance on very loose surfaces and snow compared to locking wheels but i think the ability to have some control outweighs the increased distance
i have driven both with and without and definitely prefer to have it for those rainy days

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same reason anyone would want abs, to help steering and reduce stopping distance in emergency stops and on loose surfaces, you obviously drive on good roads, the roads around here often are strewn with mud and horse shit for most of the year so loosing traction under breaking doesnt take that much effort. Have driven a 308 for years without problem or need for abs but saw a 410 abs for sale so thought i would see what it would take to upgrade, mayb its more trouble than its worth but if the info is out there id be interested to know.

of course it decreases stopping distance, more so on good surfaces, apparently it can increase stopping distance on very loose surfaces and snow compared to locking wheels but i think the ability to have some control outweighs the increased distance
i have driven both with and without and definitely prefer to have it for those rainy days

You say the roads around you are generally covered in mud and horse crap....read on.

ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreasesstopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces; however, on loose gravel or snow-covered surfaces, ABS can significantly increase braking distance, although still improving vehicle steering control.

And if you read again I said....

ABS doesn't shorten stopping distance but it does allow you to steer safely (within limits) on loose/snowy surfaces as opposed to sliding with the wheels locked.

Cooldude

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Last week the electronic brake failed on our just 3 years old Peugeot 3008. We also has ABS messages. Called out breakdown and he discovered the offside rear speed sensor was not working. Took it to garage, all OK now, a new £50+ sensor was fitted, and all issues, warning lights on dash now resolved. They told us that they also found that the wires to the sensor were frayed. As they were not protected, the continuous up and down movement at the rear, whilst driving frayed the wires on the metal sheet bodywork. Thanks for the common sense build protection Peugeot! I wonder when the wires to the speed sensor are going to fail on the other rear wheel! - Just a thought it could have been the wires all along. Perhaps the mechanic should have checked the wires before they installed the new £50 sensor! Rant over!

Hey Ho! - I am going to lie down now!

Grumpy Pete.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

ABS will increase stopping distances - it just gives you steering control.

When ABS occurs you will be surprised how much the braking forces reduce. It's quite frightening when the vehicle just stops slowing down as you expect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back