Suggestions on sites in South Wales with full facilities - open this week (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I'm trying to help a friend who's just bought herself a campervan and wants to try it out this week. She asked me for some suggestions on sites, with the following criteria:

1) not too far from home, so South Wales and across the border;
2) full facilities + EHU - it's more of a day-van at the moment, with no on-board battery;
3) C&CC member, so club sites and CSs allowed.

and my list of places so far is pretty short, not helped by the fact that a lot of sites are closed. Anybody got any suggestions please? So far I've come up with:

Hereford C&CC
Blackmore C&CC
Erwlon, Llandovery (my first ever trip)
Dare Valley, Aberdare (never stayed here...not sure...reviews are 50/50)
Christchurch Camping-in-the-Forest, Monmouth

...and that's it :Sad: Any others?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There's a CC site just outside Newport - Tredegar Park.

Pub in walking distance:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
whitemead forest park forest of Dean,,, not cheap but great facilities.

or go west to Saundersfoot couple nice CLs there.

cwn deri vineyard?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
We had a good week here a couple of years ago nice coastal walk to Saundersfoot.

Link Removed

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Just had a relaxing weekend at Happy Jake's Campsite. Between Barry and Porthcawl.
Quiet at the moment, but good facility block and EHU

http://www.happyjakes.co.uk/

Have fun

Kev

Just down the road.

So, with St. Athans and Cardiff International Airport next door, did you sleep well? :Smile:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Home farm in brean sands would be excellent choice not far to travel full facilities plus indoor swimming pool I'm not sure if wisemans bridge are still taking tourers but wouldn't recommend for someone new to motorhoming access not the easiest

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Home farm in brean sands would be excellent choice not far to travel full facilities plus indoor swimming pool I'm not sure if wisemans bridge are still taking tourers but wouldn't recommend for someone new to motorhoming access not the easiest

What's the Wisemans Bridge site like?

I was in the pub opposite over Christmas and it is in a great position. I have read some pretty negative reviews about the facilities though.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Pembrokeshire

St David's Lleithyr Meadow Caravan Club Site.

Fanatstic little town only a short walk away, amazing views from the cliff top walks excellent campsite, all grass but extremly well drained.:thumb:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Treacle sorry I don't know what the site is like , know when I've been to wisemans bridge in the summer lots of tents in the field also not the easiest place to take a motorhome in the summer unless you go early or late in the day

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
Just down the road.

So, with St. Athans and Cardiff International Airport next door, did you sleep well? :Smile:

Slept very well, no night flights :thumb:
or at least was not this weekend

Kev

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Site in Wales

Has to be Pembrokeshire every time, God own country, and RAF St Athans has been closed to planes for years and they don't fly at night from Cardiff airport.

Sep 21, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Transit Coachbuilt
Exp
Well travelled ex tugger.
What's the Wisemans Bridge site like?

I was in the pub opposite over Christmas and it is in a great position. I have read some pretty negative reviews about the facilities though.

I'm in Swansea so not too far from Wisemans Bridge site. The site itself is in a great position and the pitchs are all flat and gravelled. There are beautiful walks into both Saundersfoot ( about 30 minutes gentle stroll) or Amroth a little more energetic but about the same time.

The facilities are not brilliant but there is hot water at the dish washing area 24hours. The showers are electric and the tokens are £1 each but are reasonably hot and you could get 2 of you showered if you're good friends (they're on for a good 5 minutes). However they should be much better for the £25 charged for a night.

The advantage is the Wisemans Bridge Pub. The food is excellent (although a little pricey) and the setting is wonderful. You can hear the sea lapping on the shore from the site which is only a few yards away. I must admit I've wild camped a few times at the far end of the seafront carpark whilst caravanning friends have stayed on the site and others have stayed B&B in the pub.

Definitely worth a visit for a few nights but a whole week??

Daiboy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks Dai.

I might give it a try one weekend.

I agree about the pub. I had lunch there and the portions were absolutely huge but very well cooked.

I reckon I could get stuck in there though if I was staying over the road::bigsmile:

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi
There a deal at unity farm in bream free weekend this week for new users of the site ,like a try before you buy, you only have to pay if you want ehu otherwise it's free.its got to be worth a visit.
We have taken up ther offer and will be there're for Friday until Sunday.

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Suggestions on sites in S. Wales

Hi,
Have a little look at Anchorage site, in Bronllys nr. Brecon.
Full facilities @ £15 pn
Great quiet site.
Bus stop outside for Hereford, Abergavenny, Brecon, Hay etc
Nice pub in village with good food.
We'll be there for 1st outing 12th March for 3 nights.
Why not join us ????

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
...RAF St Athans has been closed to planes for years and they don't fly at night from Cardiff airport.

I thought there'd at least be flights to/from Cardiff until quite late but no, 9:30 seems to be the latest tonight. So not a problem.

The showers are electric and the tokens are £1 each but are reasonably hot and you could get 2 of you showered if you're good friends (they're on for a good 5 minutes).

5 minutes! I'd barely get my hair done in that time! :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back