Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
At 12 midday today I was following a large 2012 Autotrail motorhome on my way to the post office in Lampeter. As we were slowly coming into the town, I saw an old H reg, (1990?) Swift Kontiki coming out toward us.

I saw the the driver of the Kontiki, give a casual wave, by raising four fingers while keeping his thumb on the steering wheel, but in the passenger seat was a pretty little 8 year old girl, complete with ponytails, and boy was she waving, with both hands, determined to get a reaction :Smile:

The sudden delight on her face, told me she had got a wave from the Autotrail, and as they passed me I saw her animated as she turned to discuss the encounter with her dad. Lovely....

I have so many fond memories of our kids when they were young, hunting out motorhomes to wave at. Left me at the post office thinking, ...we need to foster some kids::bigsmile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
At 12 midday today I was following a large 2012 Autotrail motorhome on my way to the post office in Lampeter. As we were slowly coming into the town, I saw an old H reg, (1990?) Swift Kontiki coming out toward us.

I saw the the driver of the Kontiki, give a casual wave, by raising four fingers while keeping his thumb on the steering wheel, but in the passenger seat was a pretty little 8 year old girl, complete with ponytails, and boy was she waving, with both hands, determined to get a reaction :Smile:

The sudden delight on her face, told me she had got a wave from the Autotrail, and as they passed me I saw her animated as she turned to discuss the encounter with her dad. Lovely....

I have so many fond memories of our kids when they were young, hunting out motorhomes to wave at. Left me at the post office thinking, ...[HI]we need to foster some kids[/HI]::bigsmile:

Steady on there, steady on now Jim, I think that may be going a bit too far:Doh:

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
sian told me she takes a big kid camping with her all the time. lol:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012

The sudden delight on her face, told me she had got a wave from
the Autotrail, and as they passed me I saw her animated as she turned to discuss the encounter with her dad. Lovely....

I have so many fond memories of our kids when they were young, hunting ou
t motorhomes to wave at. Left me at the post office thinking, ...we need to foster some kids::bigsmile:

Many moons ago, back in the 1950s, I have many happy
memories of the annual holidays, travelling with my parents in France, Spain and Italy, in a Vauxhall Victor with all the camping gear on the roof rack and then later, with a Bedford Dormobile (my sleeping area was across the front bench seat with my feet under the steering wheel!). In those days, we waved at any other Brit vehicle, with great excitement as we hardly ever saw any other GBs then. Perhaps that's where the MH wave came from lol! :winky:
PS. Still get a kick out of waving but, of course it's only to other MHs now!
::bigsmile:

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'm older than 8 and still enjoy a cheery wave as we pass another motorhome ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

It seems a shame when people clearly refuse to wave back. You just wonder why some people are that mean-spirited.

Do not seem to get much response from the horse boxes and delivery vans that I inadvertently wave to occasionally.

Also I have to restrain my right arm when passing motorhomes while driving the car :Doh:
as it just becomes an automatic response!

Wyn

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
We love it ::bigsmile:

Brought back many happy memories of when we were kids and had a VW and/or were members of the AA or was it The RAC? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
After leaving the Services, while I was waiting for my Seaman's Book to come thro, I took a job driving China Clay Trucks long Distance,. The Company had 17 four Wheelers, 4, 6 wheelers and 3, 8 wheelers, and we waved to each other when meeting on the road.

If driving a 4 wheeler, you raised your hand, a 6 wheeler you waved across half the Windscreen but for an 8:RollEyes: you swept your arm across the Cab as far as you could reach:Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

I have so many fond memories of our kids when they were young, hunting out motorhomes to wave at. Left me at the post office thinking, ...we need to foster some kids::bigsmile:

At around £450 a week for each kid I am surprised the imports have not cottened on ::bigsmile:
Granson hates us waving :ROFLMAO: your more likly to get a finger off him than a wave ::bigsmile: must say it gives us great pleasure watching the faces of kids when you wave,even if they are in the back of a bus :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

Right, we're on the way.
How many do you want?

:roflmto:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Do not seem to get much response from the horse boxes and delivery vans that I inadvertently wave to occasionally.

