The cheapest and so far the best. (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In the interest of fellow Funsters comfort & economy ( and knowing how much they like a toilet discussion) I have been researching the best toilet additive.

Started off with the Funsters favourite, bio laundry liquid. Used Tesco & Asda own brands, £1.60 a litre. It was ok, litre bottle did about 6 treatments for best results. Tried stretching t to 8/9 but results were not pleasant.

To make sure I wasn't missing out I bought a bottle of "ecological" chemical at Shrewsbury Motorhome Show. £10. Used as directed it should have cost about 20 to 25 pence per treatment. Uggghhh. Not as good as bio liquid. Had to use far more and the slightest drop of liquid stained plastic, latex gloves, skin. Do not ever get it on your clothes!

Next tried Asda liquid laundry capsules, the green Bio ones. Cost would be about 18p per treatment. Brilliant. No smell on emptying. Ease of use can't be beaten, no measuring, just drop in a liquitab.

I saw Asda bio powder at £1 a box so thought I'd give it a try. I used a 250ml (1 cup) measure. Even better than liquitab s. Have dropped the dose down to a half cup measure ( this is a cooking measuring cup, not a tea cup) and still good enough. Cost will be about 10p pert treatment

Heavier to carry around, measuring involved but so far the best results and the cheapest.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Well done that lady, dedication above and beyond the call of duty.:thumb: in all seriousness good tips, thank you. :Smile:

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Just the kind of tips beginners like us are looking for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I knew those years spent researching in Eastern Europe and Africa would come in use. Obviously they were just practice for my real vocation in life --- toilet research!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
A good test that, I will give it a try.

Another forum I visit did similar test and they liked the Formil tablets or liquid sold by Lidl.

I was not keen on the tablets but the liquid is good, and that's what I am using now.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Heavier to carry around, measuring involved but so far the best results and the cheapest.

Would it be worth the trouble of preparing pre-measured doses wrapped in paper bags/envelopes of some kind?

Just a thought

Wyn

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Must be a lady thing. I use the cheapest option....... I don't use anything. Emptying is a bit smelly but you get used to it. 4 Years fulltiming now and never bought any.

Thanks for doing the research though:thumb: Nice job::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just as a point of interest, which is the best toilet tissue as since I have started taking my newspapers online am coming to the end of my supply. The nail in the door can then be utilised for something else :Smile:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Izal medicated :winky:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Telegraph for the posher bum. BUSBY. Big issue for me.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Best bog rolls are the free ones, yknow every time you go to the shop bogs, grab a andful pub, public toilets, posh friends( cos they buy the softer stuff):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
dock leaf double sided, as nature intended

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just as a point of interest, which is the best toilet tissue as since I have started taking my newspapers online am coming to the end of my supply. The nail in the door can then be utilised for something else :Smile:

But just be careful you don't use the sharp end!!!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Asda bio powder at £1 a box.........so far the best results and the cheapest.

Good find, thanks Hollyberry. As a matter of interest does the 'bio' mean this is biogradeable or biological ? I thought that only biodegradeable is safe for sewage (less harm to the environment and all that?)

:Smile:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just found this......

Many rural public toilet will have private sewage systems - concerns regarding the use of dry powder biological powder:

Often dry powder clothes washer soap appears as clots and clogs in the system.
Passing solid clumps of detergent into the septic tank speed clogging of the system and in severe cases can even block a building drain.

"Budget" powdered laundry detergents contain extra amounts of fillers (in some cases montmorillonite clay) which increase the risk of system drainage or drainfield clogging.

Surfactants in detergents (and from any source) are toxic to fish, basically suffocating them by interfering with the ability of the fish's gills to absorb oxygen from water.
Phosphates in detergents pass through the septic system (or municipal wastewater treatment system) and enter surface water causing very high growth rates of algae. The algae growth, in turn, suffocates fish and other life in rivers, streams, lakes, and ponds. The rapidly growing "dead zones" at the edges of major water bodies around coastal areas are blamed on surface runoff that contains phosphates, (probably largely from agricultural use).

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Asda ingredients......

Asda Smart Price Washing Powder contains amongst other ingredients: Less than 5%, Zeolite, Polycarboxylates, Oxygen Based Bleaching Agents, Anionic Surfactants, Non-Ionic Surfactants, Phosphonates , Also contains: Enzymes, Optical Brightener, Perfume .

I've just answered my own question............it's food for thought eh?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back