Wyn

:ROFLMAO: Yep and the Gaslec vans don't wave back either!!!::bigsmile:

I am pleased to know that my waving gives the kids something to smile about :Smile: ... especially when I nearly go down a hole in the road cos I'm too busy concentrating on the wave...:Sad::Doh:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Many moons ago, back in the 1950s, I have many happy
memories of the annual holidays, travelling with my parents in France, Spain and Italy, in a Vauxhall Victor with all the camping gear on the roof rack and then later, with a Bedford Dormobile (my sleeping area was across the front bench seat with my feet under the steering wheel!). In those days, we waved at any other Brit vehicle, with great excitement as we hardly ever saw any other GBs then. Perhaps that's where the MH wave came from lol! :winky:
PS. Still get a kick out of waving but, of course it's only to other MHs now!
::bigsmile:

That sounds like me.
Although not camping, we also used to travel down through France, Switzerland and Italy in the late 50's & early 60's . My dad driving an old Humber Hawk and later coincidently a Vauxhall Victor (we lived in Luton:winky:). I used to be enthralled at all the places we passed and all the different vehicles on the road. My job was GB lookout and we would wave frantically and flash lights at any ones that passed. It was a 5 day journey to get to our destination near Viariggio. No motorways in those days. Great memories :Smile:

How sad that now my grandkids never look up from their DSs when travelling in car. :shout:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've given up waving since we got the WildAx - we look just like a white delivery van and no-one waves back at us anymore :cry::cry::cry:
Thats just the opposite to us , allways had van conversions before usualy homemade , no one ever waved to us but when we got the new van we thought something must be wrong (rooflight up or somthing) when folks kept waving

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
We've given up waving since we got the WildAx - we look just like a white delivery van and no-one waves back at us anymore :cry::cry::cry:

Welcome to the club :Sad:

I've been behind a coachbuild, and several motorhomes coming in the opposite direction have waved at that and then totally ignored me :cry:

And.....no names.....I've been with a bunch of Funsters in a minibus, who've waved at coachbuilds.....and then ignored a PVC!!!!! :whatthe:

I tell you...they're all snobs on this forum....::bigsmile:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm older than 8 and still enjoy a cheery wave as we pass another motorhome ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

It seems a shame when people clearly refuse to wave back. You just wonder why some people are that mean-spirited.

Also I have to restrain my right arm when passing motorhomes while driving the car :Doh:
as it just becomes an automatic response!

Wyn
We always wave. And yes often have the urge to wave when in the car. Sure any motorhome waver will understand if I did.

Lin

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I would imagine you get more waves in a coach built or A class then the likes of me in a van conversion because van conversions are not as easy to spot

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I'm amazed how many folk wave at me as I'm cycling along. Very animated waves, often accompanied by shouts of encouragement - at least I assume it's encouragement from the animated expressions on their faces. Happens far more often when I'm on the bike than when in in the motorhome, which is nice I guess...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The VW camper wave took us by surprise when we first got one - you used to get looneys waving at you across six lanes of motorway traffic, such was the dedication. However we rarely got a wave from owners of type 3s for some reason, only bays and splitties. Must be some sort of hierarchy there.

We also used to get the surfer shaka salute a lot - thumb and little finger.

It seems a bit silly waving to VWs now as it's all a bit tribal, but I usually wave to other MHs, including on the continent.

I also saw an interesting variant of the MH wave whilst driving near Whitby last October. The other driver had his index finger pointing upwards and was jabbing it at the sky. Then I realised my ****ing satellite dish was still up.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I always wave.. but woman rarely does.. She can be a miserable sod sometimes !!! :roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
She used to wave but says there are so many vans on the road if she waves at them all her arm aches !! So rather than pick and choose she does not wave to anyone !!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you DO see us about and woman waves, be aware you are among the honored few !! :thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
queen-elizabeth_1.jpg

Lady waved to Sheila Recently:winky:

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm amazed how many folk wave at me as I'm cycling along. Very animated waves, often accompanied by shouts of encouragement - at least I assume it's encouragement from the animated expressions on their faces. Happens far more often when I'm on the bike than when in in the motorhome, which is nice I guess...

Are you the guy I have seen with the split lycra shorts ?:roflmto:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F

bl**dy ell Jim judging by that last statement its time for Sian to change your medication.your tablets are obviously getting to strong for you mate:roflmto:
brian jo and josh

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

We look like a blue delivery van in our WildAx, and no one wave to us either! They used to wave at our Autosleeper Symphony van conversion - the stripe across the hi-top makes them quite recognisable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back